Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

About to purchase download copy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> About to purchase download copy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
About to purchase download copy - 9/8/2007 4:23:53 PM   
Wargamer39

It will be the first time I will buy a download but the game looks great (have done much research). I usually want the box copy but live in Canada and didn't need the extra $25+ (customs) headache and runaround. Anyway, as it will be the first time I will download a game, can I get a few quick answers before pressing the purchase button:

1. The manual comes in a pdf file with the download?
2. It says it is available for 30 days. Does that mean it is only available for the first download (say day 1)? If there is a problem/hangup, it is still available, right?
3. What is the size of the download of this game? I need to decide whether to place it on my desktop or laptop.

Thanks. Game looks fantastic. I have looked at quite a few (including Crown of Glory, Battles in Italy/Normandy, etc) and decided on this one. I have Korsun Pocket for 2 years and still play it now (mostly thru mods though).

Post #: 1
RE: About to purchase download copy - 9/8/2007 5:03:39 PM   
Joram

I can try to answer these.

1. Yes, it should be uncompressed when you install
2. Yes.  What it means is you can download/re-download an unlimited number of times within 30 days.  So if it hangs for some reason, you just try again.
3. The download is about 750MB I believe but that varies slightly by computer.  Uncompressed though it's only about 1.1-1.2GB.

And hope you enjoy your purchase!  It's a fun game!

(in reply to Wargamer39)
Post #: 2
RE: About to purchase download copy - 9/8/2007 6:22:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Wargamer39,

First of all, thanks for choosing one of our games!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargamer39
1. The manual comes in a pdf file with the download?

Yes, and it's fully bookmarked and indexed, so it's very friendly to use in a reader like Adobe Acrobat. The boxed copy does come with a full color printed version of the same manual, minus the appendices which are still in PDF form (they were too long to fit in our 200 page printed manual limit).

quote:

2. It says it is available for 30 days. Does that mean it is only available for the first download (say day 1)? If there is a problem/hangup, it is still available, right?

It's available for 30 days after purchase to re-download if you have any problems. If you spring for the download insurance, which I believe is $3.99, then you can re-download it whenever you need to with no time limit. Our store keeps a record of any orders you place with us and you can always retrieve your serial number and/or download link via www.findmyorder.com.

quote:

3. What is the size of the download of this game? I need to decide whether to place it on my desktop or laptop.

It's about 700Mb, I believe it gives an exact size with download time estimates on the product detail page in the store. You can always download it on one system and the transfer it to another. We also allow you to install it on both your laptop and desktop as long as you're the only user, there's no hardware/online activate that ties it to only one system.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Wargamer39)
Post #: 3
RE: About to purchase download copy - 9/8/2007 9:57:56 PM   
Wargamer39

Thanks Joram and Erik. I will download soon and look forward to playing.

Randy

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: About to purchase download copy - 9/10/2007 7:16:23 PM   
DrewGator

Here's my 2 cents worth (that's 2.1 cents Canadian):

1. When you order the download version you will get a confirmation email. That email has your license number. I like to print that email, keep a copy of the message with the downloaded file and I also register it in the members area of the Matrix Games website. I can retrieve all my serial numbers from there if I absolutely have to. Whatever you do, DON'T LOSE THAT NUMBER! At the very least, you will need it when installing patches.

2. The PDF file is a nice reference - but I prefer a printed copy to have in hand while playing. Because the game doesn't run in windowed mode (aside to Matrix and WCS: please fix this!) application switching from the game to Adobe Reader can be annoying and somewhat problematic. If you decide to print it, I found that landscape orientation with two pages per side works really well because the actual printed manual is small - but rather thick.

Good luck!

DrewGator
Union Army of Occupation
Florida

(in reply to Wargamer39)
Post #: 5
RE: About to purchase download copy - 9/11/2007 2:19:33 AM   
Gil R.

Adding a windowed mode is something that would take several weeks of programming, so it's not something we can do in the near future, and it might even have to wait until we replace the current engine with the next. That said, yours is not the first request, so we're certainly aware of the desire of some people for this feature.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to DrewGator)
Post #: 6
RE: About to purchase download copy - 9/11/2007 6:19:38 PM   
DrewGator

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Adding a windowed mode is something that would take several weeks of programming, so it's not something we can do in the near future, and it might even have to wait until we replace the current engine with the next. That said, yours is not the first request, so we're certainly aware of the desire of some people for this feature.

I'm just trying to keep this issue at a gentle simmer so it doesn't get forgotten! I won't be upset if it doesn't show up until FoF2 is released. On the other hand, if it doesn't show up then, well...

DrewGator
Union Army of Occupation
Florida

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> About to purchase download copy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI