Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

shrinking units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> shrinking units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
shrinking units - 7/3/2007 6:12:30 AM   
grumpyman

Maybe it is my imagination but some of my units are shrinking away. Two days ago I decided to give the grand campaign another shot. I still have things to learn about the game but I think I now know enough to learn while playing a long game. I am now at the beginning of Feb 42 and I decide to send part of the 102 USN base in Los Angles out to Baker Island, I click on the icon for that unit and find that the size of the unit has been drastically reduced. It doesn't even have aviation support anymore. Well I think to myself I must have loaded some of the unit up on a transport and sent it somewhere and I just forgot. I try to find a transport with the unit, but can't find one. I check other bases, maybe it already unloaded. I still can't find it. I do a few more turns and look at the remains of unit again. Lo and behold the unit is now down to 30 men. Is this a case of you don't use it you lose it? Is this unit supplying repacement? Am I just plain crazy (opening myself up for one here)?
Post #: 1
RE: shrinking units - 7/3/2007 10:24:32 AM   
dtravel

Sounds like something Rtrapasso needs to look at save games for.  The only in-game thing I can think of that would legitimately cause that is starvation due to lack of supplies, which ain't gonna happen in Los Angeles.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 2
RE: shrinking units - 7/3/2007 10:59:00 AM   
grumpyman

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

Sounds like something Rtrapasso needs to look at save games for.  The only in-game thing I can think of that would legitimately cause that is starvation due to lack of supplies, which ain't gonna happen in Los Angeles.

Well there still is the possibilty I sent the majority of the unit somewhere and can't remember that I sent it someplace and where. I clicked on the list units icon and it still showed the unit being in LA. It seems that the list units screen doesn't show where dispersed units are. This is a head scratcher for me. The unit is not all that important. I was just trying to get some air support units to combat zones since it is early 42 and support units are still sparse.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 3
RE: shrinking units - 7/3/2007 12:16:59 PM   
AmiralLaurent

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpyman

quote:

Well there still is the possibilty I sent the majority of the unit somewhere and can't remember that I sent it someplace and where. I clicked on the list units icon and it still showed the unit being in LA. It seems that the list units screen doesn't show where dispersed units are. This is a head scratcher for me. The unit is not all that important. I was just trying to get some air support units to combat zones since it is early 42 and support units are still sparse.

The unit list will show you fragments but only those on land. No units (either fragment or mother unit) on a ship will be shown.

You can check it by opening your TF screen and order the TF by number of troops above. And then check each TF having troops aboard.

By the way do you have a part of the map under AI control ? If the answer is yes it is possible that the AI loaded this unit on a ship. The AI is very good to f..k things up during unit loading and will leave units fragments all over the map...

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 4
RE: shrinking units - 7/3/2007 2:09:46 PM   
rtrapasso

Good rule of thumb: NEVER let the AI control anything...

Unfortunately, as Amiral Laurent has said - you can not easily find a land unit on a ship... maybe one of the utilities can do it, but the in-game tools for this are limited.

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 5
RE: shrinking units - 7/3/2007 2:17:03 PM   
wworld7

At least for me, Base forces are not like divsions that can be broken down into smaller units. If I feel a location needs air support it will get a whole unit.

Yes, there are few Allied base forces early in the game. Chose your locations wisely. As there are not enough to do everything you may wish to. That time will come not too much later in the game.

Flipper

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 6
RE: shrinking units - 7/3/2007 8:05:58 PM   
grumpyman

thanks to everyone. Well this is embarassing. The bulk of my unit just hopped off a ship at Baker. I never could find it at sea, as it being early game I have just about every AK and TK at sea, most in as single ship. Part of the unit is missing and 30 troops are still in LA. For the life of me I can't remember putting them on ship but I must have done so.

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 7
RE: shrinking units - 7/3/2007 9:58:34 PM   
dtravel

That still doesn't explain the fragment left behind shrinking in size.  Unless it was still being loaded on to a ship?  But I would have expected you to have found it rather easily in that case.  You did check the TFs in Los Angeles, didn't you? 

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 8
RE: shrinking units - 7/3/2007 10:42:44 PM   
grumpyman

quote:

You did check the TFs in Los Angeles, didn't you? 

That's it kick a guy when he's down

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 9
RE: shrinking units - 7/4/2007 12:26:59 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

(in reply to grumpyman)
Post #: 10
RE: shrinking units - 7/4/2007 2:17:20 AM   
Gem35

Just say you were drinking heavily and move on. Good luck with your game grumpyman

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 11
RE: shrinking units - 7/4/2007 7:41:28 AM   
bradfordkay

There is a relatively easy way to find troops that are "en route", using the "List TFs" screen. That screen shows which TFs have how many troops, so you can sort by that number and just check the TFs with troops.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 12
RE: shrinking units - 7/4/2007 8:58:37 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

Of course! This is war, man! You don't fight fair in war if you can avoid it.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 13
RE: shrinking units - 7/4/2007 4:04:59 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

There is a relatively easy way to find troops that are "en route", using the "List TFs" screen. That screen shows which TFs have how many troops, so you can sort by that number and just check the TFs with troops.

Note the use of the word "relatively"!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> shrinking units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI