Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Opinion: Are Finns over-modelled?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Opinion: Are Finns over-modelled? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Opinion: Are Finns over-modelled? - 4/13/2002 4:11:54 AM   
Mikimoto

Hi.

Finns fought an early and succesful war against the sovs. But their later performance in the Leningrad Front was... poor. Not fully engaged, lacked will and enthusiasm. They fought another succesful war in 44, the Continuation war, but another time defending their country. I think they fought well in their country, in the dense wooded lands of Finland, only. And I think they are heavily overmodelled in Spwaw, as are Gerries and Yanks.
What do you think about this?

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio
Post #: 1
- 4/13/2002 4:47:50 AM   
peter hellman

To my knowledge the Finns did not even try to attack Leningrad, but stayed static. Mannerheim knew that Leningrad was a big thing for the Russians, and he did not want to annoy them in case of the war turn against the Germans (and the Finns). So even as the Germans asked multiple times for the Finns for more activity against Leningrad, they did not react. And, as history shows, it was the wise thing to do.

Of course the Finns are not overmodelled, history shows that also.

"If you want to live in peace, you have to prepare for war" - Adolf Ehrnrooth

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 2
yes, but... - 4/13/2002 5:34:36 AM   
Mikimoto

Nothing to say about wise Finn foreign policy. Your country did what it could, or what it believed was secure, I feel. Perhaps not much enthusiasm out of Finnish borders...
This thread is not against your country or your people. I feel the Finns in Spwaw are almost super-humans, specially the infantry, that is entirely elite compared with every and each other country, including the Germans (well, the US infantry has the same symtoms).

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 3
Another Finn weighing in... - 4/13/2002 7:05:09 AM   
Auslander

The Finns fought fanatically against the Russians- it was a personal issue, fought over many years of animosity against the Russians and their desire to take land from Finland. At every turn they outfoxed the Reds and the only way Russia was able to take a victory was through sheer numbers of force. The Finn forces were elite to a man, especially the ski troops(Sissi). John Keegan calls the Finns the "heartiest and the most war-like of all the European peoples"; the Russians sent mostly conscripts and green infantry into the waiting trap of a lot of very angry, very capable Finns. When it was all said and done, Finland had lost some 25,000 men (percentage-wise, a huge blow to their small population) while the Russians lost over 200,000. Being of Finnish descent, I am extremely proud of my heritage, and the valiant fight they brought to the Russians.

Auslander (Chris Lehto)

'Tis on Earth my cohorts contend. Whosoever layeth down his arms Him shall I disown.

Yrjö Jylhä, "The Weary Soldiers"

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 4
Re: Another Finn weighing in... - 4/13/2002 7:27:13 AM   
JJKettunen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Auslander
[B]The Finns fought fanatically against the Russians- it was a personal issue, fought over many years of animosity against the Russians and their desire to take land from Finland. At every turn they outfoxed the Reds and the only way Russia was able to take a victory was through sheer numbers of force. The Finn forces were elite to a man, especially the ski troops(Sissi). John Keegan calls the Finns the "heartiest and the most war-like of all the European peoples"; the Russians sent mostly conscripts and green infantry into the waiting trap of a lot of very angry, very capable Finns. When it was all said and done, Finland had lost some 25,000 men (percentage-wise, a huge blow to their small population) while the Russians lost over 200,000. Being of Finnish descent, I am extremely proud of my heritage, and the valiant fight they brought to the Russians.

Auslander (Chris Lehto) [/B][/QUOTE]

Hear, hear!

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 5
- 4/13/2002 7:51:32 AM   
Auslander

Hehe...

I find that, when given the option, the best course is to NOT mess with the Finns....we stick together. Just ask the Ruskies!

Auslander

'Tis on Earth my cohorts contend. Whosoever layeth down his arms Him shall I disown.

Yrjö Jylhä, "The Weary Soldiers"

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 6
- 4/13/2002 7:57:22 AM   
Mojo

Finn + Mauser + puukko= Russian nightmares

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 7
Mikimoto's nation preference? - 4/13/2002 7:58:08 AM   
KG Erwin

Mikimoto, you rail against the US and Finn nationality characteristics, so I'm wondering, who you think is underrepresented and why? And why, specifically, do you want to underrate the US and Finns? Listen, the argument has been made for years that the Germans have been overrated in wargames. I think that's all a crock. Serious study HAS been done in the relative combat abilities of the Germans vis a vis their opponents. The survey says--the Germans DID have a man-for-man better kill vs loss ratio THROUGHOUT the war, including the defensive phase from 1943-45. As for the Finns, one need only consider the 1939-40 Russian offensive. The Finns were superb, and the Russians had to reconsider their training and tactical methods. This had far-reaching ramifications, not the least of which was Hitler's decision to launch "Barbarossa" when he did. The intelligence gathered by the Finns during the "Winter War" DID have a huge and ultimately baleful effect upon Foreign Armies East, the intel section of OKW, and the overall negative impression the German miltary establishment had for the Red Army and Air Force.

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 8
more - 4/13/2002 8:09:48 AM   
JJKettunen

When studying Finnish history, it amazes me how militaristic the nation was during 1930´s. And I mean democratic militarism, where significant part of the population voluntarely joined the para-military organization of Suojeluskunta to develope their combat skills and other related abilities. Fe physical fitness was really appreciated. You can check medal tables from the Olympics of 1920´s and 1930´s and notice that Finland was one of the leading countries, especially in track-and-field sports. Terminology of our national sport, pesäpallo (much alike baseball) was militaristic indeed. Fe a player can have be "wounded" in it.

Women were not supposed to learn fighting, but Lotta-Svärd organization offered them training in supply and nursing tasks for the Army. Few western countries utilized their womanpower to war efforts like Finland did.

And when you combine these (and all other not mentioned factors) with the fact, that the traditional enemy was trying to take away nation´s independence, first with conscript units, and later with massed artillery and air bombings, it was no surprise that the Finns fought so well.

BTW, Finland was the only country able to repulse Soviet´s so called strategic offensives (1939-40, -44) and was the only Axis country, whose capital city was not invaded by Allied forces.

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 9
- 4/13/2002 1:33:19 PM   
WhiteRook

Hi Mikimoto,

Though I have only played the Finns a little in SPWAW I do not think that they seem over-rated to me. They were very hearty folks and still are.
I will weigh in on the US however, personaly I think a lot of times the US is under-rated in a lot of games!
Granted we did not start the war with a large professional army like many countries across the pond, but after we got geared up the US Army was a force to be taken seriously....
And the US Marines, heck I'd put them up against anybody!
From my own personal standpoint I have always cried about the Japanese, some times you would all most swear that they have an almost "mystical" quality about them! ;)
I think over-all that most of the countries infantry I have experianced so far in SPWAW are modeled pretty darn nicely. :)

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 10
- 4/13/2002 8:16:44 PM   
Penetrator

To put my own opinion in here, I don't think the finns are overrated in the human element. What I do have a problem with are the rarity factors of many finnish unit. They are very generous, and sometimes quite ludicrous.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 11
Re: Another Finn weighing in... - 4/14/2002 1:32:06 AM   
GUTB

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Auslander
[B]The Finns fought fanatically against the Russians- it was a personal issue, fought over many years of animosity against the Russians and their desire to take land from Finland. At every turn they outfoxed the Reds and the only way Russia was able to take a victory was through sheer numbers of force. The Finn forces were elite to a man, especially the ski troops(Sissi). John Keegan calls the Finns the "heartiest and the most war-like of all the European peoples"; the Russians sent mostly conscripts and green infantry into the waiting trap of a lot of very angry, very capable Finns. When it was all said and done, Finland had lost some 25,000 men (percentage-wise, a huge blow to their small population) while the Russians lost over 200,000. [/B][/QUOTE]

You know, in every on-line forum that has anything to do with WW2, you will always find at least one Finn or Pole who immediately jumps up with promclomations about how superior Finns/Poles were to the Evil Red Commies. It's without fail.

For the sake of historic accuracy, Soviet losses for the Winter War is around 70,000.

The Super Genius!

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 12
Re: Re: Another Finn weighing in... - 4/14/2002 1:37:32 AM   
sven

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GUTB
[B]

You know, in every on-line forum that has anything to do with WW2, you will always find at least one Finn or Pole who immediately jumps up with promclomations about how superior Finns/Poles were to the Evil Red Commies. It's without fail.

For the sake of historic accuracy, Soviet losses for the Winter War is around 70,000. [/B][/QUOTE]

uh-huh...

Magic cite books please...?

regards,
sven-not a "supra genius" but able to read too....

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 13
Re: Re: Another Finn weighing in... - 4/14/2002 1:43:34 AM   
JJKettunen

[B]

For the sake of historic accuracy, Soviet losses for the Winter War is around 70,000. [/B][/QUOTE]

Poles!?

For the sake of the historic accuracy, Soviet losses for the Winter War was around 200,000 (can´t remember exact numbers right now). When Soviet Union collapsed and their archives were opened for historical research, this has been proven.

Where did you get that number? From the official Soviet historiography published after the war? They sure are accurate and objective...

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 14
- 4/14/2002 1:49:33 AM   
Yogi Yohan

The Soviets themselves rated the Finnish soldier far above the German. I once read of an ex-Soviet officer commenting that if Barbarossa had been launched by three million Finns instead of Germans, there was no way the USSR could have survived.

I think the Finns vastly deserve an almost superhuman rating, they were THAT good.

It only goes to show that old rule is true, regarding the factors determining the effectiveness of a soldier:

These are, in order of importance:

1) Motivation
2) Training
3) Equipment

Which is why the ill-equipped but well trained Finns defending their home land could rout many times their number of lavishly armed Soviet conscripts, or why for that matter, the poorly trained Soviet grunts finally prevailed against the Wehrmacht landsers. It also gives a hint about the reasons for the outcome of some post WW2 conflicts, like the 6-day war, Vietnam or the Soviet war in Afghanistan.

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 15
Re: Re: Re: Another Finn weighing in... - 4/14/2002 1:59:25 AM   
sven

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Keke
[B]

Poles!?

For the sake of the historic accuracy, Soviet losses for the Winter War was around 200,000 (can´t remember exact numbers right now). When Soviet Union collapsed and their archives were opened for historical research, this has been proven.

Where did you get that number? From the official Soviet historiography published after the war? They sure are accurate and objective... [/B][/QUOTE]

He is yanking cranks...

regards,
sven-who suggests ignoring him until he cites...

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 16
- 4/14/2002 2:01:34 AM   
GUTB

In fact, Soviet forces in the Winter War were horrbily ill-equiped and poorly orginized. It was this experience that led Stalin to the convinction that the Red Army needed to be re-orginized and better armed.

It wasn't until 1944 could Soviet soldeirs enjoy high levels of training, superior weaponry, mechnizations and their vast artillery and aviation advantage. If the Red Army of 1945 fought the Winter War, Finland would have been smashed completely in a matter of weeks or even less.
And another thing too. Finland got off incredibly easy with the Soviets, who missed the treatment the Red Army gave to the Germans during their trimuphant march to Moscow. Way, way to easy.

The Super Genius!

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 17
- 4/14/2002 2:19:24 AM   
Charles2222

The Finns were good for the type of warfare they found themselves in, but there's no way they were likely to exceed the GE accomplishments in the USSR, quite a different form of warfare indeed, should they have had the same numbers. Nobody till the USSR in '43, had any concept of using tanks and aircraft to advance in anything resembling rapid fashion, except the Germans (with the "early" tactics in NAfrica being an isolated British exception). If the Finns got all the German training/tactics, and then remembered their own, they would've combined really good defense with really good offense, but that's a fairy tale force.

You don't take an exceptional force, and realistically, with the kind of training they had, be able to make a case that they would've been a better force for another job, at which another force was already exceptional at it. Nobody thinks the Germans were better at beach invasion than the US, do they? Or would the Finns be better at beach invasions? Of course not, though the soldiers may had been very high quality, even high quality will probably be average at best when taking on a completely different mindset.

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 18
Re: Re: Re: Another Finn weighing in... - 4/14/2002 3:09:21 AM   
Arto

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Keke
[B]
For the sake of the historic accuracy, Soviet losses for the Winter War was around 200,000 (can´t remember exact numbers right now). [/B][/QUOTE]

http://www.winterwar.com/War%27sEnd/casualti.htm

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 19
- 4/14/2002 3:26:08 AM   
JJKettunen

[B]It wasn't until 1944 could Soviet soldeirs enjoy high levels of training, superior weaponry, mechnizations and their vast artillery and aviation advantage. If the Red Army of 1945 fought the Winter War, Finland would have been smashed completely in a matter of weeks or even less.
And another thing too. Finland got off incredibly easy with the Soviets, who missed the treatment the Red Army gave to the Germans during their trimuphant march to Moscow. Way, way to easy. [/B][/QUOTE]

How can one year (1944, 1945) make a such difference? When western allied hit the beaches of Normandy on June 6th 1944, Soviet Union launched it´s "Fourth Strategic Offensive" against Finnish troops at Karelian Isthmus on June 9th, although Stalin had promised to support his western allies against Germany. New world record of artillery amassed /km was made (this was later breaked on the German front) and Guard units of 21st Army (30th Guard Corps) along the other veteran troops hit the Finnish main defensive line with huge air support (Sturmoviks and Petljakovs mainly). Breakthrough was made in three days, and the Finnish Army had to fight retreating battle over ten days and 100km. After the loss of Viipuri (Vyborg) on June 20th Soviets regrouped, and part of it´s breakthrough artillery was sent to the German front, because Operation Bagration was about to begin on June 22nd.

Nevertheless, Soviet´s plans had not been changed: Breakthrough to inner Finland and capture of Helsinki. By this time Finns had brought reinforcements from Syväri front and amassed their artillery against the oncoming assault. Finnish artillery was much smaller in numbers than Russian, but it had one of the most sophisticated sighting and targeting systems (Sven knows something about this), producing accurate and fast responses to any Soviet attacks. When the Soviets started their main assault to the northeast from Viipuri, it created the largest battle of Scandinavian war history. Relentless battle between the villages of Tali and Ihantala raged till 4th of July.

After this, Soviets tried to outflank Finnish forces on every part of the front, but it was hopeless. By mid August 1944 the war changed to trench warfare. After half month of that, Finland got reasonable peace terms.

Well, it became out much more literature than I first thought. Must be this wine I´m drinking. Me likes alcohol... :cool:

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 20
Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Finn weighing in... - 4/14/2002 3:29:51 AM   
JJKettunen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arto
[B]

http://www.winterwar.com/War%27sEnd/casualti.htm [The above table data gives a total death count of 126 875. Krivosheev's study came up with the figure of 264 908 wounded (not including the cases of sickness), thus giving the total number 391 783 Soviet casualties.

/B][/QUOTE]

Thanx.:)

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 21
- 4/14/2002 3:37:41 AM   
peter hellman

Sorry to say, GUTB, I miss your point here. Could you...?

And Keke, saturday night going on, I know what you're talking about:D

"If you want to live in peace, you have to prepare for war" - Adolf Ehrnrooth

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 22
- 4/14/2002 4:53:25 AM   
Yogi Yohan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles_22
[B]The Finns were good for the type of warfare they found themselves in, but there's no way they were likely to exceed the GE accomplishments in the USSR, quite a different form of warfare indeed, should they have had the same numbers. Nobody till the USSR in '43, had any concept of using tanks and aircraft to advance in anything resembling rapid fashion, except the Germans (with the "early" tactics in NAfrica being an isolated British exception). If the Finns got all the German training/tactics, and then remembered their own, they would've combined really good defense with really good offense, but that's a fairy tale force.

You don't take an exceptional force, and realistically, with the kind of training they had, be able to make a case that they would've been a better force for another job, at which another force was already exceptional at it. Nobody thinks the Germans were better at beach invasion than the US, do they? Or would the Finns be better at beach invasions? Of course not, though the soldiers may had been very high quality, even high quality will probably be average at best when taking on a completely different mindset. [/B][/QUOTE]

No argument with that, I only quoted what that Soviet officer had said. While I agree totally with your analysis, it does say something about the impression the Finns caused on their Soviet foes, and THAT in turn tells us a lot of the soldierly qualities of the Finns during WW2.

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 23
- 4/14/2002 5:21:42 AM   
Charles2222

Yogi Yohan: Yeah, but of course the Soviet officer had no idea of the difficulties involved in an basically defensive force becoming offensive. More and more, when I see people come up with hypothetical stuff, it you really weigh it in real world terms, you start seeing how something which sounds reasonable is actually pretty far-fetched.

Today was something of a good example. I heard on a sports broadcast that the Yankees lost today's game because they became 'a little too daring' because a runner got thrown out trying to steal with two outs, with their being down only one run. Really? So, suppose they didn't try to steal, would they still lose? It seems, that people, when they see a situation where somebody "loses", automatically assumes what they did was the wrong thing to do. In other words, they claim with hindsight that what happened lost it, but that's coming at it from the angle that something else would have worked, and, of course, people will usually also follow that by saying "this would have worked". But really, isn't it entirely possible, in some cases even likely, that the some or all alternatives would have failed too?

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 24
Soviet victory - 4/14/2002 6:11:13 AM   
mogami

The Finns did well the first time around. The second time they had no choice but to give in. When refering to the Soviets in Finland remember there were 2 different offensives with completly reversed results.

"It wasn't until 1944 could Soviet soldeirs enjoy high levels of training, superior weaponry, mechnizations and their vast artillery and aviation advantage"

By 1944 the Soviets were veterans of many successfull offensive operations. The Soviet Union never changed its pre-war doctrine, it was not till 43 they were able to employ it successfully all the time. But in limited cases they employed it from first to last
vrs Japan 1939
vrs Finland 2nd try
vrs Germans winter 41/42
vrs Germans Stalingrand counter offensive
vrs Italians winter 42 'Little Saturn'
after Kursk in 43 the Germans never prevented a Soviet Offensive from meeting it's operational goal.

The Soviets were able to make good the loss of the First debacle in Finland the Finns could not make good the cost of their victory.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 25
Anorher drunk Finn babbling... - 4/14/2002 6:52:41 AM   
JJKettunen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles_22
[B]The Finns were good for the type of warfare they found themselves in, but there's no way they were likely to exceed the GE accomplishments in the USSR, quite a different form of warfare indeed, should they have had the same numbers. Nobody till the USSR in '43, had any concept of using tanks and aircraft to advance in anything resembling rapid fashion, except the Germans (with the "early" tactics in NAfrica being an isolated British exception). If the Finns got all the German training/tactics, and then remembered their own, they would've combined really good defense with really good offense, but that's a fairy tale force.

You don't take an exceptional force, and realistically, with the kind of training they had, be able to make a case that they would've been a better force for another job, at which another force was already exceptional at it. Nobody thinks the Germans were better at beach invasion than the US, do they? Or would the Finns be better at beach invasions? Of course not, though the soldiers may had been very high quality, even high quality will probably be average at best when taking on a completely different mindset. [/B][/QUOTE]

I´m back from the local bars and I´ll cut and paste some piece of information I sent to WarfareHQ´s forum couple of days ago, or something....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMHO the Germans were pound for pound the best fighting force of WWII. I'm talking about the major combatants who could field large scale military forces and project them well outside their own borders. Many countries have fine units that are experts at fighting in their own element. The Germans proved they could fight in the steppes, the desert, the mountains, central Europe, etc. The Germans certainly didn't have the best equipment or industrial base. How then did they achieve such remarkable success? Simple. Training and leadership. No doubt about it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was one curious exeption in that German all-around fighting ability during WWII. It was fighting in forested areas. Finnish Army experienced this when fighting together with German divisions in Lappland (northern part of Finland, 1941-44) and finally against them. (1944-45; known as the War of Lappland).

What very often happened was that co-ordinated attacks (usually towards Murmansk rail line) had to be halted when German units were miles behind and sofore exposed Finnish units´ flanks to Russian counter-attacks. Finnish soldiers were amazed by the poor ability of German infantry to scout, move fast and silently, and fight effectively on those vast areas of forests and marshes. German soldiers fe shouted to each other to keep themselves in right direction and that was (and is) a big no-no in forest warfare. It appeared then that German soldiers were suffering some kind of "forest-fright". It was said that when Finnish advanced through forests and stopped when open terrain came, Germans advanced through open terrain and stopped when forests came.

All this was a bit confusing for Finns, because all the training otherwise was based on German doctrines. Guderian, in his memoirs, explained this curiosity by the fact that German landowners were so jealous about their forests, that German Army had absolutely no possibilities to train themselves in woodlands.

:) :( :o :confused:

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 26
Pound for Pound - 4/14/2002 7:53:56 AM   
mogami

"IMHO the Germans were pound for pound the best fighting force of WWII. I'm talking about the major combatants who could field large scale military forces and project them well outside their own borders. Many countries have fine units that are experts at fighting in their own element. The Germans proved they could fight in the steppes, the desert, the mountains, central Europe, etc. The Germans certainly didn't have the best equipment or industrial base. How then did they achieve such remarkable success? Simple. Training and leadership. No doubt about it"

Just on what do you base this remarkable observation. In campaigns where they enjoyed overmatched isolated UN prepared enemies? Or when they fought enemies who were equipped and ready? The great myth of WW2 is the fighting quality of the German Army. If we restrict it to just Panzer/mobile formations I would be more inclined to agree. The avg. German infantry man had no more success then many of his opponents who after being defeated left their homecountry and joined units supplied by the US. German Panzer troops up to 1943 displayed a flair for operations against immobile enemies but after mid 43 their success rate dropped of considerably. Germany suffered defeat astoundingly rapidly if you make DEC 7 1941 your start date. Also they had few victories worth commenting about past this date. They suffered defeats on par with any they had inflicted. The war saw the bulk of their military forces on each front collapse several times. (their recovery after such collapse bears note)
I don't find their period of success that remarkable, much more remarkable is the speed that they lost all their gains once they were unable to war on nations isolated and unready. Their enemies displayed a talent for adapting to combat their style and use it against them with equal skill. Then the real weakness of the German military was revealed. Not enough mobility. The Panzer division numbers were doubled after France but at the cost of reducing their strength by half. After the summer of 41 the Soviet Union built equipped and trained an entire new army that within a year had your vaunted Germans in retreat.
The US entered the war with a brand new army and 18 months later had forced the surrender of over 500k germans. There certainly were German units equal to or better then any but a flat statement refering to pound for pound does not have history to support it. (all IMHO)

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 27
Re: Pound for Pound - 4/14/2002 8:08:54 AM   
JJKettunen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogami
[B]Just on what do you base this remarkable observation. In campaigns where they enjoyed overmatched isolated UN prepared enemies? [/B][/QUOTE]

I´m still awake. :p

That stuff between ----- wasn´t my text. I replied with the text following it.

Otherwise, read more war history (especially from the tactical point of view) before you continue with your "we won it - we were superior in all fields of warfare" piece of crap philosophy.

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 28
Piece of crap philosophy? - 4/14/2002 9:59:15 AM   
mogami

"Otherwise, read more war history (especially from the tactical point of view) before you continue with your "we won it - we were superior in all fields of warfare" piece of crap philosophy"

Hey bud no need to get snippy. I only asked the writer of that comment what he based his rating the Germans pound for pound the best military of WW2 on. If it was not you butt out. I also quite clearly put it was just my opinion if you don't like it thats fine but post an idea why (like I did) Keep your cheesy comments to your self. No doubt your reading material has been mostly written by Germans perhaps? Pound for pound against prepared opponents they do not stack up to where they could be rated the best. They may have had the best single/couple of divisions but then could also be debated. The overall record of the German army in WW2 is not that impressive. once you disregard their opponents from Sept 1 1939 to Dec 7 1941. 1942 saw them advance in Russia while the Soviets rebuilt by the end of that year the Soviets had turned the tables. In North Africa same year same result. I just don't see where they were measurably better then anyone else. I never claimed they were inferiour because we won, I said it because I don't see where they achived anything that their enemies later achived against them.
If it was not your text why are you reponding to my comments I don't see your name in my post. However I wonder how victory can be regarded as anything other then superiorty, to some degree many nations have won wars facing greater odds.

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 29
The next morning... - 4/14/2002 2:48:51 PM   
JJKettunen

My cheesy comment came out of the fact, that the German `landsers´ were the best all around fighters in the world. The point of the view here is tactical, and somewhat operational. Nobody brought the grand strategical point of view until you did. During both World Wars Germans had the strange admicture of tactical brilliance and strategical stupidity.

Here are couple of interesting quotes. The first one is from Niklas Zetterling´s (Swedish historian) book "Normandy 1944: German Military Organization, Combat Power and Organizational Effectiveness", and the other is from review of that book by Bill Stone.

1. It seems that the Allied numerical superiority in Normandy has not been clear to all authors. Indeed some have not even observed it at all. Stephen E. Ambrose has even written:
Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin relied on overwhelming numbers, and to some extent American-supplied equipment, to fight the Wehrmacht. The British and Americans were going to have to rely on their soldiers outfighting Nazi soldiers, because the numbers of troops on the opposing sides were roughly equal.

This is entirely wrong. When Operation Cobra was launched, the Germans had brought to Normandy about 410,000 men in divisions and non-divisional combat units. If this is multiplied by 1.19 [service and support manpower outside German divisions and non-div units] we arrive at approximately 490,000 soldiers. However, until 23 July, casualties amounted to 116,863, while only 10,078 replacements had arrived. This means that no more than 380,000 soldiers remained in Normandy or supported the fighting in Normandy.
On 25 July there were 812,000 US soldiers and 640,000 British in Normandy. This means that the Allies had a 3.8:1 superiority in manpower. This was better than the superiority enjoyed by the Red Army on the Eastern Front. On 1 June 1944 the Soviets pitted 7.25 million men against 2.62 million Germans.

2. There are far too many books blindly praising the superiority of German arms, worshiping every SS commander as though a god of war incarnate, and sometimes linking combat performance to Nazi racial and political ideology. In an environment where that kind of unhealthy fetishism is distressingly popular, it's no wonder that a cadre of writers such as Ambrose and Mansoor and Doubler and Brown might go a bit overboard in attempting to demonstrate the superiority of American combat performance in Europe, and some have even gone so far as to say not only were the Yanks the best in the business, but only a democratic society could produce soldiers of that quality. (That latter assertion, of course, is not far removed from the belief held in some other quarters that only the Soviet system could have produced armies capable of defeating Hitler.) Such polarization can make it difficult to examine the historical foundations and lessons of the campaign with any impartiality. In this contentious arena, however, Niklas Zetterling is a breath of fresh air. With an array of facts and figures, and analysis as relentlessly apolitical as a spreadsheet, he provides a tremendous amount of invaluable information and draws some rational conclusions.
Given this database of units and manpower and tanks and guns and casualties, one point shines through. German soldiers certainly were not supermen, and they were never invincible, but in Normandy they absolutely managed to do more with considerably less than most historians have previously conceded.

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Opinion: Are Finns over-modelled? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI