Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do you like the sounds in the game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Do you like the sounds in the game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you like the sounds in the game - 4/11/2003 12:49:42 PM   
mandreads

Hello!

Just out of curiosity. Do you have (some/all) sounds enabled in the game?
Post #: 1
- 4/11/2003 1:32:16 PM   
Belisarius

Yup. Can't live without the sounds. I hate the .50 cals. :mad: :D

Got StuG?

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 2
- 4/11/2003 3:46:14 PM   
Voriax

All sounds. Though the background 'battlefield' sounds often vanish..then when I start from a save they are on for a while..then gone after a turn or two.

Voriax

ps. interesting option, that last one...you need a soundcard to make SPWAW work/install in the first place..I guess you could remove the card afterwards :)

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 3
- 4/11/2003 4:48:49 PM   
m10bob

The sounds are an absolute must!!!...A great improvement was made when Panzer Leo offered the great new sounds for the Panther and the Tiger's 88...(When they crack and bark,you KNOW you're in for some s**t!!!!...
Now if you were asking what sounds might be changed,well that's another topic,(but i'd go for the "ker-blam,ker-pow" of the high velocity guns being improved on the M10 and m36,Achilles,etc)..A tired old "bam" just does not make it with anything over 75mm,(imho).....

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 4
- 4/11/2003 5:46:59 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Voriax
[B]All sounds. Though the background 'battlefield' sounds often vanish..then when I start from a save they are on for a while..then gone after a turn or two.

Voriax

ps. interesting option, that last one...you need a soundcard to make SPWAW work/install in the first place..I guess you could remove the card afterwards :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, the background soundtrack cuts out every now and then. I don't think it ever lasts more than 1/2 turn or so. I suspect this is a legacy from the DOS conversion, but that's just me.

Too bad, hope the sounds in CL will make a better contribution. Hello multi-channel support. :)

Got StuG?

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 5
- 4/11/2003 5:50:28 PM   
Jim1954

All sounds are a must (unless of course you are sneaking something pass the corporate entity and get tired of your co-workers funny looks. ) Ah...... the hazards of work.

;)

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 6
Hmmmmm... - 4/11/2003 7:35:07 PM   
Hawk

I like the sounds........they give me a "real" feel of the Game.

=A82A=Hawk[Maj]|LP|
"All we knew was.....We were in this TOGETHER" ......Band of Brothers

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 7
Love the sounds, - 4/11/2003 9:17:17 PM   
challenge

it let's me know something is actually happening. Sometimes they cut out and I don't hear the weapons' fire, just see the results -- very disappointing when that tank gun doesn't go "boom" when you fire.

Some are weird, though. In the h2h Stalingrad campaign my Motorcycle squads sound just like foot soldiers as they move. I picture all these guys running half a kilometer in two minutes while pushing their bikes along.:p

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 8
I only like - 4/11/2003 9:31:32 PM   
Gary Tatro

the FX sounds, don't like the music or the background noise. Besides SPWAW is a RAM pig already.

The sound I hate the most though is the sound of a [SIZE=4]mine[/SIZE] going off. HATE that sound.:D

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 9
- 4/11/2003 9:48:30 PM   
Jim1954

The sound I hate the most though is the sound of a mine going off. HATE that sound.

I'll second that!!!!!

:mad: :( :mad: :eek:

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 10
Wives - 4/12/2003 12:25:23 AM   
acrosome

I think the sounds can be troubling at times. For instance when my wife hears them as she passes my office door she knows I'm not studying. Thus I often play with the sounds off, my monitor turned away from the door, and a stack of papers in front of me. :D

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 11
- 4/12/2003 12:43:36 AM   
Goblin

Sounds ON, soundtrack OFF. I hate the BONG sound that large bore guns, AT mines, and Panzerfaust make. It should be a cool sound, and it isn't.

Goblin

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 12
Favorite sounds & music from SPWaW - 4/12/2003 2:58:44 AM   
KG Erwin

Personally, I really like Derek Boain's main SPWaW theme, and some of the other music. As for weapon sounds, there's something about the FX for the BAR and the M1 Garand that instantly make me identify with the USMC of that era. The generic flamethrower is OK, but I found another one that I put in the SPWaW OOB mods sub-forum. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well in-game because it's something like a 2 MB file. The sound of a tank brewing up (the enemy's, not mine ) is pretty impressive, too.

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 13
- 4/12/2003 3:40:37 AM   
Goblin

I like the music too, but sometimes the repetition of the same music, over and over again, is just a bit much. The theme that plays at the end of a Campaign battle is freakin awesome though! Does anyone know its name?

Goblin

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 14
- 4/12/2003 3:55:44 AM   
Irinami

I like the background music, but not the battlefield noise. Love the weapon sounds. Sadly, my computer is right in my living room, next to my girlfriend's, and she gets fed up with it fast. So I guess that's why I like all the noises...

Except the one Thompson sound that sounds like some kid is shaking a tin can with a couple rocks in it. :rolleyes: :(

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 15
- 4/12/2003 4:08:24 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

What a surprise everyone likes the sounds hehe.

I have even gone so far as to use Win amp and make a custom audio track that loops some of my favs just so I can get Win amp to play a seriously happening firefight "just cause its cool sounding".

Makes a great add on to playing board games hehe.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 16
- 4/12/2003 4:08:35 AM   
Jim1954

One word for you, Irinami: HEADPHONES!

Keeps the domestic bliss in proper balance.

Just leave one ear open and you can even carry on a semi-intelligent conversation with your better half.

:D

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 17
Hey - 4/12/2003 4:56:32 AM   
Gary Tatro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irinami
[B]I like the background music, but not the battlefield noise. Love the weapon sounds. Sadly, my computer is right in my living room, next to my girlfriend's, and she gets fed up with it fast. So I guess that's why I like all the noises...[/B][/QUOTE]
Ya ever hear of head phones, they are great for the non-SPWAW belivers. :D

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 18
- 4/12/2003 5:02:57 AM   
Irinami

Heheh, thanks for the advice... but I can't isolate her like that, even if I DO do the Panzer commander thing with phones on just one ear. She gives me this little pouty look and makes this coo... How can I resist?? :D :D :D

Newbies!!

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 19
- 4/12/2003 6:30:11 AM   
tracer

A quick way to restart the battleFX sounds is to open the 'preferences' screen and then exit out of it.

Jim NSB

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 20
Sounds 668-670 - 4/12/2003 6:37:32 AM   
KG Erwin

Are these for a "Deathmatch:Iditarod"? Dog teams? What OOB uses that? Are these the infamous "mine dogs" that were allegedly used by the Russians? That would be somewhat disconcerting: "Here, boy--" I guess in today's wars they would be called "martyr hounds".

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 21
- 4/12/2003 11:06:22 AM   
WhiteRook

I love the sounds, all except for one partictular mg sound that has been bugging me through several SP games. Its just a bad sounding mg.
I love the music also, but tend to turn it on for a while and then back off again. As the man said the same tunes over and over can wear thin after a while so I found that using the on for a while off for a while works good for me. :)
Sarge - why can I have no problem seeing you making a custom sound track to play though winamp! I have to laugh because I have bantered around the idea myself many times! :D
I really have to pin down the file number of that sick sounding mg one of these days and replace it with a suitable one of my liking.
:) :)

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 22
Artillery barrages and music - 4/12/2003 11:43:24 AM   
KG Erwin

Alright, you guys can call me strange here but if you set artillery sounds "on", and you set the delay at 50, the barrages make their own music. It's not quite the 1812 Overture, but on a battleship prep in a USMC amphib assault mission, it is a bizarre symphony of death all its own. You just have to hear it at that delay to get that peculiar rhythm of crashes and bass--it's quite exhiliarating, and it's very Wagnerian.

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 23
- 4/13/2003 2:46:43 AM   
RockinHarry

Generally I like the sounds, but I also use many non-SPWAW origin sounds, like those that are available as sound mods for the Combat Mission and other games for example. I also use alternate background sounds from other wargames.

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 24
- 4/13/2003 2:51:22 AM   
RockinHarry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteRook
[B]I love the sounds, all except for one partictular mg sound that has been bugging me through several SP games. Its just a bad sounding mg.
I love the music also, but tend to turn it on for a while and then back off again. As the man said the same tunes over and over can wear thin after a while so I found that using the on for a while off for a while works good for me. :)
Sarge - why can I have no problem seeing you making a custom sound track to play though winamp! I have to laugh because I have bantered around the idea myself many times! :D
I really have to pin down the file number of that sick sounding mg one of these days and replace it with a suitable one of my liking.
:) :) [/B][/QUOTE]

I bet it´s the one from soviet DP Degtyarev light MG! :eek: :D I replaced the sounds with the ones that are used for the tank version DP machine gun, like T-34 or KV, ect.

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 25
- 4/13/2003 4:18:00 AM   
Irinami

I like that DP MG. Sounds like some kinky bondage Mistress has been given a machinegun. Budda-budda-Whip-Snap!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Newbies!!

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 26
Sounds right - 4/13/2003 9:45:41 AM   
WhiteRook

Harry I think you are right about the mg - lord that sick sounding puppy just grates on my nerves, well the 2 or 3 I still have left any how! :p

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 27
- 4/13/2003 9:02:12 PM   
RockinHarry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irinami
[B]I like that DP MG. Sounds like some kinky bondage Mistress has been given a machinegun. Budda-budda-Whip-Snap!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D [/B][/QUOTE]

well...if you see it from this point of view...! :D :D

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 28
- 4/14/2003 1:19:34 PM   
Bernie

Anyone remember the thread from about 7 months ago, where someone brought up the topic of Elephants, and it evolved into what would an alt-o (overrun) with Elephants sound like? I know I made up a sound file for that and posted it (I thought it was hilarious) but now I can't find it in my wav files. Anyone have a copy?

What, me worry?

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 29
Re: Hey - 4/14/2003 1:24:27 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Tatro
[B]Ya ever hear of head phones, they are great for the non-SPWAW belivers. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah! The joys of:

a) Being single

b) Having my own place

c) Having my sound card outputted to my 400w stereo system

When my troops set off a mine at 3am cats four blocks away jump. :)

What, me worry?

(in reply to mandreads)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Do you like the sounds in the game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI