Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Superbowl XLII Predictions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Superbowl XLII Predictions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/19/2008 9:47:34 AM   
Marauders

With the AFC and NFC Championship games being played, it is a good time to stop by the Maximum Football Forum and predict the winner of Superbowl XLII.

Just drop by the Red Zone in the Maximum Football Forum area and post your prediction in the pinned topic.

Please post your predicted score.

Let's see how well you can do.

There are also other NFL and CFL polls up as well, and new football topics are welcome in the Red Zone!

Maximum Football Forum
Post #: 1
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/19/2008 12:44:28 PM   
ravinhood

45-28 New England over the Packers.

Lol yeah I skipped past the nfc/afc championships why waste time with the miniscule? ;)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 2
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/20/2008 1:46:13 AM   
Marauders

Here is the direct link to the Red Zone!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=412

The poll includes all four teams still alive.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 3
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/21/2008 6:05:11 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Pain.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 4
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/21/2008 6:07:07 PM   
ravinhood

45 - 0 New England over the Giants. ;)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 5
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/21/2008 10:29:23 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

It didn't work that way the last time they met!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 6
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/21/2008 10:34:25 PM   
Terl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

I won't be surprised if the Giants actually won. I think it will be close like the last game they played.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 7
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/21/2008 10:54:19 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

That was last time and this is just for more than the super bowl victory this is for the most undefeated team in history. So, they'll probably run up the score and the kid Manning for the giants will be so nervous he'll turn over the ball 3 or 4 times in interceptions or fumbles. ;)

I have to say though this has been the most unexpected upsets in playoff history I've seen in my lifetime. Should the Giants actually win I think I'll quit watching football it's all fixed. lol Dallas and Greenbay both who led the league in everything get beat by these misfits from NY? lol It's gotta be fixed. They should change it to best 2 out of 3 I hate these cinderella teams getting into the super bowl.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 8
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/21/2008 11:18:02 PM   
Arctic Blast

Dallas was overrated. Their offensive line absolutely cannot pass block one on one, and that Giants D-line ate them alive. Also, their receiving corps as a whole isn't good. You couldn't expect much from Terry Glenn, seeing as he'd only played one game all year, so it was owns, Witten and Crayton again. Now that's a nice trio (unless Crayton is having one of his off games, as it turned out he was, when he doesn't seem to be able to communicate to his hands that they should be catching the ball), but they can't spread the field at all to create some different looks for the defense to react to, because their other receivers are spare parts.

Green Bay simply collapsed. Favre didn't play well, and their playcalling on offense was simply stupid. You don't abandon the run that early, and you don't keep trying pass patterns where everyone is running 30 yards downfield! Mix it up!

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 9
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/21/2008 11:51:53 PM   
anarchyintheuk

I'm biased but the o-line for Dallas wasn't overrated just overweight. They stuffed the Giants and other decent d-lines during the year. Contrary to usual football logic I think the long drives (one drive was 20 plays, think the other was 16 or so) actually wore out the o-line for Dallas, not NY. The Giants only had pressure on the last two drives of the Cowboys in the 4th quarter.

Scattershooting:

IMO Garret's playcalling in the second half was pretty suspect.
Ware and Barber were the only Cowboys to play well.
The Cowboys were outcoached and outplayed.
I anticipate enjoying this year's Superbowl only for drinking and fesitive purposes, not football ones (which is not unusual).

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 10
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/22/2008 4:21:40 AM   
ravinhood

I've just never liked the playoff structure of football as opposed to baseball. They should play the best 2 out of 3 and eliminate wild card teams completely. We have a 4 division structure now in both the nfc and afc so there's no reason it couldn't be changed to a 2 of 3 and play two games a week. One on Sunday and one on Thursday. ;) This would put these cinderella teams like the Giants out of the playoffs and then the best teams would be playing for the championships. Dallas was hardly overrated, Romo just didn't have his stuff like he normally does in the 2nd half. They had two opportunities to win in the 4th and just blew them both. I personally don't think they get the ball to TO enough. He chucks it off to Whitten like he's the only player on the team sometimes. Barber played excellent, but, they got his number rather early and started tackling him below the waist and he didn't get the huge yardage after that. He's no Emmitt Smith that's for sure, but, he is a bull. It just goes to show on any given Sunday a 2nd rate team can get lucky and win. Remember back when Aikman first started they went like 1-15 that year and beat the super bowl champ Washington Redskins, not in the super bowl mind you, but, still in regular season they beat the best team in football. I still look for New England to pulverize the Giants as they should because they are such a better team overall. But, with the way cinderella has been playing in the playoffs a miracle could happen and they might get to goto Disneyland. ;)

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 11
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/22/2008 3:11:52 PM   
James Ward

quote:

I've just never liked the playoff structure of football as opposed to baseball. They should play the best 2 out of 3 and eliminate wild card teams completely. We have a 4 division structure now in both the nfc and afc so there's no reason it couldn't be changed to a 2 of 3 and play two games a week. One on Sunday and one on Thursday. ;)

That is a pretty brutal schedule at the end of a season. I like the idea of a multi-game playoff though. I think it would have to be the 4 teams with the best record as opposed to the 4 Division winners. There have been 9-7 division winners and 9-7 should only get you a good seat in front of your TV

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 12
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/22/2008 3:49:22 PM   
ravinhood

Sports should be about the best teams in the leagues, not who is the luckiest in the playoffs. Basketball doesn't have a hard time having several 5 game and 7 game playoff series. Get rid of 9-7 teams in the playoffs. ;)

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 13
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/22/2008 3:54:47 PM   
JudgeDredd

New England Pats

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 14
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/23/2008 1:01:26 AM   
Arctic Blast

I still think Dallas was overrated, if for no other reason than Wade Phillips is a great defensive co-ordinator, but not much of a head coach. And now, with his O-Co-ordinator making more money than him, the innerworkings of that staff should be...interesting.

I dunno, I LIKE playoff upsets. And going to a series doesn't necessarily change anything. Look at hockey...every single playoff, some number 2 gets smoked by a number 7 that's just playing red hot as the season ends. As for the NBA, their playoffs became less compelling when they dropped the first round 5 game series and went to all sevens.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/23/2008 2:36:17 AM   
ORANGE

As for the Cowboys I think that Romo is overated.  He has a good O line and usually a fair amount of time but he still did not close.  I just do not see him as a franchise QB.

As for the Patriots-Giants I think the Giants will pull it off.  There is a huge amount of pressure on the Pats and I really do not think that Brady is the best QB in the NFL.  He is very good, but not great.  He just haa a lot of time this season and Randy Moss and Welker make him look great. 

Giants 24 - Pats 20

Post #: 16
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/25/2008 10:44:06 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: ORANGE

As for the Cowboys I think that Romo is overated. He has a good O line and usually a fair amount of time but he still did not close. I just do not see him as a franchise QB.

As for the Patriots-Giants I think the Giants will pull it off. There is a huge amount of pressure on the Pats and I really do not think that Brady is the best QB in the NFL. He is very good, but not great. He just haa a lot of time this season and Randy Moss and Welker make him look great.

Giants 24 - Pats 20

So, if it's just his receivers, how do you explain all the previous seasons, putting up big numbers while throwing to 'all stars' like Reche Caldwell and David Givens? Is Brady the best ever? no, it's insanely premature when people start making comments like that. Is he the best in the game right NOW? He just might be.

Besides, you don't seem to mention how the decimated Giants secondary is going to COVER Moss and Welker. And, for me, that's the biggest reason that New England will win the game. New york has a good pass rush, but New England has a good offensive line, so they aren't going to be in Brady's face every snap like they were in Garcia's face every snap in the Tampa game. Also, the Pats have re-discovered their running game, so you can't just play pass D every down. I think it's going to be a closer game than the line indicates, probably something like 29-19.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 17
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/26/2008 1:00:26 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

B-L-O-W-O-U-T 

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

Post #: 18
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/26/2008 10:52:53 PM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast
So, if it's just his receivers, how do you explain all the previous seasons, putting up big numbers while throwing to 'all stars' like Reche Caldwell and David Givens? Is Brady the best ever? no, it's insanely premature when people start making comments like that. Is he the best in the game right NOW? He just might be.

Besides, you don't seem to mention how the decimated Giants secondary is going to COVER Moss and Welker. And, for me, that's the biggest reason that New England will win the game. New york has a good pass rush, but New England has a good offensive line, so they aren't going to be in Brady's face every snap like they were in Garcia's face every snap in the Tampa game. Also, the Pats have re-discovered their running game, so you can't just play pass D every down. I think it's going to be a closer game than the line indicates, probably something like 29-19.

I explain his previous seasons to cheating. Just like this season.

Post #: 19
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/27/2008 1:08:04 AM   
Arctic Blast

You know, I had started on a long winded reply about how ridiculously simplistic your whole "They won everything through cheating" is, but what's the point? It isn't worth my time. Enjoy your time in conspiracy world.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 20
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/27/2008 1:18:11 AM   
Arctic Blast

You STILL have not said how New York's defense is going to stop those receivers. I personally think just falling back on the "They cheated!" excuse is pretty lame, especially since they have been watched like hawks since they were busted in. what. week THREE? So, how do you explain all of their wins SINCE then?

Post #: 21
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/27/2008 7:07:49 PM   
CJMello63

Pats but Giants cover. Take the over too.

Post #: 22
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/31/2008 5:02:16 AM   
ORANGE

quote:

You know, I had started on a long winded reply about how ridiculously simplistic your whole "They won everything through cheating" is, but what's the point? It isn't worth my time. Enjoy your time in conspiracy world.

Are you saying they did not cheat?

Post #: 23
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/31/2008 5:03:33 AM   
ORANGE

quote:

You STILL have not said how New York's defense is going to stop those receivers. I personally think just falling back on the "They cheated!" excuse is pretty lame, especially since they have been watched like hawks since they were busted in. what. week THREE? So, how do you explain all of their wins SINCE then?

It will be easy to stop them. The Giants will play with honor, skill and integity. These are things the Patriots do not have.

Post #: 24
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/31/2008 5:31:45 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

quote:

It will be easy to stop them. The Giants will play with honor, skill and integity. These are things the Patriots do not have.

Even if your claims were true about the Pats, your response here is pretty silly. One can look back through history and find where ina all manner of events your 3 traits you claim the Giants will use have in fact lost to a forc e with out those traits.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 25
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 1/31/2008 5:39:57 AM   
ORANGE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes
Even if your claims were true about the Pats, your response here is pretty silly. One can look back through history and find where ina all manner of events your 3 traits you claim the Giants will use have in fact lost to a forc e with out those traits.

One can also find examples where individuals and teams won because of those traits.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 26
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 2/1/2008 1:08:08 AM   
Arctic Blast

They got caught cheating, I am not denying that, I don't see how in the Hell you can infer that I am! However, they were caught in WEEK ONE. WEEK ONE. Last I checked they won EVERY SINGLE GAME AFTER THAT, and were being watched by the league more closely than any other team! So, again, will YOU finally answer a few question, like how they won THOSE games, since according to you, they're apparently a collection of talentless idiots? Also, HOW will the Giants win? And enough with the honor and integrity crap...that doesn't win games. TALENT wins games. So, again, I ask, HOW are the Giants, with a banged up secondary, going to cover the Patriots spread package?

You accuse everyone else of overly simplistic logic, yet yours quite simply takes the cake, man. Your entire argument breaks down to "They cheated...that explains everything." and it doesn't. In what world are you living that pro sports are HONORABLE?! I wish they were, but that isn't the case, and hasn't been for a LOOOOONG time. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the truth. A lot of former players and coaches have publicly admitted to doing EXACTLY what the Patriots were caught doing, or trying to intentionally injure an opponent, or piping in artificial crowd noise to drown out offensive play calls when their opponent has the ball. Again, I'm not saying any of it is RIGHT, but if you truly think no other team has engaged in this stuff, you're quite simply deluded.

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 27
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 2/1/2008 3:28:33 AM   
ORANGE

quote:

They got caught cheating, I am not denying that, I don't see how in the Hell you can infer that I am! However, they were caught in WEEK ONE. WEEK ONE. Last I checked they won EVERY SINGLE GAME AFTER THAT, and were being watched by the league more closely than any other team! So, again, will YOU finally answer a few question, like how they won THOSE games, since according to you, they're apparently a collection of talentless idiots? Also, HOW will the Giants win? And enough with the honor and integrity crap...that doesn't win games. TALENT wins games. So, again, I ask, HOW are the Giants, with a banged up secondary, going to cover the Patriots spread package?

You accuse everyone else of overly simplistic logic, yet yours quite simply takes the cake, man. Your entire argument breaks down to "They cheated...that explains everything." and it doesn't. In what world are you living that pro sports are HONORABLE?! I wish they were, but that isn't the case, and hasn't been for a LOOOOONG time. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the truth. A lot of former players and coaches have publicly admitted to doing EXACTLY what the Patriots were caught doing, or trying to intentionally injure an opponent, or piping in artificial crowd noise to drown out offensive play calls when their opponent has the ball. Again, I'm not saying any of it is RIGHT, but if you truly think no other team has engaged in this stuff, you're quite simply deluded.

They got caught the first game of THIS season. And it was not by the NFL it was the JETS security that caught them. The ywere cheating before this year as well which is why the NFL asked for all of their tapes and destroyed them. I have no reason to believe they have ever stopped cheating.

As for how the Giants are going to cover the Patriots I think they did well in the regular season game. It was Maroney he did most of the damage. Unless unless the Refs help them like they did for the Steelers two years ago the Giants are going to win this and Bandwagon Nation will find a new bandwagon to jump on.

Post #: 28
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 2/1/2008 7:19:32 PM   
James Ward

quote:

They got caught the first game of THIS season.

Then perhaps the Giants should forfeit some games considering their starting guard just got indicted for steroid distribution.

Perhaps every one over 300 lbs should be considered a cheater!

"How is it that NFL players are randomly tested for steroids and yet continue to get larger all the time? Critics say the reasons are obvious: Players have found ways to circumvent or beat the tests, and the league doesn't try very hard to catch cheaters. Since the league began sanctioning players for positive tests in 1989, only 35 players have been caught—and 17 of those came in the first two years."

http://www.slate.com/id/2067149/

(in reply to ORANGE)
Post #: 29
RE: Superbowl XLII Predictions - 2/1/2008 9:42:00 PM   
Grell

New York to win it, close game 14-7.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Superbowl XLII Predictions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI