Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battlefront vs TOAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battlefront >> Battlefront vs TOAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battlefront vs TOAW - 8/26/2007 2:40:34 AM   
emcgman

Hi People,

I'm looking at Battlefront, and am considering a purchase. I currently own TOAW III. What are the interface/gameplay aspects of Battlefront that are nicer/more conveniently informational than TOAW III. I can see the graphics are sure attractive, and form the screen shots, it looks like unit info screens are nicely done with clear information. Is this just eye candy, or do the unit screens help you really plan your battles? Are any of the scenarios as huge as contained in TOAW III? Have any scenario expansions been released for Battlefront? I am just a little hesitant because the cost is still at full retail. I would want the deluxe cd version of course.

Also, what is the name of the game called DB?

Thanks,

emcgman
Post #: 1
RE: Battlefront vs TOAW - 8/27/2007 4:18:16 AM   
Waffenamt

DB=Decisive Battles.

I was thinking about getting Battlefront back in July, based on a friend's recommedations, and then I looked at the threads about new scenarios, which seemed to have fizzled out except for the 2-player one(s) and also checked out the SSG site. They haven't even updated the game information from pre-release.  Once I then saw that tutorial material was posted after complaints I weighed it all up and decided to give this one a miss.  It sounds like it had a lot of potential but was rushed out and sinply hung out to dry.  I'll be happy if anyone can tell me otherwise, since I've never actually played this but I do check in every so often because it looked pretty good but I just got turned off after my initial research.

Regards

(in reply to emcgman)
Post #: 2
RE: Battlefront vs TOAW - 8/27/2007 11:59:35 PM   
SlowHand

I am facing the same dilemma - to buy Battlefront or DB-Italy.

I own DB-Korsun and the Dnepr (sp?) expansion, and DB-Normandy. I enjoyed the series quite a bit, but found that by the time I was playing Normandy, the "sameness" of the system was beginning to tell. Did I want more of the "same," even if I'm very keen on the history of WW2 battles in Italy? I also own TOAW3 (latest and older) and that game still suits my gaming interests more than the DB series.

I'm intrigued by the more "tactical" scale of Battlefront and by the scope of units available, but I too was a bit put off by the early "kvetching" and comments about the dearth of scenarios.

This thread back here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1517556 

... had me wanting both, lol. But it does give some good details about how BF plays.

For now, I'm waiting to see if Autumn brings forth at least a few new BF scenarios.

Edit: Here's another (shorter) thread that discusses some of the specifics of BF and DB-Italy:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1480973

< Message edited by SlowHand -- 8/28/2007 12:14:25 AM >

(in reply to Waffenamt)
Post #: 3
RE: Battlefront vs TOAW - 8/30/2007 12:38:19 AM   
SlowHand

Another game I'm considering with intense interest, and what's holding me back from Battlefront is the in-development Combined Arms. I'm intrigued by the simultaneous execution. Forum here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=16

(in reply to SlowHand)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battlefront >> Battlefront vs TOAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI