Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about taking CSA Forts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> Question about taking CSA Forts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about taking CSA Forts - 8/13/2007 1:11:53 PM   
kokubokan25

Hello everybody!

I'm now playing my first steps on this huge game.
Win against the AI seems to be very easy, however, playing with Union, i was heavy defeated with huge losses when i try to assault and take some of the coastal forts in North Carolina. Just for fun, anyway.
I used two marine brigades with heavy naval support, two monitors, two armoured frigates and ten other ships, gunboats, and minors and with a previous bombardment. Only 5 hits on land and 25 hits on my ships.

Anyone take some of this forts?
So many troops used?

Post #: 1
RE: Question about taking CSA Forts - 8/13/2007 8:37:53 PM   
a24cav

I've taken three forts in my current campaign game (Ft. Jackson, Ft. Pulaski, Ft. Macon). In each case I had to send a solid division (about 7,000 troops, say 3 brigades?) with some artillery. I usually landed and put on a siege and then the following turn I set the fleet to bombard and launched an assault. Against a "standard" fort garrison (one infantry, a couple arty) it has worked each time.

However, I am beginning to doubt whether these investments are worth it. For starters, holding a fort does not blockade the associated port (to blockade Savannah I still had to park ships in the exit zones, even though I held the fort). The forts do bombard passing confederate ships, but they usually don't do fatal damage. I've also found you have to leave at least one brigade in place after you take it because the AI often builds up a force to come take the fort back. I lost Ft. Pulaski that way after about a year.

(in reply to kokubokan25)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about taking CSA Forts - 8/13/2007 8:55:45 PM   
Jagger2002

The best method to capture a fort is to breach the defenses. Have a formation with much artillery lay seige to the fort. Within several turns, you should see a breach developed. Once a breach occurs, you can easily assault and destroy the defending units.

Forts along the coast are very valuable as harbors. Often I will build a depot and add a naval engineer. Then I use the fort as a resupply and refit base for brown and blue water fleets. Much quicker than sailing all the way back to Philadelphia or New York when your ships run out of supply or cohesion.

< Message edited by Jagger2002 -- 8/13/2007 8:56:35 PM >

(in reply to a24cav)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about taking CSA Forts - 8/14/2007 11:39:04 AM   
kokubokan25

Thanks a lot!. Seems like i used very small number of troops to this task.

(in reply to Jagger2002)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> Question about taking CSA Forts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI