Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is playing against PO an easy win?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Is playing against PO an easy win? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is playing against PO an easy win? - 1/16/2008 7:03:25 PM   
damezzi

Hi!

Since some months I've been thinking about going through TOAW learning curve, but without too much time for gaming I would play it mainly against PO.
Just to know if it's worth the time spent, I would just like to know if the PO poses a real challenge to those who already knows the game mechanics, considering the scenario is well designed, or will I get an easy win after becoming familiar with the game.
I don't want to know if the computer is tactically or strategically brilliant. I just want to know if I will get beaten by it from time to time... if not, there will no point for me learning the game.

Thanks,

Damezzi
Post #: 1
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 1/16/2008 7:27:03 PM   
Jeff Norton

A year (or more) ago - so-so

After updating with patches - mucho better.

Best experience for playing is against another human. That is a true challenge....

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 2
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 1/18/2008 1:15:42 PM   
a white rabbit

..no, not now..

..Elmer's no push over, on a well-designed scen, and there i'd suggest you ask for recomendations and learn whilst the next generation, with a load more event spaces,  come on line..

..welcome to toaw-evolution..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to Jeff Norton)
Post #: 3
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 1/18/2008 1:47:25 PM   
Karri

It's an easy win. PBEm is the way to truly enjoy the game.

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 4
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 1/22/2008 4:30:18 AM   
damezzi

Thanks all of you!

I suppose that those who play PBEM frequently will usually be playing more than one game simultaneously. I ask this question because, since I don't have too much free time for playing, if I decide playing by e-mail, maybe it would take me, sometimes, a whole week or more to send my turn. Would I find such a patient human opponent to play with? Elmer will wait for me to play; at least that I know about him.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 5
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 1/22/2008 5:09:14 AM   
SMK-at-work

I played "Forgotten battles of WW1" (I think the series was called" for ages against het AI and won 1 or 2 games.....could be saying more about me than hte AI of course...:)

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 6
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 1/22/2008 6:58:09 AM   
L`zard

quote:

ORIGINAL: damezzi

Thanks all of you!

I suppose that those who play PBEM frequently will usually be playing more than one game simultaneously. I ask this question because, since I don't have too much free time for playing, if I decide playing by e-mail, maybe it would take me, sometimes, a whole week or more to send my turn. Would I find such a patient human opponent to play with? Elmer will wait for me to play; at least that I know about him.

No fears, damezzi!

There really are some members of the community that aren't out-right throat cutters, LOL! Especially if you ask for a game, and are careful to state your parameter with emphasis on turn-around time, eh?

Go here: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=f7646a1286604e3c837b2f87a49898e9&f=10 and poke about a bit....

You'll find lots of people just starting pbem as well as some gracious grognards willing to help you learn the fine points and answer questions.

You can ask Veers when the next New Players Colledge will start, eh?

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 7
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 1/27/2008 4:29:14 AM   
damezzi

thank you all!

I will begin climbing the curve.

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 8
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 1/27/2008 5:00:54 AM   
rhinobones

For a contest against the AI, I suggest you try the scenario Tulane version T3v2g. It is specifically designed for singular play with the capability (via Theater Options) to be played PBM.

Every game is different. And, if you can win more than 2 out of 3, write me a note so that I can make it more difficult for the Cheyenne to win.

Regards, RhinoBones

< Message edited by rhinobones -- 1/27/2008 9:02:45 AM >

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 9
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 2/1/2008 8:13:57 AM   
cymloveselva

Not too sure for me...
But it's quite hard for me to lure an PO to attack my "Rashin" & "Sinuiju"...

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 10
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 2/15/2008 9:33:11 PM   
Karri

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

For a contest against the AI, I suggest you try the scenario Tulane version T3v2g. It is specifically designed for singular play with the capability (via Theater Options) to be played PBM.

Every game is different. And, if you can win more than 2 out of 3, write me a note so that I can make it more difficult for the Cheyenne to win.

Regards, RhinoBones

Sorry to say but it was quite easy. Didn't have to even move most of my forces for the later half of the scenario.

I skimmed thgouht the briefing and didn't even have a good picture what I was supposed to do, chose so much forces that I had 9 supply left...far more forces than I would have needed.

Anyways, the obvious exploit in the game was the fact that all railroad was captured intact. This ment that even with my low supply I could simply move most of the units into the frontline by rail...on the same turn I discovered the enemy location, and they were all fresh and ready to fight. I suggest you decrease that to....say 80% and then add auto-repair of X value..

Furthermore the AI didn't really put up a fight, it rather retreated than fought...and even if it has 100 supply, it doesn't matter if it's forces are encircled.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 11
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 2/16/2008 6:06:01 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Some players have commented that playing the Allies against a German PO in my "Germany 1945 (Last Stand)" scenario can be a challenge.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 12
RE: Is playing against PO an easy win? - 2/16/2008 7:02:00 PM   
rhinobones

Never really expected for someone to use 91% of the supply to deploy formations!! But, it’s all legal within the conscripts of the game. Maybe you should try it using progressively fewer units until the scenario provides more of a challenge.

What happened with the other two games . . . as in 2 out of 3?

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Is playing against PO an easy win? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI