Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Really winding me up now!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Really winding me up now! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Really winding me up now! - 8/1/2008 8:48:21 PM   
JudgeDredd

Windows XP is going through a phase of winding me up.

I have folders on my desktop, one for each genre of game (FPS, Simulation, Strategy). I have them neatly organised...not alphabetically, but modern strategy grouped together (shortcut to game with manual), then WWI, then WWI, then other strategy...same in the other folders.

Windows XP, for some unknown and bizarre reason, has recently taken to defaulting these folders (and maybe others) to Auto Arrange AND List view, rather than what I have is Align to Grid and icon view! Which completely screws up my system!

And it's really grating me now!

And no...I do not have Auto Arrange on these folders, nor do I accidentally put it on.

I did think it was linked to rebooting abnormally, but it's not...it's very, very random and very, very annoying.

In the grand scheme of life, it's nothing...I realise this...never the less, it's just one other thing getting on my back at the moment!
Post #: 1
RE: Really winding me up now! - 8/2/2008 12:09:31 AM   
Valkyrie

I experienced that problem when running certain games that changed my desktop resolution. When I exited my icons were all scrambled. That may be what is causing your problem... does it happen after exiting a game?

One solution (if you have an ATI graphics card) is to go to the Omega Drivers site and download his Catalyst drivers that include something very useful called "ATI Tray Tools" which is a marvelous utility for adjusting video setting and all kinds of stuff. Specifically, you can save the icon locations on your desktop for as many separate screen resolutions as you may like and then can restore those icon settings instantly if they do get screwed up and rearranged somehow. That would be an easy fix to your problem.

Now Omega also supports Nvidia cards, but I don't see a similar utility included in those downloads.

There may also be freeware out there that allows you to save icon positions and restore them. I would look into that option also.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it is to have a neatly organized desktop go wacko on you!

Oh yea... here's another suggestion for desktop organization. I take a photograph that I want to use for the desktop image and then Photoshop it to add colored bands on each side of the image. On the left side, I place standard icons for frequently used folders with startups grouped into "Games" "Utilities" "Web Design" "DVD Tools" and so forth. I also have shortcuts to each of my drives (I have four) and to certain heavily used folders buried elsewhere around my system. On the right band I place temporary files that I am working with.

The advantage of this is that I can SEE the icons and still have a complex graphic or photo up on the screen. I've thought about doing the same thing to create permanent windows on the graphic to further organize things.. like a place for startup icons of games currently being played or major current projects and so forth.

Signature? Maybe someday over the rainbow.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Really winding me up now! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI