Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some Operational Data

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Some Operational Data Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Operational Data - 5/8/2008 12:19:51 PM   
herwin

The sweep rate of WWII submarines on patrol was 6000 square miles per day (about two hexes/day). That is, a sub would detect the ships in that much area per day. One ship of eight was sunk on the average. The density of shipping in Japanese rear areas was about one merchant vessel per 1000 square miles (3 ships per hex). Subs spent about one third of their time in their patrol area. You can work out that they could be expected to spot 60 ships and sink 7.5 ships per operational month.

Long range patrol aircraft averaged about 80 hours in the air per month, half in their patrol area. The sweep rate was 500 square miles per hour (about six hours per hex) for merchant vessels (lower for subs), working out to 20 ships detected per month (27 hexes per month, half in the patrol area). With adequate equipment and training, a patrol aircraft sank about one ship in 40 sighted, or about 0.5 ships per operational month.

Hence, a submarine was equivalent to 15 long range patrol aircraft for sinking ships and to 3 long range patrol aircraft for detecting ships.

Source: Morse and Kimball.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Post #: 1
RE: Some Operational Data - 5/29/2008 9:53:00 AM   
Pascal_slith

Do you mean Morse and Kimball's "Methods of Operations Research"?

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Some Operational Data - 5/29/2008 11:20:20 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pascal

Do you mean Morse and Kimball's "Methods of Operations Research"?

Yes, the American edition.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Pascal_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Some Operational Data - 5/30/2008 7:49:15 AM   
Pascal_slith

Thanks!

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Some Operational Data - 6/1/2008 6:30:58 PM   
Grotius

Off-topic: Herwin, will we be able to persuade you to make an AI mod once AE ships?

(in reply to Pascal_slith)
Post #: 5
RE: Some Operational Data - 6/1/2008 11:29:03 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Off-topic: Herwin, will we be able to persuade you to make an AI mod once AE ships?

Quite possibly.

Depends on how much work is involved and whether I can convince some MSc students to work on parts of it for their projects.

We might be able to get a research grant. Figure about $150,000 for three years of PhD-level work on it. If the market recovers a bit, I might be able to afford it myself.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Some Operational Data Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI