Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Searching for a game like...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Searching for a game like... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Searching for a game like... - 7/16/2008 1:42:21 AM   
Sarganto

I've been playing Paradox-Games like Hearts of Iron 2, Victoria and Europa Universalis for some years and I've found out about the Matrix Games like half a year ago, mainly War in the Pacific.

I love the concepts of WitP and Hearts of Iron 2, but both are lacking in one or another point. Hearts of Iron 2 has production, diplomacy, resources you go after, instead of victory points and so on. WitP has all the detail, you can micromanage everything, but then, your game is in a way or another always the same. You have that fix scenario and your reinforcements are always the same. It's not, like you can build up something. (let's not fight about jap.production).

So what I am searching is a mix of Hearts of Iron 2 and WitP. Where you can build up something and then fight wars, but at least with nearly the details as in WitP. Or you can build up your armies and then fight the single battle like in Panzer General (or Steel Panthers I guess would be a similar Matrix Game).

Maybe you have any ideas? I already tried stuff like Supreme Ruler 2020 and Superpower 2, but these games are REALLY far from perfect, with bugs, missing features and so on.

empty signature fanboy
Post #: 1
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/16/2008 6:12:03 PM   
Sarganto

No ideas? :(

empty signature fanboy

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 2
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/16/2008 7:08:24 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarganto
No ideas? :(

What you ask for is a micromanagement empire-building game - apart from War in the Pacific and the stuff put out by Paradox AFAIK there's nothing coming even close to your "perfect game".

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 3
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/16/2008 10:53:45 PM   
planner 3

A auto Racing Game based on the AH "Le Mans" board game.

A Railroad game based on AH "Dispatcher" board game.

both of the above have a very good I-go-U-go possibility.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 4
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/17/2008 12:30:07 AM   
Gem35

Check out Crown of Glory or Forge of Freedom.
They are great change of pace games when you get tired of WWII.
They have elements of empire building and plenty of micro-management.
Plus!, everyone's favorite Mod Gil is there too.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 5
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/17/2008 2:46:46 AM   
Veldor

quote:

I've been playing Paradox-Games like Hearts of Iron 2, Victoria and Europa Universalis for some years and I've found out about the Matrix Games like half a year ago, mainly War in the Pacific.

I love the concepts of WitP and Hearts of Iron 2, but both are lacking in one or another point. Hearts of Iron 2 has production, diplomacy, resources you go after, instead of victory points and so on. WitP has all the detail, you can micromanage everything, but then, your game is in a way or another always the same. You have that fix scenario and your reinforcements are always the same. It's not, like you can build up something. (let's not fight about jap.production).

So what I am searching is a mix of Hearts of Iron 2 and WitP. Where you can build up something and then fight wars, but at least with nearly the details as in WitP. Or you can build up your armies and then fight the single battle like in Panzer General (or Steel Panthers I guess would be a similar Matrix Game).

Maybe you have any ideas? I already tried stuff like Supreme Ruler 2020 and Superpower 2, but these games are REALLY far from perfect, with bugs, missing features and so on.

I might be missing something here but it sounds like you just perfectly described one of my all time favorite Matrix Games... Advanced Tactics!

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 6
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/17/2008 6:54:33 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

quote:

I might be missing something here but it sounds like you just perfectly described one of my all time favorite Matrix Games... Advanced Tactics!

Description seems to fit also for Civilization serie and the likes (Colonization, Freeciv, etc.). If you don't have allergy for sci-fi, then check out Galactic Civilizations, UFO and X-COM series.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 7
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/18/2008 12:07:14 AM   
Sarganto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

Description seems to fit also for Civilization serie and the likes (Colonization, Freeciv, etc.). If you don't have allergy for sci-fi, then check out Galactic Civilizations, UFO and X-COM series.

I've already spent too much time playing Civ 2, like one year plain playtime >_< (I guess, might be rexaggerated ;) )
Is Galactic Civilizations like MoO2 or comparable to something else?

empty signature fanboy

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 8
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/18/2008 1:50:55 AM   
Gem35

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

I've already spent too much time playing Civ 2, like one year plain playtime >_< (I guess, might be rexaggerated ;) )
Is Galactic Civilizations like MoO2 or comparable to something else?

Galactic Civs is alot like Civ games, just in space.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 9
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/18/2008 2:41:22 AM   
Sarganto

Ok, I'll take a look at Gal Civ. Is there a huge difference between 1 and 2? Which one is better? As far as I know, the new one is not always the best (for example Civ 2 beats everything, and MoO2 beats MoO3...).

I've also sneaked into the Advanced Tactics forums and read some AARs. Looks nice, but I don't know...it looks rather "simple" to me. Not only the graphics (as if I give a damn), but also the war system. Don't know if I would like that. Is there any way, to try that game first? Like a demo or trialversion?

empty signature fanboy

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 10
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/18/2008 2:46:15 AM   
Gem35

Gal civ 2 is the shiat.

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 11
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/18/2008 2:59:26 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I've also sneaked into the Advanced Tactics forums and read some AARs. Looks nice, but I don't know...it looks rather "simple" to me. Not only the graphics (as if I give a damn), but also the war system. Don't know if I would like that. Is there any way, to try that game first? Like a demo or trialversion?

Advanced Tactics is well worth your time. It's a surprisingly elegant simulation of warfare, though you might not expect it at first blush.

As far as space sims, Gal Civ is great, but also give Sword of the Stars a try.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 12
RE: Searching for a game like... - 7/18/2008 4:17:44 AM   
Veldor

quote:

Ok, I'll take a look at Gal Civ. Is there a huge difference between 1 and 2? Which one is better? As far as I know, the new one is not always the best (for example Civ 2 beats everything, and MoO2 beats MoO3...).

With many games people love them or hate them but I dare say no one hates Advanced Tactics . You may love it or you may just think its good but it is plenty deeper than it would appear. Hoards of units and enough micromanagement to please any hardcore Civ fan and then some. Its definitely a wargame with supply and logistics and such. So much more hardcore than many other titles even if still very light compared to WiTP.

I think the main criticism is really around historical accuracies. Since the game is so streamlined, replayable, etc. some things were a bit too randomized and ahistorical for a few (like unit and city names etc). Personally Im all about gameplay and in recent history I've found no wargame more playable or replayable than Advanced Tactics.

I am also a big fan of GalCiv2. You definitely want the second one and it has quite a few sequels I've yet to buy. I've meant to pick them up and also to replay GalCiv2 some but I tend to abadon games in favor of new ones since my interests are so varied.

Advanced Tactics wins for me over GalCiv2 just barely because its one of a very very few titles I have and would continue to go back to and play again. I find both the solo and non-solo play both satisfying.

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Searching for a game like... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI