Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pitcher Hook

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Pitcher Hook Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pitcher Hook - 5/15/2008 6:53:29 PM   
Wrathchild

Does 'quick hook' mean that the manager will take a pitcher out as soon as he starts doing poorly? I've started to allow my manager to run a few of my games for me, and even though I have the hook setting at the quickest, usually he leaves a pitcher in for the whole game, even if he's giving up run after run. What criteria is used to determine when a pitcher is yanked? I have readily available relievers so I don't know why he's leaving these stinkers in there.

J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)
Post #: 1
RE: Pitcher Hook - 5/16/2008 6:05:04 AM   
GNDN

To me, a quick hook means the manager takes the pitcher out at the first sign of trouble.  If the team is winning big, the pitcher may go deeper.  If the pitcher gets hit around early but does not give up runs, the manager may pull him early in the game.

Make sense?

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues....

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 2
RE: Pitcher Hook - 5/16/2008 3:57:14 PM   
Wrathchild

It does make sense, but then I still don't know why the manager is leaving these losers in the game. 

J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)

(in reply to GNDN)
Post #: 3
RE: Pitcher Hook - 5/18/2008 1:29:01 AM   
KG Erwin

I'd never trust the AI to manage my team. Try "live game managing". I am hooked on it. To do that shows you the headaches involved in handling a team day by day. It's a personal preference, but I don't think you can really get a feel for the sim until you get into the dugout. At least try it for a few games.

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 4
RE: Pitcher Hook - 5/18/2008 3:20:21 AM   
KG Erwin

Gotta add this commentary: in later patches Shaun has adjusted pitcher usage to more closely match historical tendencies. I have a 1947 league in progress, and have had guys staying in with well over 100 pitches, as long as they are not losing. The AI is really not bad at all in handling pitchers, but its default mode is "patient". In the "iron man" era, yeah, that's fine.

(in reply to Wrathchild)
Post #: 5
RE: Pitcher Hook - 5/19/2008 4:31:48 PM   
Wrathchild

That era set up might be part of the issue then. My association is currently in the 1903 season. That's pretty cool if that's the reason for the manager ignoring my settings, and I can live with that. :) As far as managing the games, I do that in 99% of my games, but sometimes I just want to move the season along a little bit faster so I will sim a few here and there. I also like to see once in a while how the manager handles my team, just out of curiosity.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Pitcher Hook Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI