Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Random Thoughts on Core Force Composition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Random Thoughts on Core Force Composition Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Random Thoughts on Core Force Composition - 4/20/2007 1:18:06 AM   
KG Erwin

I. AT Guns in an anti-personnel role: earlier, I'd asked about ATGs using canister rounds against infantry. There is no provision for this type of round in the game.

The US-USMC 37mm ATG was used against banzai charges in 1942-43, with devastating effect. The effect (at close range) was similar to that of a huge shotgun. However, this implies that the effect would only be lethal within ranges of at most 150 yards (3 hexes).

In comparing the various 37s across nations, I find that the 37mm M3 has an HE kill of 4. Most (but not all) countries' 37s have HE kills of 2 or 3.

While I have not tested this in-game, this leads me to believe that the US 37 could potentially be useful against infantry at close range. Now, this also exposes the crew to small-arms fire, but, in a desperate situation, they could stand and fight.

I write this as an observation, as I regard the Japanese tank threat as negligible. Even the light M2 and M3 tanks could take out the early-war Japanese AFVs. Therefore, I'm trying to find some justification for even making a 37mm AT section part of my USMC core force. They were part of the Battalion Weapons Company, so for historical reasons, maybe they should be included.

II. On-board indirect-fire artillery: aside from the mortars, the ubiquitous accompaniment to the Marines, throughout the war, was the 75mm pack howitzer. I long ago realized that these were useless in buying as off-board arty. So, as part of the support forces, I buy a battery of 75s to be placed onboard. Doesn't seem unreasonable. In a pinch, they could be used in direct-fire mode against enemy bunkers, and I will deploy that battery in a follow-up wave for an amphib assault.

As a house rule, though, I do NOT buy 105s for on-board use, even though they could be useful in an amphibious assault. I regard my force as the spearhead, so I have to rely on the naval and air assets, plus those few 75s and my mortars, for immediate fire support in establishing the beachhead.

III. The Combat Group/Team: for newer players, this is the toughest aspect to get a grasp on. I don't go with strict TOE command levels, like making the weapons company a discrete command element. Each of my three rifle companies is a separate maneuver element, with support derived from attached light mortars, machine guns, engineers and recon. The three tank platoons operate independently, and are shifted about as needed. I eschew the tank company HQ.

IV. The Battalion Commander's Role: to me, my primary role is to assign fire support from the onboard medium mortars/arty and all offboard assets. Ideally, you'd get through the entire campaign without firing a shot from your pistol, but some of you might be tempted to get into the fight. Believe me, it IS a strong urge.

In SPWaW, leading from the front can get you, and your entire battalion, in serious trouble. I learned this the hard way. If you just HAVE to get into the scrap, don't do it riding in a jeep. Buy yourself a tank to ride in.

Post #: 1
RE: Random Thoughts on Core Force Composition - 4/20/2007 5:17:24 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

III. The Combat Group/Team: for newer players, this is the toughest aspect to get a grasp on.

Tell me about it! I used to play Steel Panthers 10 years ago and I still don't have clear understanding what is proper mix of different elements or how to use them. I can beat Artificial Insanity, but I have a feeling if I go against any experienced human player, I would get my ass kicked and hard.

Probably most likely reason for any newbie to get more tanks than infantry units is becouse they can do so. And why not when one tank is more than match against two rifle squads (unless they are hiding and tank drives too close). Reason why my core has three tank companies and only two mechanized infantry companies is becouse it takes much less time to move tank company than infantry squads worth of same amount of points as tank company.

[edit]
And I happen to fight in North Africa where my attempts to use infantry and Jeeps proved to be suicidal even after suppressing enemy with tanks first.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 4/20/2007 5:22:08 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Random Thoughts on Core Force Composition - 4/22/2007 7:42:17 AM   
azraelck

I always figured the 'mass tanks' approach took in this and and similar games is due to misconceptions of the German Blitzkrieg. After all, popular media tells us that they simply used hordes of tanks to smash everything like an enraged Hulk.

Tanks are easier to move, but I don't find them a match for two rifle squads, unless those rifle squads are poorly positioned. Many times I've slaughtered even a decent enemy force due to my positioning, despite lacking utterly in any major AT capability. These were in user-created campaigns, not in the long game.

Before leaving for Linux, I had grown into the tendency to play simply to experiment with different forces and different tactics. I have a notebook somewhere with observations. While this would go some ways to honing effective techniques, they really had no advantages due to the fact that it was what I refer to as the A.S., not anything intelligent I was up against. Against a human opponent, things are obviously different.

"Wait... Holden was a cat. Suddenly it makes sense."

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 3
RE: Random Thoughts on Core Force Composition - 4/22/2007 8:21:21 AM   
KG Erwin

Azraelck, I played a PBEM game against a human opponent, with me as the big bad US Marines against the human Japanese in an amphib assault. Using historical tactics, I basically destroyed him.

Not so much different than playing a long campaign as the USMC. Yeah, I will suffer many casualties once the AI opponent stops the suicidal banzai attacks and shifts to a layered defense with all those caves and bunkers. However, I will ultimately triumph.

In this game, you don't rewrite history, you just see if you can do as well if not better than your historical counterparts, Tiger kiddies be damned.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 4/22/2007 8:23:30 AM >

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 4
RE: Random Thoughts on Core Force Composition - 4/22/2007 9:43:05 PM   
azraelck

But what tactics was the human player using? Humans are a unpredictable lot, and the results with one who might have been using historical banzai charges will be right in line with results against the A.S., which is led by none other than "Digital" Douglas Haig. Play someone else, and you might find a far different experience (win or lose).

So I do stand corrected, when a human player basically uses mass charges instead of actually thinking, then my experimenting would help. Against someone who thinks, then I'd be boned.

"Wait... Holden was a cat. Suddenly it makes sense."

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Random Thoughts on Core Force Composition - 5/16/2007 7:55:11 AM   
Wild Bill

Agreed with your thinking.An all tank force can be beaten, though such a composition is not historical at all and rather "gamey" at best.

By the way, I lobbied hard for that 37mm canister but could never get it. It still works pretty well though, as you surmised.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to azraelck)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Random Thoughts on Core Force Composition Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI