Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions - 9/10/2007 7:57:02 AM   
ilovestrategy

A couple of questions.
First, what the heck is this icon that says "Armchair General Preview" that popped up after installing Witp?
And 2nd question, any pointers on which options a new player like me should choose, like Jap sub doctrine, number of days in a turn, December 7 surprise?
Sorry for all the questions guys!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Post #: 1
RE: Questions - 9/10/2007 8:12:26 AM   
bradfordkay

ils

The "Armchair General" preview is an ad that will link you to the website for that magazine. You can safely delete the icon.

I think that for learning the game, you are better off with one day turns. Think of yourself as the combined HQ, receiving daily reports from all the troops.

You didn't say what side you are planning to play. Again, for learning the game, I think that you're better off playing as allied, possibly in the limited area scenario that covers the invasion of the SRA. Playing as the Japanese needs a lot of work in the early going, as you have to coordinate all the invasions. Playing as the allies, you only have to react to what the AI does - and you're limited in what you can do due to lack of forces.

If playing as the allies, I'd say Jap sub doctrine ON, surprise ON (get used to getting chewed up right off), allied damage control ON.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions - 9/10/2007 8:29:14 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

After reading the manual, I started with the Grand Campaign (scen. 15) with the AI set to easy. After kicking the Jap AI's butt in '44 I knew I was ready for The Show. Silly me.
Brad is right, start small and increase difficulty levels. For a good introductory game I suggest you challenge Terminus, Speedy, Raverdave, VSWG, Feinder, Pauk, or any of the other pushovers in the game for an easy, early victory.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions - 9/10/2007 9:47:23 AM   
JeffroK

Try a scenario, Coral Sea/ Gcanal to limit the number of units to play with.

Then jump in the deep end.

As soon as you can dog paddle upgrade to one of the Mods, Basic (Vanilla WITP) is like playing a Milton Bradley game.

Have fun, and dont worry about little problems, both sides suffer from them.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions - 9/11/2007 8:32:57 AM   
ilovestrategy

Thanks for the info guys! I'm gonna take your advice and start out small! I'm Allies by the way 

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions - 9/11/2007 4:33:34 PM   
woods

Hi,

You are playing Allies but you are a Japan fan boy - look at your signature!!. Just joking. Playing Allies is the best way to learn the beginner's game - no need to get headache over Japanese production and the Japanese AI will play a decent game at least for the first few months of the Grand campaign. Have plenty of fun!

Pat

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 6
RE: Questions - 9/11/2007 11:13:45 PM   
ilovestrategy

LOL! I had forgotten about my sig! I had RogueUSMC, a fine member of this forum  make that sig for my because I love the Japanese Zero.  Something about the appearance appeals to me. Today's aircraft are much more powerful and faster but for some reason I still love all the WW2 aircraft and ships.

(in reply to woods)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI