Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> More questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More questions - 6/13/2007 11:19:45 PM   
jcrohio

Just finished playing Wake Island again (best part about being a teacher - lots of time in the summer). Thought I played much better - slowed down, used cloud cover, watched my search screens etc.

Question 1. I think I have done this right - below is a picture of the victory screen which shows an Axis decisve victory. My question is the screen says "must deliver 11 CPs to Wake Island" or it is an Allied Decisive Victory. Unless I am reading this wrong it only delivered nine. Why is it an Axis victory?

Question 2. When you get your search reports in, do you launch strikes on the first report or wait for more to see how accurate the report is?

Question 3. The speed button - what is the logic of setting the speed lower than 9? When there is a lot going on I use the Run 5 button. When nothing is going on I use the other buttons. Regardless, play stops on most actions anyway. Just curious why you would need to slow down 5 minute intervals.

Question 4. I keep getting intermittent flashes. I have read about them occurring in the combat screen but I am getting them on all screens. JUst curiuos as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

Thanks for any help.

JAck

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: More questions - 6/14/2007 12:29:57 AM   
CTB123

2.  It all depends on the situation.  Does that sighting seem plausible?  Is it in the area where you had good sightings previously?  How desperate are you to get the jump on the enemy?

3.  I like to slow the speed down to watch incoming and outgoing strikes move across the map.  It creates more tension and suspense for me.

4.  I don't see them.

Tony

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 2
RE: More questions - 6/14/2007 2:55:37 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcrohio

Just finished playing Wake Island again (best part about being a teacher - lots of time in the summer). Thought I played much better - slowed down, used cloud cover, watched my search screens etc.

Question 1. I think I have done this right - below is a picture of the victory screen which shows an Axis decisve victory. My question is the screen says "must deliver 11 CPs to Wake Island" or it is an Allied Decisive Victory. Unless I am reading this wrong it only delivered nine. Why is it an Axis victory?

Question 2. When you get your search reports in, do you launch strikes on the first report or wait for more to see how accurate the report is?

Question 3. The speed button - what is the logic of setting the speed lower than 9? When there is a lot going on I use the Run 5 button. When nothing is going on I use the other buttons. Regardless, play stops on most actions anyway. Just curious why you would need to slow down 5 minute intervals.

Question 4. I keep getting intermittent flashes. I have read about them occurring in the combat screen but I am getting them on all screens. JUst curiuos as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

Thanks for any help.

JAck

1. Do you have any saves of this situation? If so, please head to the support forum and post there so we can check it out.

2. It's up to you to judge how plausible the report is. If you take every initial sighting report at face value then you will go astray a significant proportion of the time, but it's up to you to sort out the good from the bad. Also, initial reports are most innaccurate regarding location, so waiting a little bit will refine that info too, and give your strikes a better chance of finding whatever it is that's there in the first place.

3. Everybody plays the game a different way. We try to provide as many options as possible since we can't expect everybody to play the way we do. Speed control is essential for multiplayer anyway, so we let everybody use it if they want.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 3
RE: More questions - 6/14/2007 3:44:31 AM   
jcrohio

Gregor

Stupid question - how do you upload a saved game - all it will take are picture files.

Jack

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 4
RE: More questions - 6/14/2007 4:23:48 AM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcrohio

Gregor

Stupid question - how do you upload a saved game - all it will take are picture files.

Jack

OK, please skip that step and send an email with the save to support@ssg.com.au - that will certainly work.

Thanks

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 5
RE: More questions - 6/14/2007 4:58:08 AM   
jcrohio

Gregor

Game file sent

Thanks for the help

Jack

AND Gregor, CTB123 thanks for the help on my original questions
Jack

< Message edited by jcrohio -- 6/14/2007 5:40:44 AM >

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 6
RE: More questions - 6/15/2007 6:02:38 AM   
JD Walter

Hi jcrohio,

quote:

Hmm, interesting question. I, too, had the same reaction upon seeing your screenshot. But thinking about it, it appears the "Best Result if Failed" applies to the US (AI) side, not to your own, i.e., if you fail to deliver 11 CP's as Japan, you enable the AI to score a decisive victory, not limit yourself as Japan to no better than an American decisive (Automatic Victory).

Although enabled, the AI still must score the requisite number of superior VP's to exceed yours and merit a decisive victory. If it doesn't (or if, as in this case, your own score is greater), the proper victory level is still calculated and scored.

This would account for why you were indeed able to score a decisive, even though you had delivered <11 CP's.

It would be interesting to see Gregor or Roger explain their meaning here.

quote:

I usually wait for an update. Initial reports are fragmentary and overstated; most everything looks like a CV on the first pass over to a searchplane.

But if I have a hunch that's my opponent's main strike force, I launch. I play a lot of MP, and he who launches second dies first.

quote:

Never noticed you could do that. I've played CAW since the Apple II+ days (1984), and figured I knew most of the interface functions already. I'll have to read the manual again this weekend. Like yourself, I just Run 5 at the appropriate moments.

quote:

Sounds like a videocard driver issue. Recommend you check to see if you're running the best (not necessarily latest) drivers for CAW. What I mean is, some games run better on the ATI or NuVidia driver versions prevalent when they were programmed. For example, Civ 4 worked better with Catalyst 4.12 rather than the v.5 series ATI had available when it was released; this was because the game was programmed 18-24 mos. earlier, when v.4 was in use on the Radeon cards. The new Catalyst v.5-series drivers actually caused corruptions and artifacts on screen, which disappeared when I stepped my drivers back to v.4.12.

< Message edited by Def Zep -- 6/15/2007 6:27:46 AM >

(in reply to jcrohio)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> More questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI