Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help first time owner - please!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> Tech Support >> Help first time owner - please!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 4:42:13 PM   
SolomonGrundy

I hope someone can help me. I received Commander:Europe at War for Christmas and guess what...it doesn't work. I have the physical copy and it installed fine. However, when loading from the "Play" link, it simply loads indefinitely without stopping. I have a Pentium D dual core (3 GHz) and an Nvidia 7900 GTx card so I don't think my specs are the problem. I have sent a number o emails to support but no replies. I'm not gonna lie; I am a first time buyer from Matrix and so far I am not very impressed across the board. I'm hoping that someone can help me and change my mind because I would really like to have fun with future matrix products!
Post #: 1
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 6:04:01 PM   
JudgeDredd

Have you tried this?
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1584140

Basically you have to right click on the shortcut and select "Run as administrator". I'm not sure, but I think this is a Vista issue, so if you are running Vista, you might want to try it.

Where did you get the game from? Was it a gift?

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 12/28/2007 6:07:41 PM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to SolomonGrundy)
Post #: 2
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 6:06:13 PM   
JudgeDredd

You may want to tell people what OS you are running (Windows 2000? Windows XP? Windows Vista? Vista type??)

It helps because sometimes (quite often really) it makes a difference)

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 6:12:45 PM   
SolomonGrundy

My OS is Windows XP. I downloaded the patch and it still won't finish loading. I was able to pick the language and computer specs is asks of me but then at the red screen with Guderian to the far right, it just keeps on loading.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 6:14:57 PM   
JudgeDredd

Have you tried the suggestion to run as Administrator?

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 5
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 6:16:21 PM   
SolomonGrundy

I've tried right click...nothing.

Hey Judge! My wife bought the game for me as a Christmas gift. I think she ordered it straight from matrix games (or their sales agent). It was a sealed box.

Post #: 6
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 6:17:18 PM   
SolomonGrundy

It doesn't give me the option to run as administrator when I right click.

Post #: 7
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 6:18:29 PM   
JudgeDredd

Nice one. Well it's a good game...but some people have had issues starting it....but they've all been resolved from what I gather.

I'll look through the posts and see if I can't find anything to help.

Can you explain exactly what you do and what the game does pls?

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 8
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 6:24:22 PM   
JudgeDredd

You could try this also
quote:

firepowerjohan
Try this in combination.

1) Rename the jre folder (the 50+ megabyte one in the root path of your game) to something else, which means it wont be used by the game

2) Install Java 1.5 (game uses only Java 1.5)
https://sdlc4d.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet/DownloadPage:~:com.sun.sunit.sdlc.content.DownloadPageInfo;jsessionid=A70876783526873CD1DFE73F14B8D6D1;jsessionid=A70876783526873CD1DFE73F14B8D6D1

pick the jre-1_5_0_12-windows-i586-p.exe 15.88 MB one from that web page

Result:
Due to renaming the jre folder (jre folder is first priority for the game to use), now the game cannot find it and will instead look for any Java installed on the machine instead. It will find the Java 1.5 on your machine. I hope this helps and would like to know how it turned out.

He's the dev. The game uses Java and it's very fickle what version...so if you try those steps above, it may help...but I'm unsure still of your specific issue.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 6:25:35 PM   
SolomonGrundy

ok here are the steps:

1. put disc into drive.
2. double left click the shortcut on desktop.
3. a screen pops up with a big "PLAY" at the top and other options below (manual, forum, etc).
4. left click "PLAY"......sometimes it will accept the click and proceed, sometimes it does nothing at all at this stage. If it proceeds.....
5. flag screen appears asking the language of preference. I click the good ole Union Jack!
6. a page or two of credits (Kameleon, Matrix, etc) show up and run through.
7. A short snapshot of a battle (tank and infantry in a city I think) runs through.
8. The red loading screen appears (Guderian to far right). The words "Loading Game" are at the bottom and slowly strobing in and out while the game loads. No progress is ever made from this point!

Thanks Judge!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 6:28:03 PM   
SolomonGrundy

Oh Man!! I'm not really sure how to do that...renaming the root path! Can you give me a simple walk through the process?

Post #: 11
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 7:22:32 PM   
firepowerjohan

The Java is working if you see any menus or dialogs starting, so since you got to the loading screen then it cannot be a Java issue. 

Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead developer of:
World Empires Live http://www.worldempireslive.com/
CEAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18
CNAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=52

Post #: 12
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 7:39:02 PM   
SolomonGrundy

Hi Firepower...any suggestions as to what I should do then? Could it be a bad disc? Anything else I could do to get ot working??

(in reply to firepowerjohan)
Post #: 13
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 7:57:04 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well, although it probably isn't the cause, you have no need to put the disk in. I'm only thinking perhaps you putting the disk in whilst you click on the shortcut on the desktop kicks off the installer on the disk whilst you are starting the game, then XP get's it's pants in a twist and hey presto....

So try again but do not put the disk in.

Also, are you using high graphics (can't remember the option)...if so, try changing that to a lower level (although 1GB should be enough).

try these and let me know.

Ans by the way...when you say "The red loading screen appears (Guderian to far right). The words "Loading Game" are at the bottom and slowly strobing in and out while the game loads. No progress is ever made from this point!", how long do you wait and what do you have to do to get out the game?

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 14
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/28/2007 9:04:35 PM   
SolomonGrundy

Ok more info:

1. When I click play, it usually does nothing at all. The only time it will bring me to the loading screen is if I rebbot the computer and then try to play the game.

2. Did not put the disc in...same result. Waited for 10 minutes while still loading.

3. Interesting note.....while loading I hit alt esc to bring me back to desktop. It showed the Play screen again (as it should) but something seemed odd to me. In the taskbar at the bottom, there were two active tasks.....the first responsible for the play scree (menu screen) and the other for the loading screen. However, the task for the loading screen had no name in it...all it had was a blank task box with a "Java cup" symbol in it, nothing else!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/29/2007 1:00:11 AM   
JudgeDredd

Did you try reducing the detail level a notch? Just as a test?

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 16
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/29/2007 9:10:26 AM   
SolomonGrundy

Well I tried the disc at a buddy'd house and it works fine on his PC. I have no clue why it won't work for me.

Man this is frustrating!! I even tried installling the latest Java download.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 17
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/29/2007 9:11:13 AM   
SolomonGrundy

Hi Judge......reducing the detail level a notch??? How do I do that?

Post #: 18
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/29/2007 12:53:38 PM   
IainMcNeil

Sorry you are having problems. Solomon did you download the Matrix patch, and not the Slitherine patch. Each version has its own patch. This might be the issue? Also, what are the specs of the PC - maybe it is not powerful enough?

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Post #: 19
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/29/2007 6:28:00 PM   
SolomonGrundy

Well the computer is a Pentium D Dual Core with an Invidia 7900 GTX card. 2 gig of RAM.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 20
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/29/2007 9:52:39 PM   
TomBombadil711

What what about uninstalling the game and making a new installation afterwards? Sometimes it helps. Good luck!

Tom

Post #: 21
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/30/2007 9:47:25 AM   
SolomonGrundy

Well I guess that's that! I can't play the game and I can't figure out why. I appreciate the help you gave trying to help me. Game support offered one suggestion and it didn't work, so they abandoned me to my own means of figuring it out. Man that sure felt good. Guess I'll just look at the game box and pretend I'm playing it. I'm glad Matrix was able to offer one suggestion for my problem!

(in reply to TomBombadil711)
Post #: 22
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 12/30/2007 9:33:59 PM   
JudgeDredd

Yeah. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. I have never had a problem running it myself, but some did. I had hoped to find someone in the support forums with a similar issue, but the ones I did find didn't appear to elp you.

It is a poor showing from Matrix and the developers, I have to say, but it is the Christmas/New Year break...that could have a lot to do with it.

One other thing...the devs did point out in the past (when the game was released) that they were more "active" on their own forums. I know, I know...but that was suggested in the past..so perhpas it's worthwhile posting over on their forums or looking through their support forum. I know it means registering on yet another website...but if it helps getting the game working.

You can get to their forum with this link http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

Sorry and good luck

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 23
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 1/3/2008 4:10:41 PM   
IainMcNeil

It seems that some files are not installing properly on Solomons machine but we don't know why. Is there some way to check everything has installed properly with the Matrix installer? Does it always generate an error if a file fails to copy over?

Solomon how much disk space do you have free? Maybe this is the issue. Thats the problem with PC's it could be any of a million reasons and most of them are not the games fault.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 1/24/2008 6:43:03 AM   
SolomonGrundy

My customer #1608255322, Order# 1635951718 was ordered Nov. 7, 2007 for a Christmas gift so the game (Commander: Europe at War) was not opened until late Dec.  My husband has made much contact through the forum to get the game working, without success.  He has been playing another game which works fine on our computer...Gary Grigsby World at War.  I am seeking a full refund of this game per my instructions through Matrix Games.  I was told that if the vendor authorizes the refund, they will contact me with instructions on how to receive the refund.

Please advise how I can proceed with the return of this product.  Thank you.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 25
RE: Help first time owner - please!! - 1/24/2008 7:28:56 AM   
Erik Rutins

Please e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> Tech Support >> Help first time owner - please!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI