Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

'Operational area's' ......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> 'Operational area's' ...... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
'Operational area's' ...... - 4/16/2008 4:57:01 AM   
dgk196

I know the 'maneuver guys' don't like to hear it!

Shouldn't organizations be required to have operational area's? and then the sub-units within the organization also have assigned area's of operation and responsibility!?

The assignment of these, either preplanned, or reassigned as the battle goes on, should reflect the level of capabilities of the various armies.

For example, maybe the less capable incurring a delay of some longer time frame (more turns) designed to reflect a 'slower' chain of command. More capable armies, changed with a quicker progress (less turns) through the chain of command!? In some instances maybe deny changes based on the duration of the scenario.

So, lets say you have a divisional level game. You would have to set the area's of operations for the regiments and support battalions and place the supporting units in the area of the units that they are supporting and that becomes who they can provide support to. So, if you have a 'divisional level' mortar company and you decide to have it support the reserve regiment then it would have to be deployed in that area. Lets say you decide to change from a two forward and one back defense, to a three regiments in line abreast. You would incur the delay of sending new orders to each of the regiments and they would incur whatever delay per organizational level you decide on for each of their subordinate units and so on and so forth.

You could have a standard delay or a variable. To reflect either where the level of 'adequate' command occurs and where the deficient level occurs. You could throw in the 'superior' leader at a specific point (quicker orders), or his opposite the boob with political connections (slower orders, if at all)! Something that has affected armies of the past and of today!

Just trying to inject some C3I into the game!

Dennis

What will he come up with next?

< Message edited by dgk196 -- 4/16/2008 4:58:11 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: 'Operational area's' ...... - 4/16/2008 6:15:35 PM   
countblue

Dennis

A lot if not all of those features you mention are available in "Steel Panthers World at War".
This on is older than EF, WF, Rising sun. So Talonsoft definetly knew about this elements when they designed EF,WF,Rising Sun.

I guess Talonsoft made this game purposely a "TACTICAL" (in capital letters) game.
For the "Maneuver guys".

just my .02 cents
Countblue

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 2
RE: 'Operational area's' ...... - 4/17/2008 2:05:36 AM   
auHobbes37

I think this is covered by the command and control optional rules.

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 3
RE: 'Operational area's' ...... - 4/18/2008 12:56:57 AM   
dgk196

Are you sure? I'm not! Effects of 'command' currently are related to supply, morale recovered and recovery from disruption, I think.

What I mean is the allocation of operational areas and the displacement of the associated units in that command along with any attached (reinforcing) units. Which would effect such things as time delays for attacks on targets by units either directly assigned to and in the operational area vs. those that are not.

The 'speed' of setting up for indirect fire attacks and the 'mobility' of the attacks at times seems a little on the optimistic side. The placement for example of guns which would normally be controlled by say regimental level being assigned to a specific battalion might improve the response time for fire support at that level for that unit! But incur an additional time delay for support of other battalions from when it was directly under regimental control, if at all. Such events may not occur. But, its just a way of introducing planning, as a factor, into a situation!

With the actual chain of command represented and either fixed or variable delays related to issuing orders the larger organizations,while more powerful, take a little longer to 'get going'. Might be worthwhile including in the game!?

Dennis

(in reply to auHobbes37)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> 'Operational area's' ...... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI