Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Right way to play a quick battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The War Room >> The Right way to play a quick battle Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Right way to play a quick battle - 10/13/2006 10:55:58 AM   
Montecuccoli

Hail to all,

I'm a fanatic player of 'Crown of Glory'. Usually i played detailed battle, but even at Highest level, i always won the battle even when i was 'otrageusly otunumbered'; so i turned to 'Quick Battle', i red the handbook and try to apply correctly but i can't figure out the right way to deploy or even what is going on when the battle begins.......

Can someone help me in 'understanding quick battle'?

Thanks in advance
Post #: 1
RE: The Right way to play a quick battle - 10/30/2006 5:03:21 AM   
AvalonHillfan

One thing I've noticed is that artillery is far more vulnerable in a quick battle than in detailed. Also, some special abilities are better than others. I find heavy cav particularly powerful. Oddly, irregular cavalry also seems powerful (but maybe that's only at lower difficulty levels).

(in reply to Montecuccoli)
Post #: 2
RE: The Right way to play a quick battle - 4/19/2007 6:35:57 AM   
GalacticOrigins

This is a good thread since there are differences between both styles of Combat.

In Quick Battle, each side places their units on the same screen and then the computer shoots and sometimes manuevers the units for you. There is no terrain.

In Detalied Combat a random hex map complete with terrain (hills, rivers, woods, farms, etc) is created and you move all of your units one at a time. Detailed Combat forces a general to deploy units to support each other. It is almost a mini-miniatures game at that point.

Both types can be used, and both are enjoyable.

Bear in mind, Detailed Combat takes longer to play but you can win easier and take far less casualties. In Quick Combat units retreat much easier. Any unit in Quick Combat with less than 4 strength (in men on the Military Advisor screen) will retreat almost from the beginning.

Quick Combat also seems to cause more casualties to each side, and is actually thus a little harder to win well with.

Crown of Glory is a very good, solid game with combat and economics for the Age of Napoleon.

(in reply to AvalonHillfan)
Post #: 3
RE: The Right way to play a quick battle - 4/24/2007 12:32:22 AM   
rokohn

I take it that if you are playing against the AI and want more of a challenge, you should play quick battles.  It will wear out your army more?

Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult;
. . .
Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you;
rebuke a wise man and he will love you.
Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still;
teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

(in reply to GalacticOrigins)
Post #: 4
RE: The Right way to play a quick battle - 4/27/2007 1:45:00 AM   
GalacticOrigins

I would have to say 'Yes'.

Quick Combat does seem to be a little harder on the the troops. All of your units will engage, and thus, take casualties.

(in reply to rokohn)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The War Room >> The Right way to play a quick battle Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI