Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question About Minors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Question About Minors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question About Minors - 11/6/2007 5:35:42 PM   
Wrathchild

I'm not sure that I really know what to do with the various levels of minor league teams. From reading these forums it seems that people leave good players in the minors to build up their talent or something, whereas I always want my best players in the big leagues. How do you know when a player should be in the minors versus being in the majors, and vice versa?
Post #: 1
RE: Question About Minors - 11/6/2007 6:44:12 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

To answer that question, is like trying to find an answer to something philosophical and deep such as.... "What is the meaning of life?". There have been countless great discussions on the mathematics of managing minors and prospects as well as the deeper, 'gut feeling' approaches of handling hopefuls. Attempting to repost all of that here would result in the loss of a few fingers and the overall use of my left hand. Sorry.

However, know some basic details- age is one important factor to consider when determining where to place them (A, AA, or AAA) as is potential. A player too low (in single-A for example) may have his progress hindered if he is capable of playing at a higher level and thus 'maturing' or 'evolving' more efficiently. A player too high (in triple-A for example) may be too challenged and his growth could be stunted. The same would apply if someone is promoted to the majors too early. There's no SET formula on where someone should go, how long you should leave them there or how (if at all) someone will progress. The rough 'peak' age is 28, give or take, but I have seen stats decline in the mid-20's or rise in the early 30's. The higher a potential rating, the greater the chances that their stats will increase, though there's never a guarantee that they will, or how much they will.

The basic fact is that there is no 'easy', 'guaranteed', 'surefire', or 'cheat code' way to know for sure. The reason being that this isn't a console arcade game where if you hit B-A-B-A-up-down-up-down-left-right-left-right all will be revealed. There's no crystal ball that if you rub it while chanting 'A'La Peanut Butter Sandwiches' it will tell you that you should leave Joe Smith in AAA for three years but promote Frank Johnson after just one. The game is a simulator, and just as a real MLB coach or GM doesn't have a tool or means with which to read minds or predict the future of a young prospect, neither should you.

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 11/6/2007 6:51:10 PM >

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 2
RE: Question About Minors - 11/6/2007 6:52:03 PM   
Wrathchild

I was anticipating that kind of answer.  I guess I'll get a feeling for it the more I play. It just seems odd to me that if you have a great pitcher, for example, that you would leave him in the minors to ferment. I guess I have to pay more attention to what appear to be the keys: age and potential. 

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 3
RE: Question About Minors - 11/6/2007 7:03:38 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Wrath,

I know what you mean (about pitchers). However, you may sometimes fall under the same blessing that I once did- I had TOO MANY good starting pitchers. Yes, I had a pair of GREAT prospects in the minors, but at the same time, I had five amazing starters in the majors. I didn't want to promote the prospects because I knew that even as a long-releiver they would not get enough playing time, or at least-- what I felt was-- the amount of playing time they NEEDED to have in order to grow properly.

I did learn however, perhaps about 3-4 years into my team, that it's always a good idea to have extra good starting pitchers on hand. I once had 3 of my 5 starting pitchers injured for at least 30 days, and a fourth injured for just under 60. I was forced to call up two of the minor leaguers, trade a blocked prospect for another starting pitcher, and use two long-relievers to fill the #5 role. It was not pretty. Ever since, I have worked hard to have at least 2 good prospect starting pitchers as well as one 'in the beginning of the end' veteran sitting in AAA; the kind that still has talent but isn't so overpriced that he's still affordable. Here's a repost from an example I gave in a different thread, it should probably mirror what you fear:

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Frozen Stiffer

I once remember this fictional pitcher I had, Johnny Stahl. I was stocked deep with pitching and needed some fielding help, so I traded him off. I had kept him in the minors for 3-4 years, since I had this feeling in my gut that he just wasn't ready. Well, the team I traded him to put him in the majors right away; he was their #1 or #2 starter. To be truthful, he had a great first year, going 14-6 or something, with a sub 4.00 ERA. I was just ABOUT to feel like a goober that missed his opportunity with a phenom hurler, when the next year he got slammed. He never had a winning season after that and never even won 10 games again. He lasted 3 more years before he was sent to the minors and released the year after that. Next end-of-season had him retiring.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Question About Minors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI