Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What if...?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> What if...? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What if...? - 4/30/2008 2:10:33 AM   
cw58

Hi all,

I've been waiting for someone from the pro-encryption camp to ask this question, but if they have, I haven't seen it. I don't want this to come across as a negative post, but if I have to give up convenient modding , I'd like to know that it's for something worthwhile.

But first, some background. As of 1.03, platoon.obx and weapon.pdx files will no longer be moddable first-hand. This was changed to eliminate cheating in PBEM games. This made the PBEM gamers happy. And Jason has generously offered to encrypt those files for anyone in an effort to make the modders happy. (These files, after being modded, must be encrypted to use them.)

And now to the question. Suppose a "cheater" sends platoon.obo and weapon.pdt files to Jason for encryption. And suppose that these files have been modded in a way to give him an advantage against his PBEM nemesis. Are there safeguards in place that would keep him from succeeding? (i.e., using those files in a game against a human opponent).

cw58
Post #: 1
RE: What if...? - 4/30/2008 4:22:14 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: cw58

Hi all,

I've been waiting for someone from the pro-encryption camp to ask this question, but if they have, I haven't seen it. I don't want this to come across as a negative post, but if I have to give up convenient modding , I'd like to know that it's for something worthwhile.

But first, some background. As of 1.03, platoon.obx and weapon.pdx files will no longer be moddable first-hand. This was changed to eliminate cheating in PBEM games. This made the PBEM gamers happy. And Jason has generously offered to encrypt those files for anyone in an effort to make the modders happy. (These files, after being modded, must be encrypted to use them.)

And now to the question. Suppose a "cheater" sends platoon.obo and weapon.pdt files to Jason for encryption. And suppose that these files have been modded in a way to give him an advantage against his PBEM nemesis. Are there safeguards in place that would keep him from succeeding? (i.e., using those files in a game against a human opponent).

cw58

Suppose someone decyphers the encrytion and offers a decryption tool for the masses as was done with the original decryption/encryption tool?

There are safeguards in place from keeping him succeeding.

Jason Petho

(in reply to cw58)
Post #: 2
RE: What if...? - 4/30/2008 4:41:15 AM   
kg_1007

I still am not 100% in agreement on this, either, but also do not see the reason for it to be a problem anyway if the dev team is saying they will encrypt the files if we need it done. A question, though..
I do agree with the first poster that if you want to cheat, basically, you will cheat anyway...if it is truly a problem, it seems that there has to be a way to avoid using the altered files in a pbem game without the other player knowing, and, as I *believe* the first player was trying to, albeit, sneakily, make this point, if such a fail-safe system is in place, then why even need the rules for non-encryption at all? If it still requires a separate system to come in and prevent cheating?
Personally, just in my own few dealings since I purchased, I do believe that anything I need fixed, can be fixed by sending it in, for the record, as I said, I am simply explaining what it seems to me is the first poster's point, and on review, it is a good one.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: What if...? - 4/30/2008 7:19:42 AM   
cw58

quote:

ORIGINAL: kg_1007

I *believe* the first player was trying to, albeit, sneakily, make this point, if such a fail-safe system is in place, then why even need the rules for non-encryption at all?

LOL
Not guilty. I was merely pointing out what I *thought* was an obvious flaw in the whole encryption process, based on the information we've been given. Evidently, there's more to this than meets the eye.

cw58

(in reply to kg_1007)
Post #: 4
RE: What if...? - 5/2/2008 6:00:41 AM   
dgk196

Good point!

If someone wants to cheat, let them! They will be found out and most probably dealt with by the community, each in their own way. I have never tried to 'hack' anything! With what you hear from the media, does anyone actually think they can 'protect' their software?

'HACKERS' have broken into the pentagon, NASA, the world bank, and I'm reasonably sure probably every 'security agency' on the planet! So, whats the point of restricting a 'game'?

I'm not 100% familiar with the concept! But all I would need to know is if the person is using a modified version of any level of upgrade! Some are harmless. I 'upgraded' my graphics and sound files. I don't think this should really give me any significant advantage. But, if I where to play someone and the system reported my changes, I would not feel 'put out' if that person inquired as to what the changes where that I made! Heck, I'd even offer to send the 'changes' to them if they wanted!

Dennis

< Message edited by dgk196 -- 5/2/2008 6:06:58 AM >

(in reply to cw58)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> What if...? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI