Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Smothering Operations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Smothering Operations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Smothering Operations - 2/22/2008 11:12:34 AM   
herwin

Last night, I played a turn of Empire of the Sun. This is not the best game on the Pacific War, but it is unusual in having a strategic focus, and Mark Herman is trying to define a good model of an air/sea offensive against a prepared defender. Two things are unusual about EotS: the special role of intelligence and 'smothering' operations on bases. On the scale of WiTP, there is probably no need to have a special mechanism for surprise attacks as long as the intelligence model is reasonable, so I'll concentrate on 'smothering' operations.

Smothering operations were the air attacks on the bases (both air and naval) supporting the target under attack. These could be land-based and gradual or carrier-based and sudden. Their effect in both cases was to eliminate the base from playing a role in the defence of the target. Gradual land-based smothering had two effects--it disrupted normal operations of the base, and it gradually destroyed the base infrastructure while it kept the base disrupted. A carrier-based strike had the same effect, but over a much shorter time scale, and without the long-term disruption.

To model this, WiTP needs to treat an air attack as forcing a naval base to pause in its refitting, resupplying, and refueling of ships. Similarly, an air attack on an airbase should disrupt the preparation of offensive air sorties and the repairing of aircraft. When base infrastructure has been damaged, the efficiency of the base in those tasks needs to be degraded. I'm not sure that the game currently gets this right. In particular, the shore bombardment mission seems to play the role in the game of the carrier-based strike in reality.

Comments?

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Post #: 1
RE: Smothering Operations - 2/22/2008 11:28:06 AM   
witpqs

Most of what you cite seems to be lacking. WITP does use up ops points for ships in port (whether in a TF or dispersed) that suffer an air attack. I'm uncertain of the exact mechanism - I suspect it has to do with the individual ship being targeted. If so, that is inadequate because, as you say, the whole base would stop refueling, unloading, etc.

Second, readying of aircraft and loading & unloading of ships are definitely affected by corresponding base damage. We would have to compare the routines to what you judge to be appropriate effects to see if WITP measures up. Runway damage affects ops losses, I'm unsure if it has other effects.

Lastly, supplies take hits as well, whether as much as they should or not is a question.

The other items you mention do seem to be immune from impact.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Smothering Operations - 2/22/2008 11:37:19 AM   
witpqs

BTW, it's here:

http://www.gmtgames.com/nneots/main.html

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Smothering Operations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI