Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply bug?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Supply bug? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply bug? - 1/11/2008 9:04:02 PM   
macgregor

While playing EA as the Germans, I have surrounded Soviet forts and a marine unit along the Dneister. One pocket includes the marine unit and 3 forts in and around Odessa(supposedly not a supply source) , and the other 2 forts next to Uman. All are surrounded, and have been so for 9 or so months. Yet, amazingly, they're all in terrific supply. Someone said I have to attack. But while they're in supply? This defeats the entire purpose of surrounding them in the first place. If this is a game bug, I want to bring it to Ralph's attention. So far, I've had no satisfactory explanation.
Post #: 1
RE: Supply bug? - 1/11/2008 11:18:06 PM   
JAMiAM

You're probably misunderstanding something. A picture (or .sav file) speaks a thousand words. Do you have one available to demonstrate the situation?

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply bug? - 1/12/2008 1:03:49 AM   
macgregor

Why thank you for asking Jamiam. Keep in mind there are two full strength Stalin-forts that are unseen next to the marine unit. The visible fort next to the Soviet marine unit has only lost strength because it was attacked last turn

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply bug? - 1/12/2008 1:32:19 AM   
JAMiAM

The Soviet units are not surrounded. They still have an open line of communication. To block supplies, you need to have a solid veil of your units, and/or their zones of control between the enemy units and their supply sources.

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply bug? - 1/12/2008 1:41:28 AM   
JAMiAM

What you need to do is to station some units at locations that will, by virtue of impassable terrain, their physical presence, and the presence of their zoc's, will block the line of communication to/from the Soviet units and Allied supply sources. The attached photo will show one of several ways of doing this. Just place a unit in each of the circled hexes, and the Soviet units will lose supply.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply bug? - 1/12/2008 2:22:32 AM   
macgregor

I will move them back. However through most of these last 9 months I have had units in those hexes. Yes, all at once. To give you the benefit of a doubt which I have very little of, I will move units back to those hexes. Thank you for your insights.

< Message edited by macgregor -- 1/12/2008 2:23:49 AM >

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply bug? - 1/12/2008 5:10:19 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

I will move them back. However through most of these last 9 months I have had units in those hexes. Yes, all at once. To give you the benefit of a doubt which I have very little of, I will move units back to those hexes. Thank you for your insights.

As long as your opponent cannot reinforce the area (for example, by sea) you should be fairly safe with leaving ant units in the positions indicated, since the immobile units would not be able to advance after combats. The Marine has a movement allowance of 1, so you could pull the units in the hex NE of Odessa back into either 1NE, 1SE, or 2E (Kherson) and have the same effect. If the Marine is unable to break down (fully packed Soviet formations) and move to occupy one of your zoc's, then the forts and Marine will eventually starve and suffer pestilence losses until they are mere shells of their current force. Then, some flank attacks should finish them off with minimal losses.

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Supply bug? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI