Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Defensve Adjustments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Play Development System (PDS) >> Defensve Adjustments Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defensve Adjustments - 5/4/2007 12:42:14 AM   
gwilkins

Is there away to get your Defensive Lineman to adjust there starting position according to the Offense alignment, i.e. Nose Guard shadeing to the TE side, with out calling an adibule?
Post #: 1
RE: Defensve Adjustments - 5/4/2007 2:51:26 AM   
David Winter

Defensive line shifts are part of the next major update.

thanks

(in reply to gwilkins)
Post #: 2
RE: Defensve Adjustments - 5/8/2007 8:43:56 AM   
dreamtheatervt

Thanks David, I've been asking for that for a while.

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 3
RE: Defensve Adjustments - 7/28/2007 12:57:48 AM   
David Winter

Hi.

Recently, in the beta forum, there was some discussion about what should cause the line to shift. Some find it too arcade like, others find it helps a lot to keep the running game in check.

The current implementation is based on offensive play calling tendencies. So, just like the defensive AI keeps track of your last few plays called to call an appropriate defensive play, it uses those same tendencies to shuffle the line.

The reason it was added was that, as mentioned, many people have been vocal about seeing it. But I guess what wasn't mentioned is what sort of AI you had in mind to cause it to happen.

I should also point out that this shift happens regardless of whether you're on defense or not. The CPU will adust the line if it thinks it needs to, even if you're on defense and called the play. However, I can easily set it up so that you control the line shift (just as you now have to set a player in motion on offense) using basically the same system as the arcade play controls. In arcade mode, you must shift the line, in coaching mode, currently the AI does it. But I can change it so you must shift the line anytime you're controlling defense.

So I guess there are two questions.

1. What AI event would you like to see cause a line shift? As I said, right now, it totally based on offensive tendancies. Example, If you run to the right several times over the past few plays, the defense will start to shift defensive linemen to the right.

2. Do you want to control the line shift yourself when you're on defense, or let the AI do it?

thanks
David

< Message edited by David Winter -- 7/28/2007 1:11:01 AM >

(in reply to dreamtheatervt)
Post #: 4
RE: Defensive Adjustments - 7/28/2007 2:55:17 AM   
gwilkins

I would like to control the shift myself.  Or if it is assigned to the AI have it ignore tendencies and shift in response to were the strong side of the offensive line, (Example it only one Tight End on the defenses left the line shifts to the left, or right according to what you set in the PDS).  Also , I know this is probably more complicated, add the LB's to the shift, such as if you have a LB in man to man on a TE and the TE is on the left the other linebackers align to the right.  I play mostly 8 man games, and have had instances were the LB in coverage on the TE is standing side by side on the right with the LB with run responsibilities, and left of the defense is left wide open.  When we teach our High School kids defense we teach them you see this you do this (example we call a 4 man line and you see Two wide outs and two slot backs, the quickest d-lineman drops back to Linebacker and shadows the QB) kind of a and/or programing logic. I don't know if I've made any sense but thanks for listening.

Post #: 5
RE: Defensive Adjustments - 7/28/2007 3:07:20 AM   
David Winter

Thanks... that's interesting feedback.

I'd like to see what others think of this as well...

Something I should clarify as well...
quote:

I play mostly 8 man games,

If you play 8man games on the 50 yard field, line shifting does not occur at all. Defensive line movement is illegal in indoor rules, so if you're using the 50 yard field, you won't get any line shift at all, even in arcade mode. I don't know if your 8 man rules is on the indoor field so this may not be applicable, but just so everyone is aware.

thanks

(in reply to gwilkins)
Post #: 6
RE: Defensive Adjustments - 7/28/2007 3:14:11 AM   
gwilkins

I've modified to play 8 man 100 yd field, it's the only style of football I've played or coached.

Post #: 7
RE: Defensive Adjustments - 7/28/2007 3:16:03 AM   
garysorrell

I would prefer to control it also. If im using a gamepad for arcade or just calling plays, I would like that option, just as I control motion.

This is very cool by the way, I look forward to this new feature. I think this will definately help the AI

Post #: 8
RE: Defensive Adjustments - 7/30/2007 11:08:42 PM   
Scott_WAR

I would make it an option to let the user decide if they would like to control it or let the AI control it,... if possible. Might as well make everybody happy if you can.

As far as the AI is concerned, as mentioned above when there is a pattern in playcalling it should adjust, however it should also adjust to certain formations. If the offense goes in a formation that is heavy right, the defensive line should adjust accordingly.

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 9
RE: Defensive Adjustments - 11/14/2007 6:07:29 AM   
mudrick

Edited for redundantcy

< Message edited by mudrick -- 11/14/2007 6:42:20 AM >

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 10
RE: Defensive Adjustments - 11/14/2007 7:17:14 AM   
DreamTeams

Yes, let the user decide. Definately the AI should decide this in cpu vs cpu games.

(in reply to mudrick)
Post #: 11
RE: Defensive Adjustments - 11/14/2007 11:27:03 PM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: DreamTeams

Yes, let the user decide. Definately the AI should decide this in cpu vs cpu games.

That's how it works for version 2.0. If you're coaching (or playing arcade) you need to shift the line yourself.

(in reply to DreamTeams)
Post #: 12
here' a concept - 11/25/2007 4:05:00 AM   
BCtheQB

weighted shifting 
1 pt for te
1 pt for fb or other te
a 2 pt shift either way
causes a reaction
( I will create a proof/ diarama if anyone is interested)

games Ive played at least a decade ago "Necessary Roughness" notated a strong side in the offensive formation
which remained a reference for the defense when desired as a key to shift versus

I real life my players had specific backfield keys (which are very easy to program)
as opposed to blindly stuffing gaps, so my players were never screwed by doing
what i told them, and were far less trap susceptible

vs power offenses they bunched up we bunched up (impossible to expect if you tell your kids to man gaps
vs scattershot offenses, fly, option, veer, toss, if they spread out , we spread out. as a result I never had to ask "who's got that guy?"
but keying on formations, and more germaine here... programming to formations is too easily manipulated

Skagit Valley Lightning, HC, OC, DC, QB,Seattle Stallions 8-3,QB,West Sound Saints, NAFL CHamps,
King County Jaguars 05 NAFL W.Conf Champz,#2inUS
Eastside Hawks 03 #2 in US , 04 #1,#1 in PIFL.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Play Development System (PDS) >> Defensve Adjustments Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI