Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Op fire routines

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Op fire routines Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Op fire routines - 6/25/2003 10:57:40 AM   
Kokoda

On the theme..."Don't shoot Mr Sniper", I could do with some help on op-fire.

Is there a way to stop your amushing AT gun firing at infantry which come in range? If I place my AT for AFV, I find it very irritating that I can't tell them not to fire at infantry passing thier front. This gives away their position to enemy that are quite capable of eliminating a few guys with an AT gun.

Similarly, the MG that would be very useful firing on squads of infantry passing, are useless if they fire on heavily armoured AFVs.

Have I missed something? Is there a way of getting the chaps to 'fire at the right thing" :confused:

CHRIS
Post #: 1
- 6/25/2003 12:23:12 PM   
chief

Kokoda: When playing against the AI in ver 7.1 I set weapons range to "0", it should not fire unless you want it to. If its spotted you can return fire without changing the range, assumming target is in it's normal range, or if you decide you want to fire do so, same parameters as above. REMEMBER to reset to "0" after firing or you'll be back to normal range automatically.

Now after making this statement I can honestly say that I don't think it works quite like above against human opponent in PBEM.

I thought it did and Viking 2 handed me my butt on a platter.
Right JJ ????:( :mad: :eek: :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 2
"Thanks Chief"...Calls for Cone of Silence... - 6/25/2003 3:27:13 PM   
Kokoda

...so I can get some secret advice.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear - must be that d*mned Cone!

I routinely do set op fire to 0 for many situations, and I've just discovered that for greater control you can turn the weapons off. ( See the "Mr Sniper" thread).

I would like to see an op fire routine that [B]allows[/B] an AT gun to take its opfires against suitable target, ie AFVs, but NOT fire at infantry that crosses it's line of sight. "Save your shots for the tanks, chaps, and don't draw attention to yourselves." Is there any way of doing this?

Is this why H2H is recommended? It can do this? I could convert.

CHRIS

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 3
- 6/25/2003 4:41:44 PM   
Sonni

In the preferences screen you can choose for an op fire confirm. You can set the time for how long it offers you to op fire, and you can then choose if you do or do not want to opfire on the given target. I used this setting before, but it made playing against the AI too easy, so I changed the setting back to 0 (no op fire confirm)

Hope this helps

- Sonni -

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 4
- 6/25/2003 4:50:22 PM   
Klinkenhoffen

Kokoda,

I think that it is a limitation of the game that cannot be overcome. I havn't found a way so you can choose not to op fire at infantry or armour with certain units.

klinkenhoffen

It's all gone horribly wrong !

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 5
Thanks Klink and Sonni - 6/25/2003 7:50:26 PM   
Kokoda

Op fire confirm is great vs AI, but AFAIK can't be used in PMEB. :(

I find there's a problem with Op fire confirm. If the are are several overwatching units you have opportunity fire possible from all. But if you reject the first op fire offered, you are not offered the other chances. If you accept it, you may get the other op fire opportunities.

For example, you are offered a shot by an AT gun at infantry. You reject it. You are not then offered a shot by the MG, which would be very effective.

And vice versa, you are offered a shot at the tank presenting its side. The first op fire is the MG. You reject it. You are then not offered a shot by the AT gun. I'd like to see all op fire chances available, and select which units to fire.

Ah well, I ask too much, it seems. I would have thought the programming not too difficult, since the game compares target and weapon type all the time.

CHRIS

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 6
Re: Thanks Klink and Sonni - 6/25/2003 8:39:13 PM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kokoda
[B]Op fire confirm is great vs AI, but AFAIK can't be used in PMEB. :(

I find there's a problem with Op fire confirm. If the are are several overwatching units you have opportunity fire possible from all. But if you reject the first op fire offered, you are not offered the other chances. If you accept it, you may get the other op fire opportunities.

For example, you are offered a shot by an AT gun at infantry. You reject it. You are not then offered a shot by the MG, which would be very effective.

And vice versa, you are offered a shot at the tank presenting its side. The first op fire is the MG. You reject it. You are then not offered a shot by the AT gun. I'd like to see all op fire chances available, and select which units to fire.

Ah well, I ask too much, it seems. I would have thought the programming not too difficult, since the game compares target and weapon type all the time. [/B][/QUOTE]

a little meu would be cool, where you select the type of ammo the gun should use with opp fire. if you select AP only targets with armor woul dbe shot on.

i generally don´t use the opp fire confirm any more. in campaigns it´s too time consuming and i´m used from PBM games to not use it, it´s a better training with opp. fire confirm disabled for PBM games, which are along with classic campaigns like stalingrad or russian steel the most challenging ways of playing SPWAW.

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 7
- 6/25/2003 10:48:58 PM   
Irinami

A/T rifles may be "told not to fire at infantry" by turning off their secondary armaments. As long as their A/T rifle only has AP rounds, he shouldn't fire at soft targets.

And... er... yer dead wrong. With opfire, if you have an MG and an AT Gun in range of an enemy unit, you may be given the option for the AT Gun to fire. Whether you choose yes or no, there is a chance that the MG will opfire... but it's not guaranteed. You can say no to one weapon and yes to the next.

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 8
- 6/25/2003 11:32:55 PM   
Vathailos

Well…

I’m going to make a suggestion in-line with what Irinami just brought up, as a weak workaround for your problem.

Brit 2-lb’ers don’t have that OP problem IIRC, only because they don’t have HE rounds. But now that I think about it, I do think that there has been a time or two where they have OP-fired with their rifles. Would it be worth it to actually go into the “code” and take out their rifles? Or better yet, change them to pistols. Some British vehicles have .38 cal weapons (which I’m assuming are pistols) that only fire at one hex ranges or less.

You’d have to edit the HE out of all AT gun profiles that you wanted to be “pure” AT, but if you left them with just AP, and switched them from rifle/SMG secondary weapons to pistols, wouldn’t that be a solution to the AT OP-fire problem?

Thoughts folks? Too much trouble for an OOB to switch rifles to pistols on all solely AT guns?

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 9
- 6/26/2003 12:16:12 AM   
rbrunsman

You can turn off your secondary weapons (your primary weapons too for that matter) in the game. That's alot easier than changing the OOBs. Plus they're available in your turn if you really need them.

Op Fire range management is a big part of the game. If you set it too long or too short and never change it, you can really hurt yourself. Ambushes are most effective on your turn, so you should set the op fire very low. That way your opponent can't react to your ambush with smoke or lots of suppressive fire on you hidden AT guns. Of course, a whole column of targets could drive right past your line of fire if you don't have op fire set long enough. You just have to balance it for yourself.

I change op fire ranges almost every turn depending on how the situation is developing.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 10
Thanks Irinami - 6/26/2003 8:14:18 AM   
Kokoda

Turning off the secondary weapons sounds good. I shall try this.

It may be that the times I've observed the lack of op fires from all overwatching elements is because some may have fired too much in my turn. that is, the units do not have enough op fire possibilities. I'll check more carefully...

CHRIS

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Op fire routines Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI