Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 1:56:47 PM   
cantona2

SIGINT has identified a few Jap units prepping for attacks at Madras and Calcutta. Now my opponent is about to reduce Manila and Bataan (we're in early April '42), and is engaged in Northern Oz, probably building to attack Derby thats been reinforced with 3 Oz brigades and 1st Cavalry en route. If he does turn his attention to India what can i do to defend it?

At the moment i have 2nd british division and one brigade in Calcutta. 6th AIF at Colombo with support and AA units there and at Tricomalee. Dacca holds the 18th Brit DIv, several brigades and India Hq as reserve for my Cox's Bazaar-Kohima line that has 1/3 division, support units and one brigade per base. Chittagong has more reserves, two indian divisions amongst other support/art units. A recently arrived indian brigade is on its way to Madras. All possible landing sites on the Indian coast have at least 1,000 mines laid and more to come. The RAF is strong in india and so is the RN with Force Z, one carrier, the other two are helping defend Oz, but can be recalled. If hes bluffing and trying to mislead my INtell all the better but if he isnt? So far its the Mixed Brigade prepping for Madras and so far two eng units have been ided prepping for calcutta. Im about to strike at Tarawa so that my out a spanner into his works

thanks

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Post #: 1
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 2:17:13 PM   
Terminus

It's a bluff; if he's not finished in the SRA, AND he's in northern Australia, he's not going to attack India as well.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 2
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 2:25:00 PM   
cantona2

Bluffing is my gut feeling as well, though he was somewhat surprised a few turns back when i told him there were rooms in the POW camps at calcutta for his engineers. He's finished in the SRA but there has been a lot of ship movements around Timor and a reinforcing of Rangoon, if recon is to be believed. Im hoping its a bluff as im planning a suprise counteroffensive into Burma where extensive recon has yet to reveal a unit larger than a Division in size. For that to work the chinese units and one burma brig at Lahio need to hold.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 3:58:31 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Im hoping its a bluff as im planning a suprise counteroffensive into Burma where extensive recon has yet to reveal a unit larger than a Division in size.

what units are there in the game that are larger than an IJA division, except those corps the Soviets can field in 45??

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 4
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 4:11:56 PM   
Feinder

As indicated, I doubt he's thinking seriously about India, esp if he's already in Oz.  If it's already April, you'll also have sufficient resources to repell him (even if not initially, altho thats probably not a problem either).

Frankly, I wouldn't plop a whole division in Ceylon.  you can put a Bde in each of Columbo and Tricom, and that ought to do it.  Or if you're stretched, put two of those under-strength Indian Divs there with an HQ - they can garrison the place and (slowly) rebuild with the help of the HQ.  But owning Ceylon doesn't do Japan much good, unless he -really- is going to go for India.  Otherwise it's just a very out-of-the-way island that you're quickly going to bomb to mush.  So don't "waste" bunch of guys garrisoning it.  You want to defend so that he's got to divert at least a Div or two, to kill you.  At the same time, you DON'T want to tie up too many troops that are better served defending the mainland.

Your "defense hubs" are Madras and Calcutta/DH.  Marshall your guys there, and you can move up your forces to respond to wherever he lands.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 5
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 6:38:34 PM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Im hoping its a bluff as im planning a suprise counteroffensive into Burma where extensive recon has yet to reveal a unit larger than a Division in size.

what units are there in the game that are larger than an IJA division, except those corps the Soviets can field in 45??

Castor meant to see that according to recon there are no Divisional sized units in Burma, sorry for confusion

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 6
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 6:41:04 PM   
cantona2

Thanks Feinder, game is eeirely quiet at the moment (6.4.42), waiting for something sticky and smelly to hit the fan, using time to get my Tarawa attack ready and (CHS game) upgrading ships with the great april 42 upgrades.

Moved a second Brigade into Madras and shipping a recently arrived HAA unit there as well, so that makes 2400 mines, 2 brigades, 2 engs and on HAA unit there. We'll see if its a bluff or not

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 7
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 7:10:53 PM   
ny59giants

I'm at 7/7/42 in my CHS game. As I just emailed my opponent, taking India in CHS has to be priority #1 (too many troops and those large Aviation Rgt make it hard). By this time, its to late, IMO.

Here is the list of free Japanese LCU's that you should have listed and keep track of. There may be more (or I missed some), but it should give you an idea of what he has where.

Divisions:
Imperial Guards; 2nd; 4th; 5th; 16th; 18th; 21st; 31st; 33rd; 48th; 55th; 56th
Brigades/Regiments:
1st Para; 2nd Para; 56th; 65th; 4th Mixed (I think there is one regiment and one brigade); 21st; 23rd; and South Sea Detachment

Hope this helps.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 8
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 8:19:07 PM   
cantona2

Thanks giants

Well i know that his first para regt is prepping for a drop on Wyndham but i have a 'fighter' surprise waiting for his transports there :)

ill keep an eye out for those units

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 9
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 9:02:14 PM   
Jim D Burns

I wouldn’t keep my main force on costal hexes in India, instead I’d keep a minimal garrison of about a brigade defending the beaches and the rest I’d place inshore at a good rear area base and form a strong reaction corps with them. Have these reaction forces do nothing but build your airfields, don’t bother building forts as they will leave as soon as any landings take place.

For Japan to succeed, he needs to establish his land based air ashore in his initial invasion base. By building up you inland bases, you’ll have a good air base that can start pounding the airfield wherever he lands from day one. After the initial air battles to decimate the airfield are over, rotate your bombers so half fly each day. That’ll keep the bases airfield from being used and allow you to pound his ground units causing much disruption and disablements.

If you lose the air battle and he gets land based air established ashore, India is in very serious trouble.

If you defend on the coast and rely on coastal airfields, he’ll simply use his battleships to close your airfields and disrupt your ground strength. By keeping the major portion of your strength inland, he can’t touch it and you can hold off moving into the invaded base until his battleships have returned to base for rearming.

It’s very easy for Japan to get ashore in India, but it’s very difficult to win if the allied player has interior bases that Japan’s dominate navy can’t help to reduce. Don’t fight his game on the coast, make him fight yours inland and you can easily win if he brings less than 6 divisions.

I totally agree with Feinder, don’t waste your limited assets defending an island. If he takes it you can use it as a training ground until you’re ready to take it back. The real fight is on the mainland, win there before you worry about Ceylon or Burma. Don’t give away the island, but definitely do not lose a division or more trying to defend it.

Also don’t go into Burma until late 42 after you’re absolutely sure Japan is no longer looking to expand. Burma is a trap for the allies until mid 43 when you finally have enough units to defend all of India and go on an offensive too.

If you go into Burma now, he’ll wait until you’re committed, then he can land behind your lines in India and isolate everything you took into Burma (takes forever to get back out overland). Supplies will soon dry up and you’ll slowly starve to death. By the time your units get back to India they’ll be in such bad shape Japan can easily wipe them out.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 10/25/2007 9:12:02 PM >

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 10
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 9:17:50 PM   
cantona2

Thanks for a very deatiled response Jim. Fingers crossed that its only a bluff but he's committed in Oz and still hasnt captured Mandalay. Ill keep everyone updated

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 11
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/25/2007 10:55:40 PM   
Tomasek

Why try to attack in Mandalay, when you are preparing invasion to India? I invade India two times, and one time conquered Karachi, so I now the issue a bit. Try these:

1. Direct attack on Madras is not possible, so try to defend Diamond Harbor with majority of your forces.
2. Watch your rear - if he cuts the suply stream from Karachi and Bombay, then you have lost a battle.
3. Keep enough forces in Karachi or in position with clear retreat path to it.
4. Mass air force.
5. Use cities with bonus as strongholds.
6. If KB is there in full strength, attack somewhere in Pacific.
7. If KB is not supporting invasion, use surface ships. RN is excellent in night battles...

< Message edited by Tomasek -- 10/25/2007 10:56:20 PM >

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 12
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/26/2007 2:26:37 AM   
ny59giants

Look for a possible short hook that he can use he use his LBA to cover landings at Chittagong and/or Cox Bazar. Then a swift advance to pin your forces at Dacca while he takes Rangpur and cuts off everything in Burma and that part of India.
If I was to play the Japanese, just taking the SE corner of India (including Calcutta) would create a nice buffer zone.  

(in reply to Tomasek)
Post #: 13
RE: Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed - 10/26/2007 6:09:50 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

India is a damned bad place for the Japs, remember that. If the allied player doesn't make any serious mistake (like letting sit as duks his air fleet in a coastal base with Japanese BBs around), Japan will need everything and more to win, and as long as Karachi is secure British reinforcements will keep on coming in.

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Defending India - Local Yokels not allowed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI