Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Learning Curve

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Learning Curve Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Learning Curve - 5/9/2008 9:28:25 PM   
Essro

I am one of the many eagerly anticipating this release. I played the boardgame many years ago before all of the expansions. Currently, it is somewhere boxed away in my garage as I have no room to set it up.

However, I have recently downloaded the current rules from ADG’s website and read it cover to cover. I hope this will reduce any learning curve when this game is released. I would like to get some further experience and practice. I understand there are VASSAL CYBERBOARD kits created. I assume tinkering around with these would help me to understand at least partially how the rules in MWiF might function. Is this a valid assumption?

Furthermore, am I correct in understanding the MWiF will include rules/maps/counters for most of the expansions (not DoD however)?
Post #: 1
RE: Learning Curve - 5/9/2008 10:31:29 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: allsop

I am one of the many eagerly anticipating this release. I played the boardgame many years ago before all of the expansions. Currently, it is somewhere boxed away in my garage as I have no room to set it up.

However, I have recently downloaded the current rules from ADG’s website and read it cover to cover. I hope this will reduce any learning curve when this game is released. I would like to get some further experience and practice. I understand there are VASSAL CYBERBOARD kits created. I assume tinkering around with these would help me to understand at least partially how the rules in MWiF might function. Is this a valid assumption?

Furthermore, am I correct in understanding the MWiF will include rules/maps/counters for most of the expansions (not DoD however)?

MWIF product 1 will have most of the WIF modules. However, it will not include:
pre-1939 modules (e.g. DOD)
post-1945 modules
Leaders in Flames
the new add-ons included in the WIF 2008 Annual.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Essro)
Post #: 2
RE: Learning Curve - 5/10/2008 9:22:18 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: allsop
I understand there are VASSAL CYBERBOARD kits created. I assume tinkering around with these would help me to understand at least partially how the rules in MWiF might function. Is this a valid assumption?

Not if you are alone. You'd need to be in Vassal with a guy who know Vassal and WiF, otherwise you will be lost.

(in reply to Essro)
Post #: 3
RE: Learning Curve - 5/10/2008 4:37:54 PM   
Essro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
Not if you are alone. You'd need to be in Vassal with a guy who know Vassal and WiF, otherwise you will be lost.

VASSAL is easy enough. I have no intention of playing a full game. I merely want to take some counters and move them around a bit. For example, take a handful of naval and air and just familiarize myself with how they move and function, interception, etc.

It was my hope that by doing so I could reaquaint myself with the WiF RAW. Then hopefully when MWiF gets released I will be able to jump in and say "I know what is supposed to happen." If you do not think this is the case, please let me know.

I am a long time gamer. Grognard. WiF is not that complex of a wargame. For gamers it's mostly familiar concepts and fairly intuitive. What made people think WiF was hard was that in an attempt to portray every little WW2 nuance and circumstance they implemented many exceptions to rules. Thus one had to remember a lot of petty exceptions. Non-gamers might have more problems unless the UI is friendly enough to do the “remembering” for them. But I think there are enough non-hardcore gamers who might be pleased to see the first decent WW2 Strategy game after playing those “other” very recent pieces of garbage.

Having said that, I look at some of the UI screenshots and become worried about how this will translate into a computer game. Then there is the EiA fiasco that haunts all future releases of any faithful adaptation of a boardgame.

I truly don’t envy Steve and everyone who has worked on this project. I suspect attempting a lunar landing would be easier than programming the AI for this. So many variations.

Here is my fear about the AI and learning curve. I have no interest whatsoever in playing the AI. AIs are terrible. They always have been and always will for the foreseeable future. I will use it to help understand how things work but that’s about it. So, I will be playing other players. Now, as I see it, mostly novices and folks who are timid will mostly or only play the AI. The more experienced players will want to get the most out of it and thus play each other. Many of these guys have been playing WiF for years. They know every stratagem and how to react. Thus, I am at a serious disadvantage unless I started relearning the rules now.

Anyhow, if MWiF is close enough to the WiF FE RAW, I hope to learn a few things by using VASSAL or CYBERBOARD but I am not sure which one is better.

@Froonp

On a side note, your WiF site is magnificent. About 1 year ago or so I stumbled across it when doing some research for a TOAW III scenario that my brother and I were working on. Your collection of WiF data helped us quite a bit. The scenario was a complete overhaul of TOAW’s Europe Aflame. We added the Pacific theater, almost completely reworked the OOB and TO&E. There are 4,000 units on a split map 300x300 hexes with 999 events. It is fully functional with an abstracted method of production decisions and strategic warfare.

We never released it however. The turns take a very long time. We mostly wanted to see if it could be done with TOAW’s engine, which it can…mostly. Some people say they want to see WW2 modeled at division level and 10-15km hexes. I say to them “No you don’t, trust me.” That TOAW monstrosity we made is corps/division/air wings/individual CV and BBs level at 22km (40km Pacific) and it’s a pain in the arse to play.

Hence, my renewed interest in the inspiration: WiF and soon to be MWiF.----much more manageable.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 4
RE: Learning Curve - 5/11/2008 4:38:46 PM   
Jagdtiger14

MWIF product 1 will have most of the WIF modules. However, it will not include:
pre-1939 modules (e.g. DOD)
post-1945 modules
Leaders in Flames
the new add-ons included in the WIF 2008 Annual.

Will MWIF include the regular military units that come with Leaders in Flames?

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 5
RE: Learning Curve - 5/11/2008 8:22:06 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14
Will MWIF include the regular military units that come with Leaders in Flames?

Yes.
Please note that now (in 2008) this countersheet (CS25) is discontinued by ADG, but all not the leader counters (well nearly all, there is one abandonned IIRC) are reprinted on the CS23 from 2007, and these are included in MWiF.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Learning Curve Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI