Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My latest AAR this is a goodie.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> My latest AAR this is a goodie. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My latest AAR this is a goodie. - 3/27/2002 9:15:25 AM   
Fallschirmjager

This is a huge battle so Itll take me the next 3 days, ill keep it updated. Hve fun and give me feedback. My thanks to Wild Bill and Drake, this is a truly amazing map.

OMAHA - THE BLOODY ONE

US Army Assault vs. German Defend
Normandy, France, June 6, 1944
Turns: 30

Map Design: Drake
Scenario Design: Wild Bill Wilder

Ok, Ok I know this is the most “popular” of all WW2 battles but I just had to play it. Enjoy.

The scenario does not say which side to play as but I decide to play as the Germans since I figure Ill have a harder chance of pulling out a victory.

Gen. Schmidt heard the radio crackle to life in the next room, he looked up from the book he was reading and looked at the clock. Hmm…5:15 a little early for a report. He looked back down and had almost begun reading when his aide burst into the room. Sir communiqué from Obs post 17-B. They request that you talk with him immediately. The General looked up and frowned, “Cant they talk to you?” he asked. “Umm… No sir they asked for you specifically, Sir he seemed and bit…excited”. The General rolled his eyes. “They are Hungarians they get excited every time a RAF scout buzzes over head”. He sighs “Let me speak to him”.
Obs 17-B: Sir this is Obs 17-B. We have spotted a large Allied armada moving towards us from the Channel sir.

Schmidt: How large?

Obs 17-B: *In an excited yet scared tone* Hundreds of ships sir *In the background* At least 250 at last count.

Schmidt: Your eyes deceive you there is no way, the Allies can muster that many troops. Besides Field, Marshall Rommel said the invasion would not come until at least the end of the month.

Obs 17-B: Sir if you do not believe us then please come and have a look.

Schmidt: *Sighs* Ill be there in twenty minutes.

Gen. Schmidt looks thorough the powerful field glasses on the pedestal. “Hmm…this is definitely the invasion have all batteries and men put on alert and to begin to fortify themselves”, “Ill go and notify HQ”.
As he leaves Gen. Schmidt hears the familiar drone of planes he heard so many times on the Eastern Front before being wounded at Kursk, this time only 100x louder. He turns to his aides and says, “I suggest we find shelter quickly. They duck into an unmanned naval battery right as the bombs begin dropping. They are lightly hit but can hear that the areas behind the beaches are taking a massive pounding. He feels that his area has been spared and begins to make preparations to return to his HQ. All of a sudden, he hears the familiar whine of shells approaching. The sounds become louder and closer until all hell breaks loose. The bunker shakes as it take a direct impact from an 8-inch shell and the Gen. and his men are thrown to the floor. He struggles to his feet and feels as if the whole world is coming apart around him. The bunker takes two direct 5-inch hits and the Gen. is knocked cold.
When he awakens, he is lying face down in a small pool of drying blood. His ears are ringing (they will throughout the day) and are bleeding, he also has a massive headache. He checks his men and himself and finds that except for a few concussions and broken teeth all are ok.
They make their way back to HQ and find things in disarray. Col. Schwartz who took temporary command runs to the Gen. and says, “Sir it is nice to see you alive, we feared you dead”. “My dear Col. these Yankees and Tommies offer far less firepower than the Bolsheviks could muster”. “What is the situation?” the Gen. asks. “About fifty of our wounded have been put in a makeshift hospital until transport to the rear can be arranged”, “all batteries in our area have been notified”. “Excellent, has HQ been notified?”. “Uh our communication with HQ has been cut off, we are attempting to get it back”. “Very well then” he looks at the Col. “Cheer up this beach is well fortified and the men under us are all veterans, if the Allies come ashore here it will be a bloodbath”. The Col. gives a weak smile “let’s hope so sir.
7:45. Down on the beach 2nd Lt. Weiss has finally gotten all his men collected and the area around his bunker cleaned up. He looks out to sea and sees hundreds of black dots inching ever closer. He looks to his men as they collect 7.92mm rounds as well as 75mm for the Pak/40 gun. He looks at the young men, already veterans, but wounded on the Eastern front and sent to France, under his command. He helps load up the Pak gun before smashing a new belt into his MG-34. “Get ready men…this is the day remember what we’ve practiced and these people we will drive these people off the beach".
Weiss looks at the surf churning below as the first assault boats begin unloading their men. Suddenly dozens of machine guns, ATG guns, rifles and artillery pieces are thrown into the battle. Before the end of the day, the surf he is looking at will be running red against the beach. He frowns one last time and opens up with his MG-34.

Pregame: The battle opens with the Germans immediately firing on American assault craft. I hit them dozens of times with 75mm and naval gunfire but not a single one sinks. They also move amphibious tanks up on the shore I also hit these without any success. The boats hit the swallow water and vomit the invaders upon my shore; these begin to take massive causalities. My murderous machine gun and ATG fire decimates their ranks and pins several groups down. The smoke from the naval bombardment is beginning to clear and soon ill have a clear field of fire to rip gaps in the American lines. My plan is simple Ill keep all my forces stagnant unless a breach is about to be ripped in my lines in which case Ill tale the few half-tracks I have an rush Infantry to the place of breakage. My main targets are tanks and engineers as these will be the greatest threats to my bunkers.

Turn 1: The Allies land hundreds of men on the shore. Backed up by tanks and even a destroyer (how the hell do they expect me to kill that?). I continue to pour machine gun and ATG fire on the beaches. For their part, the Americans trudge up the beaches to their objectives. The battle is just beginning and if I can somehow inflict enough casualties on their force, maybe I can force a morale breakdown and can win.

Turn 2: The impressive American artillery comes into play this turn. The worst being a damned “Fork Tailed Devil” that took one of my AT Pillboxes. The Americans also use 8-inch naval fire and 60mm mortars to try and breakup their defenses. I destroy a good deal of the DD tanks but they land a dozen more Shermans to provide fire support. The battle has become whether or not I can kill enough of the enemy before they overrun and destroy my positions. My 81mm mortars and 105 and 150 FH cannons come into play and tear large gaps in the Allied lines and suppress dozens more.

Turn 3: It was a productive turn I destroyed a half dozen landing craft and the men in them. The Americans now have a strong hold on the beach. I have been unable to sweep them off so far because of the large influx of reinforcements. I hope that they will waste themselves away on futile attack in my bunkers.

Turn 4: More of the same. Artillery is tearing up the Americans and suppressing my Bunkers. New landings have seemed to have stopped for at least the moment. DUKWs have made there way ashore and I had better stop them before they drop there cargo inland. I need to take advantage of the lull to destroy as much as I can before the landings resume. I really hate P-38s…

Turn 5: The situation escalates a little as the Allies begin to reach the shingle. Those still out on the beaches are having their ranks thinned out by the thousands of rounds of MG fire I am pouring at them. Some ranger and a few rifle squads find gaps in the shingle and move beyond them but are hit with MG fire. The tanks are pressing on for a gap to better get at my bunkers. Once they get near the shingle the Americans are almost impossible to hit, so Ill need to hit them before they get there and hard once they leave it. Further landings have been halted for the last few turns, but that wont last.

Post #: 1
- 3/28/2002 1:27:07 AM   
Capt Chris

Ever think about becoming a writer?

Capt Chris

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 2
- 3/28/2002 7:23:04 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Ill leave that up to people that can actually write.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> My latest AAR this is a goodie. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI