Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sub patrols

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Sub patrols Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sub patrols - 8/7/2008 11:25:40 PM   
firefly177

If a sub is in a base, can I create a TF Sub Patrol, assign a sub and then turn it over to the computer? It seems I have mixed success with that and can't determine what are the factors for success.
Post #: 1
RE: Sub patrols - 8/7/2008 11:36:36 PM   
Terminus

Yes, you can. But you really, really shouldn't. The program isn't smart enough to control it.

Same with your other thread about TF course selection.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to firefly177)
Post #: 2
RE: Sub patrols - 8/8/2008 12:02:39 AM   
thegreatwent

As T posts the computer control leads only to frustration and weird unit decisions. You are best off controlling all your units personally. In response to your other post Gem offers a good tool for supply convoys. For Sub patrols I will often group a bunch of subs and send them to their patrol area. Once there I then split them up and begin manual patrol operations. Both these things cut down on keystrokes.

BTW welcome to the madhouse

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Sub patrols - 8/8/2008 3:23:09 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

As T posts the computer control leads only to frustration and weird unit decisions. You are best off controlling all your units personally.

I would add this caveat: If you are playing against the AI, your advantages are quite large already. So you can offset that a bit by letting your AI attack the enemy AI. Plus it's one less thing to do, which is not a small plus in a game of this complexity!

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 4
RE: Sub patrols - 8/8/2008 3:24:35 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

As T posts the computer control leads only to frustration and weird unit decisions. You are best off controlling all your units personally.

I would add this caveat: If you are playing against the AI, your advantages are quite large already. So you can offset that a bit by letting your AI attack the enemy AI. Plus it's one less thing to do, which is not a small plus in a game of this complexity!

Against AI or human PBEM games, putting stuff on computer control is done so at your own risk.
Good luck with it.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 5
RE: Sub patrols - 8/8/2008 3:24:14 PM   
Charbroiled

I think that if the sub is on "computer" control, it is suppose to follow a TF that goes through it's hex for another shot in the next hex, but I have never seen it happen.

I seem to have more "sub attacking" success if the sub is on "human" control.

Even if the sub is on "human", it will still return to base when it is out of torpedos or fuel. However, they almost always run out of fuel first and the computer usually doesn't send it home until the fuel is so low that there isn't enough to completely make it to it's home port. The computer also isn't very good at sending the sub home when it is damaged.

On every turn (when I remember), the last thing I do before I end the turn is click on the ship list at the top and sort by "SS". I will then sort the subs by "endurance". If the sub's endurance is in the red, I will automaticaly send home. If the sub is in the tan, I will click on "TF??" to see where the sub is. If it has a long way to go, I will send it home.

After that, I will click on the "ammo" button and sort by % of torpedo's left. If they are low, I'll send them home. There is little need to keep a sub on station if it doesn't have torpedos (unless it is being used as a spotter).

Also, I would recommend trying to keep track of what subs were "spotted" during the turn. If it was "spotted", I will change it's patrol hex. If you don't, then chances are the next TF the sub sees will be a ASW TF.

EDIT: When in the ships screen and have "SS" isolate, I sort by sys damage. and start sending subs home that have taken damage. If is very easy to miss the "Betty spots Trigger"..."Trigger hit by bomb" message, so you could have a damaged sub and not even know about it. The computer is not very good about sending these subs home, and if you don't take care of it, the sub will just stay there and get sunk.

< Message edited by Charbroiled -- 8/8/2008 3:27:41 PM >

"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 6
RE: Sub patrols - 8/8/2008 5:55:56 PM   
Anthropoid

Charbroiled: great how-to stuff thanks!

Did you guys see this thread

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1884580

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on those issues there.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 7
RE: Sub patrols - 8/8/2008 6:18:05 PM   
bradfordkay

To elaborate on Charbroiled's comments: the operations report is your friend as ComSubPac. I go through the operations report every day and click on the hex of each sighting listed. It is painstaking, I admit, but it means that my sighted subs rarely stay in the same location (sometimes I leave them there as a deterrent to my opponent!), and it also reminds me of which of my sirface TFs have been compromised.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 8
RE: Sub patrols - 8/9/2008 12:50:58 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35
Against AI or human PBEM games, putting stuff on computer control is done so at your own risk.
Good luck with it.

There's a good rule that applies equally well in games and real life: "Don't sweat the small stuff". And devoting time to managing submarines when your opponent is the AI? Definitely "sweating the small stuff!"

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 9
RE: Sub patrols - 8/9/2008 12:55:40 AM   
Gem35

quote:

quote:

Good luck with it.

There's a good rule that applies equally well in games and real life: "Don't sweat the small stuff". And devoting time to managing submarines when your opponent is the AI? Definitely "sweating the small stuff!"

Guess I am guilty as charged then.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 10
RE: Sub patrols - 8/9/2008 5:20:37 AM   
Feltan

quote:

quote:

Good luck with it.

There is another good rule: mind your pennies and your dollars will mind themselves.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Sub patrols Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI