Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Question About MCNA & Scoring

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> A Question About MCNA & Scoring Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Question About MCNA & Scoring - 4/7/2002 8:14:08 AM   
John David

I just completed the 6th battle in the MCNA campaign.
I took all the hexes by turn 18 of 20, yet the battle kept going on.
After turn 20, the score came up as a draw; I had over 2000 more points then the British.

I did not have any great number of unit losses, not even as much as some other battles were I won decisively'

One thing I noticed at the top of the map was a German flag and the words German exit near it. Was I supposed to exit any units at this point on the map to qualify for a decisive victory? Some one like the commanding officer unit?

I don't remember seeing anything in the mission briefing telling me to exit any, or a specific unit off the map as part of the mission requirements.

If anyone has seen this before in this campaign or any other scenario, please let me know, as I am baffled why I didn't get a decisive win:confused:

Thanks

John

The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

Post #: 1
MCNA Battle Name - 4/7/2002 8:16:24 AM   
John David

I wanted to mention above, that the name of the battle in MCNA that I am refering to is "A Different Way".

John

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 2
- 4/7/2002 8:40:57 AM   
Alexandra

Firstly, victory is determined by a point ratio. You need, I think 3-1 for a MV, 6-1 for a DV.

So, if your score was 4000 to 2000,you'd have 2000 more than the British, but not 3 to 1.

Second, yes, you can exit units via exit hexes - and they are not the same as a retreat hex.

If a unit moves onto it's side retreat hex, it immediately leaves the battle, which you may or may not already know.

If you move a unit onto an Exit Victory Hex, then, at the end of the turn it leaves the battle and you get points based on what kind of unit it is. I always unload anything carried, as well, to make sure I get the points for it.

Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 3
- 4/7/2002 8:51:46 AM   
Supervisor

SPWaW Victory Ratios explained
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Human vs computer
More than 1-3 Decisive Loss
1-3 to 3-1 Draw
3-1 to 7-1 Minor victory
7-1 Higher Major victory

The odds vs human player are a little lower. This is due to the predictable action of the AI in computer generated battles.

Human vs. Human
More than 1-2 Decisive Loss
1-2 to 2-1 Draw
2-1 to 6-1 Minor victory
6-1 Higher Major victory

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 4
Scoring - 4/7/2002 9:05:21 AM   
John David

Thanks for the info, but I already know about the scoring ratio.

What I wanted to know is why the score was what it was.

Again, all the victory hexes were taken, by turn 18/20. I also did not have any more unit losses then normal in a decisive win.

What I think cost me points, and what gave the British the majority of theirs is that I might have had to exit a or a number of units from the map at the spot marked "German Exit".
I don't remember seeing anything in the mission briefing about having to do this, so I didn't exit any units.

If I had to do this, that would be the only way the score would have made sense, otherwiswe, I accomplished everything I normally do in a decisive win.

If someone is familliar with this scenario from MCNA, please let me know if I missed something in the briefing indicating that part of the mission was to exit a unit(s) at the end of the battle.

Thanks again

John

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 5
- 4/7/2002 9:13:03 AM   
ZoomBoy27

Are some of the Victory Hexes XX pts per turn?

ZoomBoy

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 6
Don't Know - 4/7/2002 9:27:56 AM   
John David

ZoomBoy27,

I did not look for the points on the hexes to see if it was on a turn basis. I usually look before I start the battle.

Since I have completed it, I can't go back to find out.

John

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 7
- 4/7/2002 10:14:58 AM   
AlvinS

Also I think that the number and type of your units that are destroyed while taking the objectives count against your score.

You may take all of the objectives, but if you spill alot of blood doing it your victory level will be less.

Whenever a designer includes an exit objective in a scenario it is usually important to get as many units as possible out in one piece in addition to completing the other objectives. The "Get That Train" scenario, that is one of the options at the beginning of MCNA ,is a good example of the use of exit objectives.
Blow up the train and get out.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 8
- 4/7/2002 10:48:01 AM   
John David

AlvinS.

Thanks for the info on the exiting of units.

The more I think about it, the more that this must have been the case, but I don't remember being briefed about it at the start of the scenario orders.

Again, as I stated in my above posts, I did not loose very many units, no more then usual, and certainly not any important units of consequence or importance.

It must have been because I did not exit any units.

In a situation like this, how many units are you supposed to try and exit from the map? Do the scenario or campaign battle noted in either MC or solitaire play tell you how many or which units to exit.

In this case, it might have been that I should have tried to exit my core force, but again, I don't remember seeing anything about exiting units in the mission briefing.

I will look for more responses to this thread, so keep them coming folks!:D

John

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 9
- 4/8/2002 10:52:40 PM   
kshinner

I'm in the midst of MCNA right now. I don't remember the that specific scenario. Anyway, I think any time you have an exit hex, you need to get everything you can off the map. My understanding is that anything left ON the map counts for the enemy.

Also, I've had problems with MCNA where I would exit some units off the map, save the game to temporarily continue my real life, and come back to play the rest. Problem is, the game seemed to forget to count the points for the units I exitted before saving. If you got an "exit off the map" scenario, seriously consider playing it all the way out.

"We got our own ammuninition - it's filled with paint. When we fire it...it makes pretty pictures - scares the hell outta people." - Oddball

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 10
- 4/9/2002 1:10:40 AM   
Wild Bill

Hey John,

Let me see if I can help. The general intro to that battle is for the default battle which says in the intro:

----------------------

"YOUR ORDERS - Derna - April 7th, 1941

We have an urgent situation developing, Oberst. Italian units have found themselves trapped under enemy attack. They are brave fighters but may be heavily outnumbered. This is urgent, Herr Oberst.

You are to form a rescue force, using whatever is available and save our men. Move out at once. Use caution in your advance and keep the highway open. British units are everywhere so keep your eyes open."

So the scene has been set. Italians are under attack and need your help. Instead of this battle you chose the alternate, "A Different Way."

------------------------

Now the alternate battle you chose has these instructions. Note the phrase "don't get cut off." This is what I think you missed.

--------------------------

"Your taking an alternate route to get to the Italian force has been approved, Colonel. British are circulating in the area. Be sure you don't get yourself cut off before you get to the Italians."

Anytime there is an exit hex, you must exit any and all units possible. Any left on the map count points against you. You also get bonus points for units you exit. The fact that you did not exit means that you did not get there in time to help the Italians and therefore did not complete your mission.

That is why the score came out as it did. I hope this helps.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 11
Yea, That's It Bill! - 4/9/2002 1:35:57 AM   
John David

Hey Wild Bill,

Thanks. That's the explanation I was looking for. I have to read between the lines more carefully from now on when getting the briefing before a mission.

The fact that I didn't exit my units so that they could get to the Italian forces makes perfect sense why the score for the battle came out the way it did.

Bill, let me just take this opportunity to thank you for ALL the work you have done for this great game. I love playing your scenarios and I trully enjoy all the background info that you have done for them as well as the MC's. All the work you have done for MC Watchtower is great, and your mission briefing voice overs are just the tonic to get us fired up before a battle!

I hope you will continue to create these things for this and many other games! Your the best!:cool:

John

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 12
- 4/9/2002 2:22:04 AM   
Wild Bill

Wow! I am very awed by your comments, John. I thank you for them. It has been a wild and fun ride. Your support and encouragement, along with that of so many gamers has been that "extra log" on the fire to keep my own enthusiasm going so very often.

No, I'm not through yet. The fire still burns. There are still some "tricks" up the old Colonel's sleeve that we will be using for future efforts with Matrix.

Once again, many thanks. I feel very honored with such kind words. I am always at your orders, my friend.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 13
Your Welcome! - 4/9/2002 2:43:07 AM   
John David

Bill,

Although not a soldier myself, as you will see if you read my post on the terrific thread that was started by Les The Sarge,
I wish you could see the big Marine salute that I am flashing at you know! :cool:

Thanks for the kind words.

John

(in reply to John David)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> A Question About MCNA & Scoring Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI