Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vista & CHS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Vista & CHS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vista & CHS - 5/20/2007 7:30:33 PM   
pompack

Has anyone had any success loading CHS onto a Vista machine?

I am using the manual procedure but even this requires running one of Andrew's utilities; the result is several hundred "access denied" messages. I attempted to do a completely manual intstallation but apparantly missed some key steps since I get CTD's when accessing some planes/ships.

Any hints would be much appreciated
Post #: 1
RE: Vista & CHS - 5/20/2007 8:23:28 PM   
Terminus

Only one you won't want to hear... Try again...

(Sorry...)

Seriously, use a separate install for CHS (if you aren't already). If you do, you should have no problem copying over the CHS files without the use of utilities. I've done it.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 5/20/2007 11:00:03 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 2
RE: Vista & CHS - 5/20/2007 11:57:50 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Only one you won't want to hear... Try again...

(Sorry...)

Seriously, use a separate install for CHS (if you aren't already). If you do, you should have no problem copying over the CHS files without the use of utilities. I've done it.

Using a separate install already. When the CHS utility didn't run properly, I transferred all of the CHS files manually; obviously I missed one (or two or three) somewhere. My next step is to "try again" and I am going to scrup and re-install the WitP core as well.

Thanks for the encouragement since I was afraid that there was some secret step in the untilities that I was missing; I will perservere. This time I will not bother with the backup and the switching and just move everything I find in the various CHS install folders into the respective WitP folders. Thanks again T; I suppose it does build character

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Vista & CHS - 5/22/2007 8:34:35 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack
Thanks for the encouragement since I was afraid that there was some secret step in the untilities that I was missing;

No secret steps. Unless they are secret from me as well.

It sounds like Vista has some increased level of file "protection" which is causing this problem. As I don't have a copy of Vista, I can't confirm that one way or the other, although I have heard that Vista is supposed to have more of these types of "protections" that previous versions of Windows (and which is one of the reasons why I will be resisting having to use Vista for as long as humanly possible).

I am working on a new way of installing my map which will HOPEFULLY work better on Vista. In the meantime, following Terminus's advice, and double checking your file copying - especially all of the ship art - is the way to go.

Andrew

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 4
RE: Vista & CHS - 5/22/2007 9:54:29 AM   
frank1970

I have similar problems with a different program. Vista prevents the user to edit/delete some files, at least on the system partition. I have found no way to solve the problem yet. Maybe you should log in as administrator.

If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 5
RE: Vista & CHS - 5/22/2007 11:08:01 AM   
herwin

quote:

Has anyone had any success loading CHS onto a Vista machine?

I am using the manual procedure but even this requires running one of Andrew's utilities; the result is several hundred "access denied" messages. I attempted to do a completely manual intstallation but apparantly missed some key steps since I get CTD's when accessing some planes/ships.

Any hints would be much appreciated

That's the new Microsoft approach to security. Fine tuning is badly needed.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 6
RE: Vista & CHS - 5/23/2007 2:07:26 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Thanks for the encouragement since I was afraid that there was some secret step in the untilities that I was missing;

No secret steps. Unless they are secret from me as well.

It sounds like Vista has some increased level of file "protection" which is causing this problem. As I don't have a copy of Vista, I can't confirm that one way or the other, although I have heard that Vista is supposed to have more of these types of "protections" that previous versions of Windows (and which is one of the reasons why I will be resisting having to use Vista for as long as humanly possible).

I am working on a new way of installing my map which will HOPEFULLY work better on Vista. In the meantime, following Terminus's advice, and double checking your file copying - especially all of the ship art - is the way to go.

Andrew

I have now reloaded and repatched the WitP core and I have manually performed the map, extended map, CHS Base 2d, and scen 158.

The map looks good and the game seems to run well EXCEPT:

1. In the Task Force screen for a TF loading supplies there is no cancel load button; ;however if I hit the load supples button again loading stops
2. In the Task Force screen for a TF loaded with troops and sitting in a port, the unload troops is grayed out and there is no button
3. In the Task Force screen for an empty TF consisting of three AKS, the load fuel, troops, only troops, and oil/resources are grayed out and there are no buttons; the unload cargo/troops is grayed out as it should be.

Any ideas on what I did wrong this time?

Post #: 7
RE: Vista & CHS - 5/23/2007 3:17:45 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

1. In the Task Force screen for a TF loading supplies there is no cancel load button; ;however if I hit the load supples button again loading stops
2. In the Task Force screen for a TF loaded with troops and sitting in a port, the unload troops is grayed out and there is no button
3. In the Task Force screen for an empty TF consisting of three AKS, the load fuel, troops, only troops, and oil/resources are grayed out and there are no buttons; the unload cargo/troops is grayed out as it should be.

Can you use the '1' key, the 'F6' key and the 'R' key to ensure that the map data file matches the map you are using?

Andrew

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 8
RE: Vista & CHS - 5/23/2007 3:37:47 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

Can you use the '1' key, the 'F6' key and the 'R' key to ensure that the map data file matches the map you are using?

Andrew

AHA!

The maps LOOK good. All of the islands and the airbases match up. The extensions are in place.

BUT
F6 and R definitely DO NOT agree with the visual map. 1 does not seem to agree but I am a little vague about the codes it displays.

I am looking at the map data files now, but I am not sure what I am looking at.

EDIT:

EUREKA!!!!!

I did a compare between the WitP copy and the CHS copy which gave me a clue and then a search found TWO Pwhex files!!!

I corrected that, guessing properly which was the right one, and now the whole thing seems to work in spite of my manual ineptitude!

Thank you

< Message edited by pompack -- 5/23/2007 3:54:32 AM >

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Vista & CHS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI