Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Management

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Game Management Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Management - 10/20/2007 7:14:38 PM   
Taz0713

Thanks to having updated rosters for 2007, I am trying to take my Cubbies to the World Series (where they should have been this year ).

We started out our season against the Giants at AT&T. I don't know if it is my perceived notion regarding Barry Bonds, but I found my self either pitching around him, or intentionally walking him in his last two at bats. This was a game we eventually won in the ninth with a Cliff Floyd home run to right 3-2.

For those of you who play with real players, do you find that you end up managing based on your perception of the real life counterpart or do you just figure this a game and go with what your gut?
Post #: 1
RE: Game Management - 10/20/2007 7:59:46 PM   
LetsPlay2

Usually my gut !

In Bond's case I would probably pitch to him unless it is a situation where I can put him on to stop the 3 run HR or could lose the game !

LP2

(in reply to Taz0713)
Post #: 2
RE: Game Management - 10/20/2007 11:47:07 PM   
Taz0713

quote:

ORIGINAL: LetsPlay2

Usually my gut !

In Bond's case I would probably pitch to him unless it is a situation where I can put him on to stop the 3 run HR or could lose the game !

Well I tried what you suggested with regards to my gut and Bonds ended up killing me as he went 3 for 4 with two doubles. Thankfully nothing over the wall. I let Ted Lilly go after him usually with one or no one on. Oh well, I will have to be more careful of Mr. Bonds.

By the way the Giants won game two of our series in the bottom of the ninth 3-2 thanks to a bases loaded walk to Omar Vizquel. The walk was given up by Wil Ohmen. The sad thing was that there was two out, so I was hoping for some help. Oh well, we will get them for game three.

(in reply to LetsPlay2)
Post #: 3
RE: Game Management - 10/21/2007 12:23:43 AM   
KG Erwin

As I mentioned to LP2 in a PM, there are so many subtle factors in play. They include the ballpark, the gametime weather, the opposing players' health status, etc. All of it adds up to each managed game having its own sense of drama.

(in reply to Taz0713)
Post #: 4
RE: Game Management - 10/21/2007 3:49:32 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

I mirror KG's words and thoughts exactly.

That's one of the reasons he (KG) and I see eye-to-eye on managed games. There is a level of immersion, a level of emotion and excitement that you really do feel as the game goes by. Each pitch is a nail-biter. Even when you have a comfortable lead, it's seeing your pitcher give up a walk, your fielder commit an error and then after witnessing a lucky single, the bases are suddenly loaded and that formerly "safe" 4-run lead is on the brink of being lost should the next batter hit a home run, a triple or a double (and the runners get a good jump). Nothing can match that level of real-time excitement. Nothing.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Game Management - 10/21/2007 3:53:08 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

...and to actually answer your question, I make no connection with the players in the game with the players in real life. In fact, I do this on purpose. Why, you may wonder? Because PureSim is an amazing baseball simulator, not a replicator. Just because someone like A-Rod had an amazing 2007, does not mean that he will have the same season in your 2007 association. I don't like placing expectations or lofty goals on players in the PureSim version based on their accomplishments in real life. The primary reason being that, should they fail to live up to those expected goals, I will be disappointed; when I really have no reason to.

All in all, were I to have Bonds step up to the plate, I'd probably pitch to him. The way I see it, he's just as likely to get an RBI single as he is to hit a walk-off home run as he is strike out. That's the fun of the game.

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 10/21/2007 3:57:42 AM >

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 6
RE: Game Management - 10/21/2007 6:08:11 PM   
throttle8

I'm on the same page as Frozen!!! I usually just go with the flow. Just because a real life player played super great in real life doesn't mean he'll have the same greatness in PS. I always just draft or pick a player that has what I'm looking for; whether that is Stuff, Contact Power, a young age, etc.

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Game Management Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI