Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/22/2008 5:08:39 PM   
TommyBoy84

Hey again guys,

Thanks for your time in answering my questions so far, I really appreciate it. I think the title says it all in this one.... how exactly does Play-By-E-mail work?

Is it easy to set up and make a continuing game out of?

Is it a built in feature of the game that's had all the bugs worked out of it, or is it just something you guys have figured out how to do so you don't have to deal with the AI?

Does the game function the same doing PBEM, or are there differences in how it works versus playing solo against the computer?

I'd imagine the competition and realism is much better, but are there any significant negatives?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/22/2008 5:21:34 PM   
Nomad

The game works exactly the same and PBEM was incorporated into the design of the game. There are two negatives I can think of, your opponent may quit, and it is much slower playwise.

(in reply to TommyBoy84)
Post #: 2
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/22/2008 5:31:19 PM   
Roger Neilson II

Ok, the game plays almost exactly the same as PBEM.

First Jap sets password, ends order phase, attaches XXX.pws file to email sends to Allied
Allied sets password, ends order phase, attaches XXX.pws file to email sends to Allied
Jap watches action, Jap makes orders, ends orders, attaches relevant xxx.pws combat.txt file, intel files, and 001.pws file to email and sends to Allied
Allied watches 001.pws to see what happened (caution its not always what actually happened which is why you read the combat.txt file as the 'truth')Allied makes orders, ends orders, attaches xxx.pws file to email sends to Jap.

Repeat until one side or the other gives up! It sounds more complex than it is, you quickly get into the swing of it.

The difference is that you are playing against a sneaky, conniving, evil, manipulative, cunning, underhanded, calculating, unpredictable guy who you will probably end up calling all the names under the sun - and become a good friend of said guy!

There are some people I would not PBEM against either because they don't seem to have my outlook on things, or they are more concerned about winning and 'bending' the game to make a win possible.

General consensus is ask around for sensible house rules, agree to discuss if there are issues emerging, both of you agree what type of game you want and go for it.

I have only come across two or three people I would not play against. I am currently running 4 games and enjoying all of them!In one I am actually winning!!!!!!

However say goodbye to the rest of your life!

Roger

(in reply to TommyBoy84)
Post #: 3
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/22/2008 5:33:29 PM   
Roger Neilson II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

The game works exactly the same and PBEM was incorporated into the design of the game. There are two negatives I can think of, your opponent may quit, and it is much slower playwise.

Agreed, in the same way as fine wine should be drunk slower........

Roger

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 4
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/22/2008 5:33:46 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

ORIGINAL: TommyBoy84

Hey again guys,

Thanks for your time in answering my questions so far, I really appreciate it. I think the title says it all in this one.... how exactly does Play-By-E-mail work?

It works good Japan player starts the game....enters the password he wants to use (cap-sensitive). For non-historic, Japan player does moves...executes turn and save to a slot (ex.: slot 10). Japan player emails save slot 10 to Allied player. Allied player loads slot 10....enters password....does move....executes turn and saves to slot 10....emails slot 10 to japan player. Japan player load slot 10....combat starts....Japan player does moves....executes and save to slot 10.....email slot 10 and slot 001 (combat replay) (and I would suggest the combat report.txt, also) to Allied player. Allied player loads and watches slot 001....loads slot 10....does move....executes and save to slot 10...email slot 10 (only) to japan player.......etc.

quote:

Is it easy to set up and make a continuing game out of?

The first turn for the Japan player can be very complexed to set up for non-historic games, but once the game gets going it is pretty easy.

quote:

Is it a built in feature of the game that's had all the bugs worked out of it, or is it just something you guys have figured out how to do so you don't have to deal with the AI?

It is a built in feature of the game

quote:

Does the game function the same doing PBEM, or are there differences in how it works versus playing solo against the computer?

game works the same

quote:

I'd imagine the competition and realism is much better, but are there any significant negatives?

One negative is the speed of the game. Against the AI, a person can do many turns in a day. Versus a human, life tends to interfere at times and the game may take awhile to complete. However, there are some players that can spit out multiple turns in a day.

< Message edited by Charbroiled -- 2/22/2008 5:35:10 PM >

(in reply to TommyBoy84)
Post #: 5
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/22/2008 5:44:23 PM   
TommyBoy84

I'll definitely be hitting you guys up for some PBEM games after I get the swing of things!

Speaking of that....how long did it take you guys of playing the game until you really started to get a feel for things?

(in reply to TommyBoy84)
Post #: 6
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/22/2008 5:57:47 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

ORIGINAL: TommyBoy84

I'll definitely be hitting you guys up for some PBEM games after I get the swing of things!

Speaking of that....how long did it take you guys of playing the game until you really started to get a feel for things?

never

IMHO, if you practice a few invasions against the AI to the point where you are comfortable with the timing and the technique to increase the chance for success, you should be ready to take on a PBEM. If you are a masochist, take on an experienced player that will to teach you with "tough love". You will probably get "smoked" but you will learn a lot. Or, find another first (or second) timer of PBEM and learn from each others mistakes. Don't worry about making mistakes....you will make some no matter how experienced you are with the game.

< Message edited by Charbroiled -- 2/22/2008 6:05:56 PM >

(in reply to TommyBoy84)
Post #: 7
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/22/2008 5:58:09 PM   
Roger Neilson II

There's two views on that, with a lot in between. View 1 is never ever PBEM until you know the game inside out - that means you will never ever PBEM. View 2 is that the best way to learn is to PBEM - it definitely supports the maxim that the best way to learn is from your mistakes. IF you go for 2 then make it clear when you ask for opponents that you are very new - some will not wish to take you apart - some will quite quickly - and some will take you apart but offer a lot of advice as they rip you inside out about how you could have done better.

I am firmly a number 2 player, have learned and continue to learn form the kind gentlemen who rip me apart..... and from my faithful opponent who I am ripping apart but he still scares the hell out of me with moves like the one he just unleashed!

Roger

(in reply to TommyBoy84)
Post #: 8
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/22/2008 7:18:30 PM   
AW1Steve

I am a recent convert to PBEM playing , and currently am playing three games with three extremely helpfull and considerate players  (Bobo,Sprior and Onime) and I can't begin to express the enjoyment and pleasure that I get from these games! I also have a long-term game going with the AI, used mainly to try out new tactics and learn new things from the game, when it wouldn't be right , or prudent to use on a real person.

Talk to an experinced player, find one who is tolerant and helpfull, and give it a try. But be warned on one thing--a PBEM is as demanding as a new born baby! When a turn is in the box--PLAY IT! Or those wonderfully tolerant mentors will turn into Tormentors!   Honor the TURN!

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 9
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/25/2008 6:58:42 AM   
TommyBoy84

Thanks for all the replies guys.  My excitement for this game doubles with every day it doesn't arrive!  All of you seem like you'd be wonderful colleagues and competitors.  The (insert expletive here) game hasn't gotten here yet, but when it does, I'll be putting probably every last minute of free time I have into it.  Here's looking forward to many PBEM moments with all of you!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 10
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/25/2008 7:58:42 AM   
Feinder

I'd suggest playing at least a month or so (of game time) against the AI before tackling PBEM.  First off, if you haven't gotten the game yet (seems so), your head will explode when you see the detail.  After you finished scraping the grey-matter off the walls, your next phase is the "OMG, how can I handle all of this!  My head has exploded already, and...  Awe crap, there it goes again..."

Ker-splat.

So that's why playing for a month or so vs. the AI is a good thing.  You'll get some (very) basic understanding of the game.

When you -do- take the plunge to PBEM, post that you're new. 

A benefit of going against another new player is that, you both really have no idea what you're doing, and you can make mistakes together (you will many times say, "Holy shiznit, I never knew you could even do that!" - and chances are, your oppenent just happend upon it by accident a turn ahead of you).  The bad thing about playing a new player is, in the inevitable inital carrier battle, somebody is usually get completely clobbered, and new player is tempted to walk because they think the game hopeless.  It's not, but that doesn't stop a lot of folks from doing so.

Playing a more experienced player guarentees that you're going to get killed.  The benefit is that, you're going to lear alot, so the next time game you play you'll be so much the wiser (most folks have 2 or 3, or more games going concurrently).  A more experienced player is also less likely to throw his hands up and walk away.

Since you seem to be waiting for the game to arrive, amuse yourself by reading some of the AARs.  You can get a reasonable feel of what to expect by seeing some of the longer running games.  Some read more like a book (Hibiki), with a limited scope of the war; some are simply a good read and are great reference points for strategy, and some are just down-right hilarious (Eternity).  And in my own AAR vs Bilbow - I won an initial CV battle that many would have written the game off as over; except that 6 months later he kicked my butt in a similar Midway type encouter, and the game really is "anyone's ball-game" at this point. So even when you're sure you've lost, hang in there.  If anything you'll learn more of "what not to do".

Welcome aboard (pre-emptively),
-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to TommyBoy84)
Post #: 11
RE: Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? - 2/25/2008 10:40:19 AM   
TommyBoy84

Thanks Feinder.  I'm in no way expecting this game to be easy...but that's why I bought it.  Up until a few weeks ago, I was still putting lots of time into...ready....PTO II on the super nintendo.  I haven't had a chance to play WiTP yet, but there's no way the AI can be as scripted and dim-witted as on PTO II.  You could win the war by the end of 1941 on that game if you knew what you were doing.  I also realize there's much more going on "behind the scenes" with WiTP like supply and troop movement that the PTO series only had in very limited and unrealistic fashion.

But yes, I do plan on making sure I at least know what things do and have some basic strategy sense before I make a pathetic first attempt at a PBEM game.  This is one thing I don't think I'll mind losing at....at least at first.  I know some of you guys have put weeks and months of actual in-game time into WiTP, and I don't expect to be able to give you much of a challenge until I get my rear end handed to me several times.

But, nevertheless, thank you again, all of you, for your kind words and support so far.  Ugh!  Why won't my game just get here!?

< Message edited by TommyBoy84 -- 2/25/2008 10:44:11 AM >

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Another newbie question: How does PBEM work exactly? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI