Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Modern Tactics >> Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/15/2007 2:08:58 PM   
jremilla

I am thinking of buying my first Close Combat game and am wondering if I should start with CoI or Modern Tactics. Aside from the difference in the time periods, is the game play similar??

I have recently discovered Matrix Games and have enjoyed 'Forge of Freedom' since May, and 'Advanced Tactics' since about two weeks ago.
Post #: 1
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/15/2007 3:15:20 PM   
dutch08

Close Combat: Cross of Iron is a great introduction to the series and well worth the investment. It's a return to Close Combat III: The Russian Front with a brand new campaign. So if you haven't played it before, you'll get two great campaigns for the price of one.

(in reply to jremilla)
Post #: 2
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/17/2007 9:48:51 PM   
salwon

Personally I love the option of campaigning that comes in CoI, but I only got MT yesterday and am having a blast with it.  Cross of Iron might be a little more robust...if you have to choose one, I'd say go CoI.

But really, why choose?

(in reply to dutch08)
Post #: 3
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/17/2007 11:42:16 PM   
jremilla

Why choose? Two words: my wife!!!

Just kidding! She has been very tolerant of my war gaming habit!!

(in reply to salwon)
Post #: 4
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/19/2007 8:03:52 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: jremilla

Why choose? Two words: my wife!!!

Just kidding! She has been very tolerant of my war gaming habit!!

You mean wargaming good habit don't you!

(in reply to jremilla)
Post #: 5
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/19/2007 11:25:18 PM   
Fred98

Get Modern Tactics.

If you are new to the series then individual battles wil grab you more than campaigns. You wil then be drawn in to the whole series!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 6
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/20/2007 12:15:45 AM   
LarryP

I have CoI, but I am watching for reasons to spring for Modern Tactics. So far I haven't seen enough. Although I watched the video and the art work on the maps are gorgeous! I too prefer campaigns to single scenarios.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 7
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/20/2007 1:35:22 AM   
Hertston

I'd get CoI. MT is a little more refined, maybe, but CoI has more content, campaigns, significant mod support and is more typical of CC as a whole.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 8
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/20/2007 6:36:56 AM   
mavraamides

If you're interested in single player, I think I'd lean towards COI.  MT is a blast, maps are incredible and the action is intense but I'm really not sold on the Victory Location system.   As far as I can tell, the VL's are not marked, you have to 'find' them.  But given the size of the maps and the limited time, its very difficult at least for me to find them.  And that might be challenging in its own way, but I want tactical warfare, not a scavenger hunt.

So I have a recurring pattern.  I win the battle in terms of force strength, dominate the battlefield, but end up in a draw or loss because my guys couldn't find the VL's in time.  In fact, in scenario 01 today, I wiped out the entire enemy force with 10 minutes left and then sent my guys all over the map trying to get VL's.  I ended up in a draw!

I mean, at this point, I just ignore the 'result'.  Its crazy.  I use remaining forces to decide if I won or not because I have no faith in the VL system.

Which brings me to COI.  I don't have that one (yet) but I was a huge fan of CCIII.  I liked that system much better.  I knew what I needed to do.  I knew what I was fighting over.  The system worked for me.  And COI seems to have a ton of new content.

If they could use the VL system and campaigns of COI with the modern weapons and graphics of MT it would be perfect, IMO.  Of course, people like me will just buy both, but if you had to choose, I'd go with COI.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 9
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/20/2007 8:55:18 AM   
Tactics

quote:

ORIGINAL: GordianKnot

If they could use the VL system and campaigns of COI with the modern weapons and graphics of MT it would be perfect, IMO.  Of course, people like me will just buy both, but if you had to choose, I'd go with COI.

My thought also. Get COI. I wont buy both - I just have COI.

(in reply to mavraamides)
Post #: 10
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/20/2007 5:05:13 PM   
LarryP

quote:

And that might be challenging in its own way, but I want tactical warfare, not a scavenger hunt.

I mean, at this point, I just ignore the 'result'. Its crazy. I use remaining forces to decide if I won or not because I have no faith in the VL system.

Talked me out of buying it. Pretty bad if I kill all OPFOR and I have to run around looking for things that SHOULD be marked well, and all on a timer! No thanks!

Thanks for your honesty.

(in reply to mavraamides)
Post #: 11
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/20/2007 5:29:21 PM   
VanScoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

And that might be challenging in its own way, but I want tactical warfare, not a scavenger hunt.

I mean, at this point, I just ignore the 'result'. Its crazy. I use remaining forces to decide if I won or not because I have no faith in the VL system.

Talked me out of buying it. Pretty bad if I kill all OPFOR and I have to run around looking for things that SHOULD be marked well, and all on a timer! No thanks!

Thanks for your honesty.

I agree... Anyway to return CC:MB and get COI in exchange?

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 12
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/21/2007 11:59:52 PM   
davmarksman

Modern Tactics for me but i could do with some improvements like a campaign!

"Queen of Battle." — the motto of the infantry. This is in opposition to "the King of Battle" - field artillery. As the classic infantryman joke goes: '... and we all know what kings do to queens.'

(in reply to VanScoy)
Post #: 13
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 11/22/2007 12:23:23 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: davmarksman

Modern Tactics for me but i could do with some improvements like a campaign!

CoI has excellent campaigns.

(in reply to davmarksman)
Post #: 14
RE: Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics - 12/11/2007 5:20:24 AM   
Masterjts

They both seem to have their stong and weak points. The good news is that you can pick up both of them for the price of a game at walmart these days. i suggest buying both and playing the hell out them them.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Modern Tactics >> Cross of Iron or Modern Tactics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI