Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Several questions about game mechanics (mostly naval air & air stuff)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Several questions about game mechanics (mostly naval air & air stuff) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Several questions about game mechanics (mostly naval ai... - 4/7/2008 5:05:29 PM   
Fishbed

Hey people :)

Im playing a PBEM right now, and as a rookie, I have several questions to ask, as I am a little uncertain about the answers.

- Does a Air Combat TF located in a coastal hex lose part of its ability to launch planes because of the geographic settings? Sorry couldn't locate the stuff written about it in the manual... But Im sure I read that already in the past.
- Same question with an Air Combat TF located in a friendly harbor hex, but not being docked.
- If I set up a LRCAP over a friendly task force currently out of range, can I be sure that, the day after, when the TF will be in range, the mission will be flown? For now it is set up this way ("TF CURRENTLY OUT OF RANGE" but the mission objective seems to have been taken into account in the squadron window).

Thanks in advance for helping Mr.rookie

Fish
Post #: 1
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/7/2008 5:08:36 PM   
John Lansford

I believe the answers to your questions are yes, yes, and yes.  I've certainly seen Question #3 happen; designate a TF that is "too far away" but when it gets closer there are planes flying CAP over it.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 2
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/7/2008 5:17:46 PM   
Fishbed

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I believe the answers to your questions are yes, yes, and yes.

Thanks John...
Hum that terribly sucks... It's not like my carriers were sitting on the beach! Anyone has some figures and numbers about the phenomenon please? I'd like to see the real odds so I can take the right decision...

thanks in advance

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 3
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/7/2008 5:30:22 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

quote:

Thanks John...
Hum that terribly sucks... It's not like my carriers were sitting on the beach! Anyone has some figures and numbers about the phenomenon please? I'd like to see the real odds so I can take the right decision...

thanks in advance

I believe it is a 50% reduction in effectiveness..ie...only 50% of the numer of planes that would normally participate in a strike do so in the coastal hex.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 4
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/7/2008 9:04:38 PM   
Fishbed

Thanks Hans!

Any past experience among some PBEMers?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/15/2008 1:23:00 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

quote:

Thanks John...

thanks in advance

In reality, carriers flew their air groups ashore if they were entering harbour. Otherwise they could not fly.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 6
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/15/2008 8:27:31 PM   
Saso

In my PBEM game (Rising Sun) I trasferred the CVL Ryujo from Palau to Takao in the first turn (Auto-disband selected) and I forgot to change the setting of the aircrafts:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Aparri , at 46,49

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 5 (12 A/C, 30% CAP)
B5N Kate x 9 (18 A/C, Nav search level 0)

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate: 1 destroyed

Runway hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B5N Kate bombing at 5000 feet

In the same turn she has been attacked, I think before to enter into port:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Takao at 48,45

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 1
Ki-27 Nate x 4

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x P-26A bombing at 2000 feet

Day Air attack on TF, near Takao at 48,45

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 1

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x P-26A bombing at 2000 feet
4 x P-26A bombing at 2000 feet

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/15/2008 8:33:36 PM   
Feinder

Did anybody ever test whether CVE were immune to the 50% reduction in coastal hexes?  I know there was some discussion back-and-forth on this.  The CVEs were supposed to be able to operate without penalty in order to cover invasion TFs.

Anybody ever test this, or know it to be true or false?  I'm not willing to risk my CVEs to test it, but I'm happy to risk yours... 

-F-

* edit - I was also asking about CVLs, but Ryujo example shows that the CVLs certainly DO take the 50% penalty.

< Message edited by Feinder -- 4/15/2008 8:36:03 PM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Saso)
Post #: 8
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/15/2008 8:56:17 PM   
Saso

quote:

Anybody ever test this, or know it to be true or false?  I'm not willing to risk my CVEs to test it, but I'm happy to risk yours... 

Wait my next forgetfulness

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/15/2008 9:17:51 PM   
Widell

Some more information about planes and the air war: http://witp.kodapa.com/index.php?title=Planes_and_Air_War

(in reply to Saso)
Post #: 10
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/16/2008 12:18:17 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Did anybody ever test whether CVE were immune to the 50% reduction in coastal hexes?  I know there was some discussion back-and-forth on this.  The CVEs were supposed to be able to operate without penalty in order to cover invasion TFs.

-F-

* edit - I was also asking about CVLs, but Ryujo example shows that the CVLs certainly DO take the 50% penalty.

coastal base/beach hexes or nonbase/nonbeach coastal hexes?

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 11
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/16/2008 10:05:28 AM   
tabpub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

quote:

-F-

Friendly base/beach or unfriendly base/beach?

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 12
RE: Several questions about game mechanics (mostly nava... - 4/16/2008 11:10:28 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

quote:

-F-

Friendly base/beach or unfriendly base/beach?

I thought CVEs wouldn´t take the penalty, no matter if at friendly or hostile base... Am I wrong?

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Several questions about game mechanics (mostly naval air & air stuff) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI