Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Great War Mod?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Great War Mod? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great War Mod? - 1/17/2008 1:36:35 AM   
brucha

I did some searches on line and found no info concerning Steel Panther mods for the Great War (WW I). Are there any mods out there for this time frame? I believe it would relatively easy to do so, though I have no skill myself for such an endeavour. It think it would make a great addition to the series if there is one - or if one could be made.

I thought that I could simply use the SPWaW OOB Editor to modify units to reflect Great War units. However, I am unclear as how to modify the stats for Great War weapons and artillery.

Any suggestions?

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
- Ferdinand Foch, at the Battle of the Marne
Post #: 1
RE: Great War Mod? - 1/17/2008 1:20:19 PM   
FlashfyreSP

There had been talk a few years ago about a WWI mod, but I don't know if anything came of it.

Making one wouldn't be that difficult, since much of the basic SPWAW unit data is usable. Remember, a lot of the artillery used in WWII, especially in the early years, was left-over from The Great War anyhow. It would be a matter of removing any unit that was "modern", having been built after 1920.

The one concern I recall people having, though, was the tanks. While making the units would pose no real challenge, getting icons for them would.

(in reply to brucha)
Post #: 2
RE: Great War Mod? - 1/22/2008 9:48:10 AM   
Whitmire

I'd really love to see a mod like this come out. There are not that many good WWI games. (Or are there? I think I'm off the games map at the moment).

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 3
RE: Great War Mod? - 1/23/2008 10:50:18 AM   
brucha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whitmire

I'd really love to see a mod like this come out. There are not that many good WWI games. (Or are there? I think I'm off the games map at the moment).

Let's work on this then! It would be very easy to mod the ST OOB to match WW I units and such to fit the period. I would be willing to head this project as long as I have some help with weapons data and specs. The only problem, as mentioned above, would be tank pics. But tanks did not really influence action during the Great War most of the time. My only diifculty is the techincal problem of figuring out the stats of WW I weapons. We could even set up a website with the mod....hell I am a web designer so that would not be a problem.

What do others think? Is this somthing to follow up with?

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
- Ferdinand Foch, at the Battle of the Marne

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 4
RE: Great War Mod? - 1/23/2008 12:19:54 PM   
Whitmire

Well I'm still working on my Master's thesis, so I can't dedicate much time on anything else at the moment.

Luckily for a WWI project, SPWAW already features some WWI equipment that can be used as a basis for a WWI mod - at least a basic one.

The FT-17 tank, for example, was made in France in 1917 but can be found in the Finnish OOB. There's a "female" version with just a co-axial machine gun and a "male" version with a small cannon (SA 18). In fact even the Soviet OOB contains a WWI tank, the T-18 (correct me if I'm wrong). All of these could be used as a basis for tanks of that era. There's also a plethora of trucks and horse-drawn wagons and gun teams that could be used as they are.

Also, the Mosin-Nagant rifle used by early Soviet troops and Finns in the Winter War were made in 1891 and widely used in WWI. Similarly there should be some WWI artillery, which was used by Finns. However, I don't think WWI artillery would differ that much from WWII artillery in the most basic sense, because artillery ranges, munitions etc. are mostly left out of the game as it is. Of course SPA and artillery tactics would be more refined, but the tactics are left to the players - all we'd have to do is to supply the players with artillery of the correct calibre.

Also, the Maxim machine guns should provide us with a basis for MGs. So what else do we need? Early grenades? Easy, SPWAW grenades are pretty ineffective as they are. Bayonets: in the SPWAW mod already. Melee weapons, explosives and flame throwers. too. I really don't think that everything needs to be redone, because SPWAW: WWII already includes such a plethora of equipment that can already be used for a WWI mod.

The infantry models look like WWI soldiers - more so than WWII thanks to their bunched up formation, in fact, and you also have cavalry with rifles and swords. Many thanks to the SPWAW Soviets and their ancient armament!

So basically you now what you need for a very basic mod: small arms, some armour, and most if not all of the artillery should already be in the game. The real challenge comes from creating the OOBs from scratch. Which nations would the mod include and what kind of equipment should they have? Of course this is only a matter of research, but there should be lots of it before the mod can see the light of day.

If nothing else, these weapons and equipment can be used as a comparison.

The most important thing would be to focus on bringing a working mod as early as possible instead of getting stuck on detail after detail. The details will follow, once you get the basic stuff sorted out, and it's quickly

And for that gritty WWI feeling: gas. I wonder if it would be possible to make the napalm warhead look a bit more smokey? ;)

Speaking of smoke: smoke grenades would have to be removed from infantry squads, but as far as I know smoke cannot be removed from the game.

And what about legal matters? There might be copyright issues even though the mod would be completely non-commercial.

(in reply to brucha)
Post #: 5
RE: Great War Mod? - 2/6/2008 2:35:29 AM   
Major Destruction

There is a team working on the WW1 mod. They are slowly creating the icons etc

Go here : 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SPWW1mod  for more info.

I am sure they would appreciate any help you might offer.

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Great War Mod? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI