Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPWAW Mine Clearance Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWAW Mine Clearance Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPWAW Mine Clearance Question - 9/19/2000 4:36:00 AM   
jpgr

First Off: Great Game!! Ive been a fan of SP since it started. My question is, how do you know when ALL mines have been cleared from a hex? Does the skull and crossbones disappear?? TIA, George

Post #: 1
- 9/19/2000 5:13:00 AM   
Drake

Let me till you a secret, I have ben playing this game from the start vs the AI and many human oppanants in many scenarios and I have yet to clear a minefield or even try to clear one. Always find its a wast of time. Drive or walk over the dame things. A good part of the time you dont set them off anyway.

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 2
- 9/19/2000 5:17:00 AM   
Supervisor

Once ALL of the mines have been cleared, the totenkopf goes away. It may take several turns depending on how many were laid in the hex

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 3
- 9/19/2000 7:32:00 AM   
jpgr

Great, thats what I was looking for... I response to the earlier reply, Ive never cleared a minefield beofre either, in my years of playing SP... I just didnt want to get my armor/trucks taken out the first time they get on the beach... Thanks guys.... George

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 4
- 9/19/2000 8:14:00 AM   
Rhone

I have been playing for a while and every time I roll a medium or light tank over a minefield it generally untracks or destroy them. You can move infantry over them, but clear a path for your tanks. A notification will appear saying, "A path has been cleared for hex". There you go.

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 5
- 9/23/2000 10:16:00 PM   
robot

I do clear mines. My way is to find minefield first. Move engineers up to small front. Put several squads in one hex. right next to each other. Maybe four hexs wide, this puts several squads working at one time on a hex. Afer several have been cleared from hex march up inf. into hex being cleared they can then help with clearing. You may still lose one or two inf but the clearing goes faster. Soon as one hex is cleared start bringing up tanks. Have always been able to get thru fields this way. Engineers is the key. ------------------ Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 6
- 9/23/2000 10:23:00 PM   
RUsco

Youe also might want to keep a good smoke screen in front of your Engineers. I am not 100% sure,but I believe if the are suppressed they may not clear mines.

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 7
- 9/23/2000 11:42:00 PM   
jpgr

Hmmm... that may explain why it took so long for the engineers to clear out the mines. Some of them had a suppression of 1-2 a couple of turns... but I still saw them clearing a few mines every turn. Maybe they dont clear as many. Ive got some cavalry that have been clearing mines for 15 turns in one hex and they still arnt done! Anyway, thanks for the tips, info, and usggestions... the French are on the run right now :-). George

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 8
- 9/24/2000 3:56:00 AM   
Red Baron

Havn´t tried it yet in WAW, but in SP3 it works this way; A couple of turns of heavie shelling (122mm an above - Ger. 150mm seems to do a really good job) and then as state before a lot of pioneers/engeneers and the job is done Regards..Red Baron ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!!

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 9
- 9/24/2000 4:41:00 AM   
Paul Saunders

Remember that engineers either need to be in the hex or facing it to clear mines. A typical minefield has 10 mines, usually 1 squad will clear 2 or 3 each turn, so it may take 4 or 5 turns. However if you put a whole platoon of engineers to work on one hex you can clear it in 1 or 2 turns. Some minefields may have a lot more mines, perhaps 30 or 40, but you have no way of knowing that. Ordinary infantry can clear mines as well, but not so fast. Engineers can often move through minefields with no ill effects.

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 10
- 9/24/2000 5:11:00 AM   
mogami

When using mines make sure to have them covered by a MG or 2 so the engineers can't work unmolested. I like to put 2 mines and a wire in a hex and then call the arty on the devils when they pile up in front of it. Heh heh heh

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 11
- 9/24/2000 7:19:00 AM   
jpgr

Unfortunately, Engineers riding in trucks are NOT immune to minefields.... I was hurrying some guys north today and the truck ran into a minefield... engineers got a little upset about that :-). Im going to try the "whole platoon o' engineers" thing tonight while storming the beaches in Morocco. I need to get armor on the beach quickly... George

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 12
- 9/25/2000 12:25:00 PM   
Raindem

I don't usually use my engineers to clear mines unless I got alot of time to work with and I know I can cover/support them. I use engineers to run up and down the front detecting minefields, and then hoping there is a gap somewhere that I can rush my units through.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to jpgr)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWAW Mine Clearance Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI