Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

movement problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> movement problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
movement problem - 6/8/2007 6:51:17 AM   
stretch

Chinese troops just took Hanoi. Japanese retreated to Haiphong. I now wish to set my troops to march to Haiphong to press the attack. However I am refused due to the claim that I am moving from one enemy ZoC to another.

looking at the attached screenshot, I do not see how this is correct. Can someone enlighten me as to the error of my ways, or is this a bug ?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 7:16:05 AM   
Cpt Sherwood

It's a bug. Not sure if it is on any list to get fixed. It appears that some data field is not getting cleared.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 2
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 7:56:57 AM   
Vetamur

Yeah.. I get that all the time.. I usually solve it by telling the LCU to go to someplace beyond where I want it to go thats in a straight line.

Ive found getting my units to move around China and SE Asia is a cast iron b*itch. Units in China often refuse to accept any movement orders..

(in reply to Cpt Sherwood)
Post #: 3
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 8:28:44 AM   
bradfordkay

Unfortunately, in this case Stretch's troops can't be given a destinatio beyond Haiphong. They'd be marching into the South China Sea!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Vetamur)
Post #: 4
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 8:46:16 AM   
stretch

well given that I'm playing the AI and I dont really need that port, I'll just bypass and go elsewhere and those enemy troops will never move.

just like they never send kamikaze attacks.  or counter attack... or do ANYTHING in 44/45 except park CV's with no CAP in ports within 4 hexes of LBA.

look, a bad AI is one thing.. but with all due respect to GG et al..  there are some serious oversights here.  the complexity of getting an AI to do anything coherent in a game this size is immense.. but not having one single Kami attack..ever.. is kinda silly.

ok Im done.. i still love the game anyway.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 5
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 8:50:13 AM   
stretch

oooo I seemed to fix this issue by using vetamur's advice and ordering a unit to march to the sea hex adjacent to the city.  i got the expected message that I can't march into the sea. then I was able to set marching orders into Haiphong.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 6
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 8:59:14 AM   
bradfordkay

Well, I'll be... it worked!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 7
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 4:24:56 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Well, I'll be... it worked!

i'll have to remember that trick!!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 8
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 5:21:35 PM   
qgaliana

Sometimes I get this, and it works if I try again. I have the odd impression that it matters where in the hex you click (on the base icon, on land unit icons, on a clear space, etc.), but that may just be my imagination and it's just the retry. I just don't have the patience to stop my game and experiment exhaustively.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 9
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 6:27:30 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: qgaliana

Sometimes I get this, and it works if I try again. I have the odd impression that it matters where in the hex you click (on the base icon, on land unit icons, on a clear space, etc.), but that may just be my imagination and it's just the retry. I just don't have the patience to stop my game and experiment exhaustively.

I ditto this. I find that by banging away at various spots in the target hex, I can eventually get the order to stick.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to qgaliana)
Post #: 10
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 7:30:58 PM   
Vetamur

Wow..for the first time I gave semi-useful advice. To I lose my status as newbie now?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 11
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 7:40:09 PM   
RUPD3658

How badly disrupted are your troops?

Sometime thay will not enter an enemy hex if their disruption or fatigue is too high or if their morale is too low. Don't recall the numbers off the top of my head but it is listed in the manaul

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Vetamur)
Post #: 12
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 8:24:50 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

How badly disrupted are your troops?

Sometime thay will not enter an enemy hex if their disruption or fatigue is too high or if their morale is too low. Don't recall the numbers off the top of my head but it is listed in the manaul

Since he got them to finally march to the correct destination, apparently this wasn't the problem... also, he should not (i think) have gotten the error message he did receive if it was just disruption and fatigue.

i *think* if you try it and your units are worn out, they will accept the command (and then stop marching next turn) or you could get a variant of the "59 mile bug".

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 13
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 9:56:10 PM   
RUPD3658

Try each unit to see if any will accept orders to march

I have had occasions where specific units in a stack would refuse to march but others would. The fix for this was get one to accept orders then hit the "all march" or "All follow" buttons

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 14
RE: movement problem - 6/8/2007 10:48:17 PM   
Halsey

Another workaround.

Don't click on the base.
Instead, just click the hex.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> movement problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI