Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a decent adaptation of 'The War of the Ring' ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a decent adaptation of 'The War of the Ring' ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a dece... - 2/7/2008 4:00:30 PM   
jremilla

I am a huge Tolkien fan and have enjoyed playing two board game adaptations of the 'War of the Ring': one published in ~1977 by SPI, and the recent title developed by Fantasy Flight. What makes these games fun is that they combine army combat with the task of getting Frodo and company to Mount Doom to destroy the Ring. I would love it if one of Matrix's plucky developers produced a turn-based War of the Ring game for the PC that mimics the mechanics of the board game adaptations. I am thinking here of an interface similar to that used in 'The Forge of Freedom': a strategic map allowing for movement of armies and characters across Middle Earth as well as 'detailed combat' maps to be used for,... well..., detailed combat!!!! The game might also include battles from other periods in Middle Earth's history (i.e. the Battle of the Five Armies in 'The Hobbit').
Post #: 1
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/7/2008 4:10:18 PM   
Grell

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't EA own the Lord of the Rings license?

That would make this impossible.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to jremilla)
Post #: 2
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/7/2008 4:33:23 PM   
ravinhood

Lol and even if EA didn't own the license Matrixgames couldn't afford it.  Matrixgames would be better off coming up with their own story along "simular" lines, but, not exactly copying the war or the story. I've watched Guild Wars pull off using the basic concepts in Dungeon Siege even to the point of the final battle looking and fighting out quite the same as Dungeon Sieges without actually copying it entirely. Matrixgames could do with getting some developer from the fantasy realm though I agree. As popular as Master of Magic was/is I'm surprised they have no fantasy game developers.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 3
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/7/2008 7:18:46 PM   
marcusm

Actually. Ravinhood might disagree but I think the Age of Wonders 1/2 LOTR scenarios superbly
captures the LOTR universe.

Much better than EA:s RTS stuff but I guess it is the most realistic choice if you can't find an old copy of AOW2:SM.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 4
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/8/2008 10:39:18 AM   
ravinhood

While AOW:II & SM can capture the LOTR universe it doesn't makeup for the lame AI, but, destroying the wizard destroys the faction does make sense for that LOTR universe only. Maybe in their next rendition they will add destroy an ITEM (the ring) and you destroy a faction, oh boy won't that be fun?....NOT! lol With that said though if you can stomach that type of easy end to an AI faction or yourself there's an excellent LOTR mod for AOW:SM. I forget the name of it of course because I don't play AOW II or SM anymore an it's been a long time since that mod was posted on the board. It got all kinds of ewwwws and ahhhhhhs though and praise galore and even won some best of blah blah award at the official site.

The AOW II & SM were probably more geared toward scenario type play instead of random battles even though SM came with a random battle generator and the way one took out a faction just wasn't fun to me. The other fault I found with SM was it was just too damn dark even when you zoomed in on the battlefield just too damn dark and if one turned gamma up then it looked crappy. They just were too much into SHADOWS in SHADOW Magic. ;)

Here's the Map/Mod I was talking about for LOTR

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 2/8/2008 10:43:15 AM >

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 5
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/8/2008 6:37:30 PM   
PunkReaper

what jremilla was really saying is that although he is mildy drawn towards the Tolkien world what he really wants is a MEDIEVAL GAME.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 6
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/8/2008 8:19:48 PM   
marcusm

I thought you could turn off that thing Ravinhood.

Btw. There was a mod for AOW 1 as well but that AI wasn't much cooler.

Wasn't there a mod for Mount & Blade as well? I actually
think that engine would work well but it wouldn't be a strategy game of course.

Maybe Stardocks new fantasy game?

< Message edited by marcusm -- 2/8/2008 8:21:32 PM >

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 7
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/8/2008 9:45:07 PM   
ravinhood

Nope you can't turn off leaders in AOW II or AOW:SM only the FIRST ONE. They stupidly left out the ability to turn off leaders so you had to conquer the entire map instead of just taking the capital. They really screwed up AOW II and AOW:SM as far as I'm concerned. I get a sick feeling in my stomach just thinking about playing either one of those two because they ruined what could have been one of the epic classic greats. But, as it stands MOM will still be remembered more for what it offers and does than the AOW series.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 8
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/8/2008 11:10:36 PM   
cdbeck

Ugh, LOTR is about as overused as WWII. Not to be mean, but I would love to see some new blood in the market. I hope that Stardock's new game will bring some neat new stuff to the forefront.

I actually thought that AOW:SW was pretty novel in certain aspect. Sure, it had the prerequisite Elves, Orcs, Goblins, Humans, and Undead, but it also had Frostlings (and their Giant Penguins), those Fremen-like desert people, the Lizard guys, the Angel people, a playable hobbit race (so goofy), and those crazy Shadow demons. Sure, it blantantly stole from Master of Magic, but who doesn't.

That is also why I like Dominions 3 (which is currently onsale BTW). It gives semi-historical races with TONS of different variations based on the age. Units, both buildable and summonable are very unique, based on real-earth mythology or just plain awesome imagination. Blood magic had to be one of the coolest, most sinister ideas in gaming. When you built an evil God in Dominions, you really FELT evil, not just good with evil looking units.

Incidentally: I have not played War of the Ring, but from what I know of it, I think Dominions 3 would be one of the closest things out there at this point.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 9
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/8/2008 11:47:10 PM   
ravinhood

I'd like to see a remake of the Battle for Middle Earth game made for the C64, but, with a better combat engine than the one it used. It was horrible. The best thing about it though is it used the entire map of Middle Earth and you had a choice of paths to take and who went where. Gandalf was equal to like 100 orcs or goblins and could take on whole armies by himself as long as you gave him some support. I bet the map alone I have for that game is worth a fortune now. It's huge.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 10
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/9/2008 3:34:20 AM   
Hanal

I don't know how many threads I have advocated an SPI LOTR game for the pc so it is nice to read someone else taking up the mantle. Not that it really matters at this point as I doubt such a game will ever be made now...I'll just live with the AOW II mods...........

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 11
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/9/2008 3:45:23 AM   
ravinhood

Yeah isn't it a shame that CF games get the license for LOTR but we can't get a single one turn based hex based game of it? Even the one made for the C=64 way back then was URTCF.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 12
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/9/2008 4:12:55 AM   
Warfare1

There are several excellent LoTR scenarios for Civ II available:

1) The LoTR v4.0 by Harlan Thompson

2) The LoTR Trilogy by Favoured Flight

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/scenarios/fantasy/

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Lord_of_the_Rings_Series

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 2/12/2008 2:50:55 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 13
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/9/2008 1:58:28 PM   
Arsan

And there is even an interesting TOAW scenario for LOTR
But the AoW: SM ones are the best. Just terrific.
Check this
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=386
or this
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=399

Regards

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 14
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/9/2008 2:32:35 PM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

Civ II can be had on the cheap now so perhaps I'll check this out......thanks

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 15
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/9/2008 10:01:54 PM   
invernomuto

I would like to see a medieval-fantasy turn based TACTICAL videogame. Like warhammer, but turn based and with better rules. There is the Tin Soldier series, but it's ancient times...

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 16
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/9/2008 10:07:37 PM   
PunkReaper

invernomuto you are exactly the kind of guy we need to jion the "WE WANT A MEDIEVAL/fantasy turned based (tactical) game" pressure group...sign up now!

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 17
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/10/2008 1:06:48 AM   
marcusm

Signed. As long as it is something interesting like Kingmaker ;).

What about scenarios for Civ IV BTS? Technically that would be best due to moddability
but the combat engine does suck a bit. Never really got past that.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 18
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/10/2008 1:31:07 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

quote:

Civ II can be had on the cheap now so perhaps I'll check this out......thanks

There are literally HUNDREDS of scenarios for Civ2 available (and more are still being created with new artwork, etc), so buying it is one of the best investments you will ever make.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 19
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/10/2008 6:41:07 PM   
invernomuto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

invernomuto you are exactly the kind of guy we need to jion the "WE WANT A MEDIEVAL/fantasy turned based (tactical) game" pressure group...sign up now!

Signed

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 20
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/12/2008 2:16:12 AM   
Warfare1

Another excellent LoTR scenario for Civ2:

Lord of the One Ring

Lord of the One Ring stays true to the sequence of pivitol moments written into the triology, be they localized events like the appearance of Treebeard or epic battles like the Battle of Pelennor Fields. Tolkien enthusiasts will find little to complain about. In a sense, this work is a balanced blending of Harlan Thompson's earlier LOTR scenario which focused on the battle for Middle Earth and Favoured Flight's LOTR series which concentrated on the quest to destroy the Ring.

Players who are less familiar with the Lord of the Rings will not find themselves in any way disadvantaged. Description entries for all research items and each wonder of Middle Earth have been created and event messages together with the tech tree will guide the way.

There are two ways to destroy the Ring so the scenario can be played twice. The first option is the canon way, directing Frodo and Sam with the Ring through Cirith Ungol and across Mordor to Mount Doom on a sub-map. The other approach is more direct, building up a huge army and storming through the Black Gate while escourting a hobbit to Mount Doom on the main map.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Lord_of_the_One_Ring

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 2/12/2008 2:20:42 AM >

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 21
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/12/2008 2:47:36 AM   
Warfare1

The original MTW game has two LoTR mods currently in development:

THE SILMARILLION: TOTAL WAR

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=30864

MIDDLE EARTH: TOTAL WAR:

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=30862

The Armies of Isengard are on the march:

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 2/12/2008 2:49:47 AM >

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 22
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/12/2008 5:43:01 AM   
orwell

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Lol and even if EA didn't own the license Matrixgames couldn't afford it. Matrixgames would be better off coming up with their own story along "simular" lines, but, not exactly copying the war or the story. I've watched Guild Wars pull off using the basic concepts in Dungeon Siege even to the point of the final battle looking and fighting out quite the same as Dungeon Sieges without actually copying it entirely. Matrixgames could do with getting some developer from the fantasy realm though I agree. As popular as Master of Magic was/is I'm surprised they have no fantasy game developers.

They could always use the Wagnerian Ring stories, The Ring of the Nibelung.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 23
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/12/2008 5:48:55 AM   
mikul82

quote:

The AI in MTW 1 can actually put up a decent fight as well.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 24
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/12/2008 9:13:26 AM   
ravinhood

The reason the AI puts up a better fight in MTW1 is because of the provinces, the AI tends to gather up in one instead of spreading out into 2's and 3's like it does in RTW and M2TW. I had more epic battles in MTW1 than I did combined in RTW and M2TW. Hour long or more battles are the best. I've never enjoyed a battle system better than the MTW1 battle system. Not only was the AI better, but, you could record them and watch them later on. RTW and M2TW only allow for recording custom battles and those are boring compared to the epic battles of the campaign game.

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 25
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/13/2008 2:52:04 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlc82

quote:

The AI in MTW 1 can actually put up a decent fight as well.

I have been beaten many times by the AI and its fiendish ways

(in reply to mikul82)
Post #: 26
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/13/2008 3:06:49 AM   
Warfare1

Here is another LoTR scenario (for Civ2 ToT) that's in development:

http://users.tpg.com.au/jpwbeest/jp_wotr.htm

And the artwork for Civ2 continues to improve:

Attachment (2)

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 27
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/13/2008 3:11:31 AM   
Joram

That Mount and Blade (which I think was picked up by Paradox) has a LOTR mod.  It actually had a decent ability to capture the flavor of the genre.  But it was also somewhat limited when I was looking at it a few months ago.  Maybe it's improved.  Anyway, there's a free demo (which you can then download the mod and apply to) to get a feel for it.  Couldn't hurt.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 28
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/13/2008 4:09:33 AM   
jremilla

Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like I may have to get Civ II!

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 29
RE: My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a ... - 2/16/2008 8:11:15 PM   
ravinhood

You don't have Civ II?? Why that's Sacelreligious not to have Civ II the best Civ in the entire series. How could you not have Civ II? ;)

(in reply to jremilla)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> My 'fantasy' request: Can someone please develop a decent adaptation of 'The War of the Ring' ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI