Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

unlikely shot penetrations suffered...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> unlikely shot penetrations suffered... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
unlikely shot penetrations suffered... - 7/6/2007 5:18:32 PM   
Rimrunner

I have played SP off and on since it first came out, and recently upgraded to SPWAW v.8.4 from 5.x

Playing the UK most often, I have developed a love affair with the thick-skinned Matilda II's - it seemed the only effective armour until at least 1942, in that it was the only British tank which could survive for long enough to take out the German Pz III's and IV's.

Now, (since v. 8.4), I am repeatedly experiencing things like this: Matilda II, facing the flank of a Pz IIIg at a range of, say 7 hexes, fires, hits, and fails to penetrate. (side armour 30, side turret armour 33, Matilda's 2-pounder should be penetrating, at that range, 52-point armour most of the time, not with one hitting shot in 5!). The German returns fire, against the front of the Matilda, and penetrates at least 6 times out of ten on average, destroying my theoretically safe tank (Matilda front turret armour 82, front hull 78, turret and hull sides 70; the IIIg's max penetration is 77, somewhat less at 7 hexes.... ooops)

I'm an idiot. Just been checking the loadout on the IIIg and learned something new. They carry a couple of APCR rounds......

Oh well, I'll post this anyway. Maybe it'll answer someone else's question.
Post #: 1
RE: unlikely shot penetrations suffered... - 7/6/2007 6:35:23 PM   
vahauser

Well, there are several factors to consider.

#1. The angle that the Pz-III has to the Matilda.  A poor angle will mean that the 2-lbr will be deflected and bounce.

#2.  Pz-IIIGs are supplied with a limited amount of APCR ammo which can penetrate 130mm or armor at close range.  And since your Matilda turret is turning directly to face the Pz-III, then the Pz-III has no target angle to consider when it fires back.  Thus, destroying the Matilda.

(in reply to Rimrunner)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> unlikely shot penetrations suffered... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI