Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Minor problem with landing base selection after in-air-refeuling and tanker being split

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support >> Minor problem with landing base selection after in-air-refeuling and tanker being split Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Minor problem with landing base selection after in-air-... - 1/5/2008 3:10:22 PM   
RolandRahn_MatrixForum

Hi!

General description
There seems to be a minor problem when a refueling process (in air) is complete and the player decides to split the air group by clicking "Yes". At this point, the player has to select a base/task group where to land. Sometimes, the listed landing sites are wrong.

Reproducable by:
Attached are two save game files.
- Load file "tanker.hpn": 4 hours 36 minutes to go
- DO NOTHING FOR APPROX 20 SECONDS
- At 4 hours 35 minutes 41 seconds, the refeuling process of air group ANA is complete and a question is posted if the air group should be split. Answer this question with "YES"
- At this point, a list with potential landing sites is displayed. Surface group AMS is highlighted as it is only 22 nm away.

Problems:
- Air group ANA is south of New York. Surface Group AMS is south of Otis ANGB. The distance is *far* greater then 22 nm
- Surface group AMS consists of one coast guard cutter, the tankers are two Hercules. They must not be allowed to land on this.

Most likely reason:
At the beginning, air group AUA is focused. Air group AUA is close to Surface Group AMS, and is going to land on AMS (as the airgroup consists only of one Naval eye drone, it is allowed to do so).
So, the landing site is selected as if it would be for (focussed ) air group AUA

Additional tests:

(A)
- Load the save game
- Focus surface group AMS
- Wait for the end of the refeuling process, then answer with "Yes"
=>No landing site can be selected (as there is no airfield big enough to let my coast guard cutter land....)

(B)
- Load the save game
- Wait for the end of the refeuling process, then answer with "Select" (to select the air group)
- Now, answer with "Yes" to split them
=>A list of landing sites/task groups is displayed.
The ranges are OK, but it is still possible to land the group on a coast guard cutter.
Most likely reason: Not the tanker aircraft group is focussed, but the group of planes that had just been refeuled. As these are 4 helicopters, they are allowed to land on a coast guard cutter.

Workaround for player:
Just click select, split the group, after this manually select the tankers and manually land them wherever you want.

Quick&Dirty workaround for developers (as far as I can judge it) :
If the user wants to split, automatically select the splitted tankers.

Best regards and many thanks for your hints regarding my corrupted save file problem,

Roland

PS: I have also attached save file tanker2 - see group AMS, consisting of a coast guard cutter who is currently readying two landed Hercules tankers.....

PSS: Despite a rather long bug description, this is just a minor and easy-to-workaround (for the player) issue that in no way harms the playing experience.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RolandRahn -- 1/5/2008 3:12:56 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Minor problem with landing base selection after in-... - 1/5/2008 5:27:49 PM   
SteveF2006

Speaking of refueling, I had an issue that may be worth looking into while playing in the Atlantic Ocean EC2003. Or maybe I just have misused something.  I was hoping to ferry a group of F/A 18s much farther than they should normally be able to go without refueling so I got the bright idea to give them all a Tanker load out. I was thinking that once they got to Bingo Fuel, they would refuel each other and be good-to-go! Not so! They got to Bingo, wouldn't refuel themselves even when I tried to force them to refuel. Then.... crash and burn! Ouch!

It seems like any aircraft that is given the Tanker load out, can't be refueled itself? Any thoughts?

(in reply to RolandRahn_MatrixForum)
Post #: 2
RE: Minor problem with landing base selection after in-... - 1/5/2008 5:34:42 PM   
TonyE

They aren't supposed to be able to refuel themselves, which obviously creates some unintended situations such as what you are seeing.  I would guess the proper response would be something along the lines of (a Ferry loadout would be more efficient) but I'm not all that into proper responses.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to SteveF2006)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support >> Minor problem with landing base selection after in-air-refeuling and tanker being split Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI