Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can not get FoF to play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Can not get FoF to play Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can not get FoF to play - 12/27/2007 10:36:39 PM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

Just downloaded FoF, about 4 hrs ago; have tried tracking down my prob in the posts on here but either I'm missing something or repeated listening to that (now) bloody theme tune has dulled my sences.

Prob; when I click 'Play' on the menue screen the video welcome comes up, since taking a tip from on here (my brand new puter is on vista) and altered the compatibility to XP service pk2, and I now get the Binary numbers & Matrix animated Logo, the screen then flashes to the game menu, imediately followed by the developers logo, then flash to game menu, and then the FoF title with all the animated flames etc and the theme tune which desolves into the 'Quote' and then to the pictures, prob being thats all it does just keeps going on & on & and on, hence the 'now bloody theme tune, "A man can only stand so much you know!".

Oh 1 other thing I noted was the full screen runs of the edge of my monitor (21" CRT Res set to game requirements of 1024 x 768) the orange border dissapears of the edge.

Things I've tried apart from Compatibility to XP.
Rt clicking on screen, noted it automatically shows 'Loop', so reset to 'Play'.
Zoomed in & out to see if I could pick up any tabs.
Waiting (noted the 5-6 min load prob someone had), gave it 15 min.
Close game, and restart, have to use Ctl,Alt, Del to get out, then when trying to close through Win tasks thing, Windows finds FoF not responding and has to go find the problem with close down

Saw, but didn't understand the Flash/shockwave stuff, checked found I have 'Adobe Reader 8', (not the same I know) but as the video stuff seems to be playing OK on the XP setting do I really need anything else????

Yes I have the latest drivers, it's a week old puter and have visited all the sites to make sure everything is upto-date.

Relivent Puter specs.

IntelCore 2 duo @ 2.67 Ghz
4 Gig DDR2 CL5 RAM
Creative SB X-FI Xtreme Audio card
Gainward GeForce 8600GST 512MB GDDR3
500 Gig WD Hardrive.
DirectX 10 installed.

Everything seems to have loaded OK ( I switched of Norton Internet security 2008 during download) I can read the manuals, run the Macroflash basic tutorial etc, I am rareing to go and prove that the Rebs could win (well in my little world anyhow) but can't get started, HEEEELP!!! ... please.

Cheers
Peter

< Message edited by Kingmaker -- 12/27/2007 10:49:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Can not get FoF to play - 12/27/2007 10:53:42 PM   
ericbabe

Do you see any buttons on the bottom of the screen when you see the "FoF title with all the animated flames"?  Have you been able to press the "Local Game" button yet?

(in reply to Kingmaker)
Post #: 2
RE: Can not get FoF to play - 12/27/2007 11:11:44 PM   
Kingmaker

Hi Eric

Ye gods that was quick, don't you sleep? :-)

No, no buttons, I zoomed in and used the little hand to shift the picture around, bottom of screen shows the 2 soldiers boots with the orange border and about an inch or so of sreen below the orange line.

No have not seen 'Local game' button.

Cheers for quick responce
Peter

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: Can not get FoF to play - 12/27/2007 11:15:22 PM   
ericbabe

This "Oh 1 other thing I noted was the full screen runs of the edge of my monitor (21" CRT Res set to game requirements of 1024 x 768) the orange border dissapears of the edge." is causing the problem then.  I'm having a hard time picturing where it's exactly.  Would you please take a screen snapshot (of the main screen with the animating flags and such) and upload it so I can see exactly where the picture is being trimmed?

(in reply to Kingmaker)
Post #: 4
RE: Can not get FoF to play - 12/27/2007 11:32:33 PM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

Lets see if this works, ... No, err sorry about this Eric but how do I get the Screen shot to you? 

I have saved it as a Win doc file, (quick & easy) but can't paste it here, are you OK with me emailing you direct with the word doc as an attachment? else 'fool proof instructions' please (me being the fool) on how to get screen shot to you.

Cheers
Peter

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 5
RE: Can not get FoF to play - 12/27/2007 11:34:51 PM   
ericbabe

No problem, send to ericbabe@west-civ.com.

(in reply to Kingmaker)
Post #: 6
RE: Can not get FoF to play - 12/28/2007 3:00:56 AM   
Kingmaker

HiHi

Damn, Damn & double ####. hours wasted and it all boiled down to DPI (Dots per inch).

Erics clue re the screen size caused me to go hunting, more luck/desperation than good judgement on my part caused me to look at the DPI settings which were on 120, lowered the DPI to 98 and bingo I'm in, everything fits, can see the buttons and can start smashing up Lincolns armies (eventually).

So if anyone else gets a picture that runs off the screen try lowering the DPI.

All the Best
Peter

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Can not get FoF to play Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI