Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MP and Sercuity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> MP and Sercuity Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 6:37:27 AM   
dayrinni

What roles does these play (in fite hehe) and whats the best way to use them? thx!!
Post #: 1
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 6:56:25 AM   
freeboy

The security troops are not good front line troops but can e used in a pinch.. they work best split up into componmenet parts and assigned to areas for Partisan control
I like the mps, they are designed to be used at high road use hex to loer the penelties, but as they are VERY mobil, I like to use them as breakout and capture terrian units, especially int he begginning as your panzers and other follow up troops pay a smaller movement usegae penalty moving on owned hexes.

(in reply to dayrinni)
Post #: 2
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 10:50:30 AM   
SMK-at-work

And they're great for filling in that last hex to surround someone too....

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 3
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 10:58:49 AM   
FaneFlugt

As the soviets I use them as roadblocks. Place them on crossroads or behind destroyed rivers. It will slow down the germans.... for a few minutes

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 4
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 2:22:51 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: FaneFlugt.DK

As the soviets I use them as roadblocks. Place them on crossroads or behind destroyed rivers. It will slow down the germans.... for a few minutes

Since the Soviets can't divide units, such small units should be used to help evacuate divisions from outflanked positions, preventing disengagement penalties.

Anyway, all these are very gamey uses which result for the units having different capabilities to their historical counterparts. MPs should have no engineers, no motorcycle squads and no trucks. Then they are more likely to be used as MPs.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to FaneFlugt)
Post #: 5
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 5:20:19 PM   
Zort

Golden, so for FITE what do you think the composition should be. I am willing to change the units to reflect a more realistic unit. I know the game has an issue that smaller units are harder to kill then big ones. Maybe taking out some of the extra squads will make them more vulnerable.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 6
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 5:21:37 PM   
FaneFlugt

Yep forgot that use. And yes its a bit gamy.

I like to leave a NKVD unit in important cities. And roleplay that they are busy burning documents and likvidating enemies of the state!

< Message edited by FaneFlugt.DK -- 3/7/2007 5:37:49 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 9:35:24 PM   
freeboy

OK, to say a unit use is gamey may be valide, but it is VERY possible that like units could have been created for these purposses. Like mini little action groups... easy to imagine the use of small detachments, and I dare say if we did the research componenet elements of the larger groups PROBABLY worked as we use these units...
In games that fudge units composition and break down to such large degrees, trust me we need it! the "misuse" of units I find often errors on the side of reality. IE yes THESE units could not do this historically, but component parts of larger mobile units raced ahead to capture vast areas of space, privided surround support and other uses. IMO

(in reply to FaneFlugt)
Post #: 8
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 10:01:12 PM   
SMK-at-work

This would all change, of course, if hex stacking penalties were dynamic - ie the game counted how many units had moved through the hex already and based movement penalties on that rather than how many were there now.

then MP untis would quickly become traffic lights IMO

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 9
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 10:06:59 PM   
FaneFlugt

Smart

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 10
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 11:00:17 PM   
freeboy

good call S.. I thought the game DID do that,, my error.. the mps could easily be restricted with house rules...

(in reply to FaneFlugt)
Post #: 11
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/7/2007 11:32:32 PM   
SMK-at-work

I'm full of good ideas - I'm just glad I don't have to try to make any of them reality!!

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 12
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/8/2007 2:04:48 AM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort

Golden, so for FITE what do you think the composition should be. I am willing to change the units to reflect a more realistic unit. I know the game has an issue that smaller units are harder to kill then big ones. Maybe taking out some of the extra squads will make them more vulnerable.

MP Squads only. As to the number, set supply and readiness of a unit really low, and see how few MP squads you have to give it before its traffic control level starts to drop off below 99%. That's how many squads it should have.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Zort)
Post #: 13
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/8/2007 2:26:11 AM   
Telumar

Maybe some trucks?!

Post #: 14
RE: MP and Sercuity - 3/8/2007 2:17:06 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Maybe some trucks?!

I wouldn't recommend it. If you make these units even semi-motorised they will get used as light cavalry. The Panzer divisions have a platoon of MPs in the HQ anyway- you don't need motorised MP regiments keeping up with the spearheads.

Something similar goes for motorised flak. The stronger of these units- the ones with some squads- I push ahead with the panzertruppen and use to complete encirclements. The weaker ones get used to convert terrain. AA may be more deadly in TOAW III (conceivably too deadly), but the Russians just aren't flying over me. So the AA gets used for something else in the early going. Now, these units were genuinely motorised, but I'd say tone it down a bit. Then you'll get some more realistic behaviour.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 3/8/2007 2:35:31 PM >

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> MP and Sercuity Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI