Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Too much night visits !

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Too much night visits ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Too much night visits ! - 6/3/2008 3:27:21 PM   
Micke II

In a PBEM game, playing the Japanese side, 1 or 2 of my air bases are receiving almost every turn night visitors. (Rangoon, Mandalay)
Allies bombers flying at a very low altitude, between 3 to 5000 feet, are destroying on soil, at every raid, between 5 to 10 planes but without losses for the pilots.
I have reinforced flak, put on CAP night fighters, but also Tojo and Tony for almost no results: 5 bombers destroyed in 1 month and a dozen damaged for 10 of my fighters destroyed in air to air fight. During night turn, bombers seem even more effective against Japanese fighters that during day air phase.
I move my planes to another bases but it’s very easy to detect where they are based and after 1 day the bombers are coming to shoot the new base.
Is there a mean to fight efficiently against this tactic or does the simulation overestimate the effect of night bombing?
Post #: 1
RE: Too much night visits ! - 6/3/2008 3:40:18 PM   
wild_Willie2

In stock games, land based flak is virtually useless. I even went so far as to pull EVERY AA unit out of China and into Rangoon to see if I could stop allied bombers using FLAK alone. Even 13 AA units plus the AA of numerous baseforces firing all at 50+ allied bombers at 15K hardly scratched them....

Also, night fighters are broken in the game and you might as well use them as daylight fighters.... 

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Micke II)
Post #: 2
RE: Too much night visits ! - 6/3/2008 3:57:53 PM   
tigercub

There is a big list of broken stuff in this game...come on AE, maybe after a few months after it comes out i may get to play a real WARGAME insted of just a GAME.(yes i do know all the work it takes to make such a large complex program and a pat on the back is in order)i did think we had it when WITP came out but no.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 3
RE: Too much night visits ! - 6/3/2008 4:22:29 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

There is a big list of broken stuff in this game...come on AE, maybe after a few months after it comes out i may get to play a real WARGAME insted of just a GAME.(yes i do know all the work it takes to make such a large complex program and a pat on the back is in order)i did think we had it when WITP came out but no.

Well, flak is deadly in CHS/Nikmod - maybe not quite as deadly as in the actual war*, but it comes close.

The Stock game is weighted to make bombers "exciting" - with lots of bomb hits (but each hit is less effective).

*(where it caused ~50% of combat losses overall)

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 4
RE: Too much night visits ! - 6/3/2008 4:59:26 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

In stock games, land based flak is virtually useless. I even went so far as to pull EVERY AA unit out of China and into Rangoon to see if I could stop allied bombers using FLAK alone. Even 13 AA units plus the AA of numerous baseforces firing all at 50+ allied bombers at 15K hardly scratched them....

Also, night fighters are broken in the game and you might as well use them as daylight fighters.... 

The target of a night raid was a city; the target of a day raid was a factory. That should give you an idea of the relative accuracy. If the game were accurate, you wouldn't need to worry about the weakness of night AA and night fighting.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 5
RE: Too much night visits ! - 6/3/2008 5:09:57 PM   
String

This is why most players use a house rule that limits night attacks to only city and naval attacks. Sometimes these limitations don't apply to night capable (night fighter) units.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Too much night visits ! - 6/3/2008 5:11:48 PM   
Micke II

Thanks for your answers.

If I understand the only way to dealwith this problem is to agree on a house rule to allow night bombing only on city targets.
But we have not defined this rule before to start the game. So I have to live with that.

Is the japanese night bombing so effective as the allied one ? I have the impression it's less effective.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Too much night visits ! - 6/3/2008 5:28:42 PM   
wild_Willie2

The japanes bombing is LESS effective because your "little" 2 engined bombers cant match bombloads with the allied 4e heavies...

Jap bombers have 2000lbs bombload on normal range, allied B24's have a 5000lbs bombload...

Explain your problem to your PBEM partner and suggest to compromise on a night bombing altitude rule of 15000 feet or above in order to compensate for your lack to combat this threat.... This way he can keep up his night bombing, but at a more realistic decreased effectivity..

If he is reasonable, he should agree....

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Micke II)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Too much night visits ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI