Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations - 3/18/2007 4:04:18 PM   
herwin

See Truk Analysis

Very interesting in its implications for WiTP.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Post #: 1
RE: Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations - 3/18/2007 5:31:38 PM   
String

Very interesting, thanks for the link.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations - 3/18/2007 6:52:31 PM   
spence

One might infer from this that maybe 4E bombers are not so highly overrated as some would have us all believe.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 3
RE: Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations - 3/18/2007 7:17:26 PM   
Cpt Sherwood

I think some of the problems are that 4 engine bombers were not very effective against ships that were underway and trying to avoid the bombs. Ships in port should be vunerable to level bombing attack. The game engine seems to make it too easy for 4 engine bombers to hit moving ships.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 4
RE: Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations - 3/18/2007 7:36:19 PM   
String

Also with the game engine you'll close truk in two days with 4e bombers, atleast in stock.

(in reply to Cpt Sherwood)
Post #: 5
RE: Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations - 3/18/2007 7:50:55 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

Also with the game engine you'll close truk in two days with 4e bombers, atleast in stock.

For how long?

The KB closed Darwin, and I had it up and running again (no damage) in five days. (Whisper: string doesn't know this, by the way. I'm playing whack a mole with him in Java. He hits an air base with the KB, and it's recovered in less than a week. Meanwhile I get a hit on a carrier or a battleship from time to time.)

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to String)
Post #: 6
RE: Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations - 3/18/2007 7:52:50 PM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

For how long?

The KB closed Darwin, and I had it up and running again (no damage) in five days. (Whisper: string doesn't know this, by the way. I'm playing whack a mole with him in Java. He hits an air base with the KB, and it's recovered in less than a week. Meanwhile I get a hit on a carrier or a battleship from time to time.)

In the case when truk is closed by 4E? Forever. I dont think any allied player would pass the opportunity to keep that base closed by assigning a bomber group or two for a daily raid.

edit: and yes, i'm acutely aware of the fact that bases dont stay closed for a long time. The darwin raid was a dissapointment in the end. I hoped to catch some B-17's and other assorted airplanes on the ground. I didn't. But I did on Java, I think i've destroyed about 200-300 airplanes on the ground and in the air there, only loss being Shokaku recieving a torpedo from a dutch submarine.

I have destroyed the bulk of the ABDA airforce which was indeed my aim. Shutting down every airfield on Java as japanese is impossible.

< Message edited by String -- 3/18/2007 8:00:22 PM >

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations - 3/18/2007 8:21:40 PM   
herwin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

For how long?

In the case when truk is closed by 4E? Forever. I dont think any allied player would pass the opportunity to keep that base closed by assigning a bomber group or two for a daily raid.

edit: and yes, i'm acutely aware of the fact that bases dont stay closed for a long time. The darwin raid was a dissapointment in the end. I hoped to catch some B-17's and other assorted airplanes on the ground. I didn't. But I did on Java, I think i've destroyed about 200-300 airplanes on the ground and in the air there, only loss being Shokaku recieving a torpedo from a dutch submarine.

I have destroyed the bulk of the ABDA airforce which was indeed my aim. Shutting down every airfield on Java as japanese is impossible.

I had my aircraft dispersed around Northern Australia, with a couple of inland bases functioning as recovery bases. You hit Darwin hard enough to put 99 hits more than twice. (In my air targetting systems, I let the targeteers know when they had over-kill.)

The goal of a good anti-aircraft system is to make the payoff for bombing a bean field equal to the payoff for bombing something you really want to defend (taking into account the damage to the attackers). To do this, you have to give up defending some selected assets in favor of defending the remainder. One way to do this is defend everything initially, and stop defending the stuff that gets hit hard. Leave something at those bases to confuse BDA and sell them to the attacker over and over.

I'm beginning to work on Rabaul... 8)

As I recall, you've taken out about a third of the ADBA aircraft. I've got enough supplies to keep the Allied replacements coming, and I've been keeping the squadrons dispersed.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to String)
Post #: 8
RE: Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations - 3/18/2007 8:53:02 PM   
LittleJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpt Sherwood

I think some of the problems are that 4 engine bombers were not very effective against ships that were underway and trying to avoid the bombs. Ships in port should be vunerable to level bombing attack. The game engine seems to make it too easy for 4 engine bombers to hit moving ships.

Very true for both sides, but as the Allies have the bigger hammer in the late war years it becomes most apparent then.

(in reply to Cpt Sherwood)
Post #: 9
RE: Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations - 3/19/2007 1:13:38 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

One might infer from this that maybe 4E bombers are not so highly overrated as some would have us all believe.

In game terms, the problems with 4 engine bombers is not their individual effectiveness, but the numbers employed. The Allies cycled units off the front on a fairly regular basis. The game allows you to keep units at the front for much longer than in real life. The game also allows you to strip rear areas and move everything up to the front.

Both sides always kept a fair bit of their assets held back in rear areas. A large number of Allied units never were on the front lines. A large number more were only on the front lines for a short time and then relegated to back waters.

The political point cost for switching from a restricted headquarters should go up the more units you change. In real life, the West Coast commander would have raised hell if field commanders were given all his bomber force. The real political repercusions of that would have probably gone all the way to Roosevelt. Many West Coast units, especially after the first few months of the war, were units going through training and should be represented with low experience.

Another factor is that units don't get disbanded. Many units that appear in the game early in the war are disbanded by the middle of the war. In many cases, the pilots in those units were dispersed to new units coming into the theater. In the game, you have these units until the end of the war.

By early 1943 in the game, the Allied played has at their disposal air power that real life commanders only dreamed of. 4 engine bombers and B-25 were both extremely effective at their roles. The reason the Japanese weren't pounded flat by them is that there weren't enough of them to go around.

The game engine is broken when it comes to skip bombing. In the real world, fairly inexperienced crews were able to sink virtually anything smaller than a cruiser with this technique at very low cost. The 10 .50 machine guns (14 on the 8 gun nose version) the B-25 was able to put on the target on the run in was devestating to flak.

There were never more than a couple of B-25 squadrons in any one place at any one time. Even still, the cost of reinforcing New Guinea got too high due to the B-25s.

4 engine bombers were even harder to come by. The logistical costs of keeping the big planes flying kept them based on larger, well prepared bases after the early war chaos died down. Until the B-29 raids on Japan, a raid on a base with more than 20 heavy bombers was very rare.

The biggest thing to note about the Saipan base was that it was the first time during the war in the Pacific that a large number of heavy bombers had been concentrated in one place at one time. At least the first time the Pacific saw concentrations similar to what was normal in Europe.

On the WitP wish list, I suggested (or at least I think I suggested), a mechanism of withdrawl like the British ship withdrawl for Allied air formations. If you want to keep them, you have to pay political points. Some of these withdrawn units may return later (representing units that were rebuilt in the US), others might just disappear. This would keep Allied air power from becoming too overwhelming.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Herman Essay on Pacific War Operations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI