Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beta testers, please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Beta testers, please Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beta testers, please - 7/24/2008 9:59:36 PM   
cpdeyoung

Folks,

I have a new scenario launcher I would like to make available as I work on it. It shows you a bit about the scenario you might wish to try, and it has a feature I have wanted for awhile. It can launch a generated scenario with a setup turn, as the campaign does. This will allow you to generate a "River Crossing", for example, exit, and then load it using my launcher, selecting "Setup phase" and move the units about. I think this works, but I have not tested it very much.

I want to continue working on this, but if you want to try this version please contact me. It is only 169KB, so light weight for mailing at 92KB zipped. It does not require a run time package.

Chuck

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cpdeyoung -- 7/24/2008 10:13:50 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/24/2008 10:50:58 PM   
Jason Petho

Looks great, Chuck!!

Jason Petho

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 2
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/24/2008 11:00:00 PM   
cpdeyoung

Thanks Jason, it has been great fun.  I have many new features in mind.

Chuck

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/24/2008 11:08:38 PM   
rich12545

Wow.  That really looks great.  May I suggest a feature that shows what size scenario it is?

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 4
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/24/2008 11:49:09 PM   
big dawg

That is impressive.  I would like to try it.  I am leaving for vacation, so it will be a 2 weeks before I could provide much feedback.  Well done!

dawgs85@monroeaccess.net

Could you provide simple instructions to install this add-on?

Jack

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 5
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 1:10:39 AM   
marcbarker

I guess mine is obsolete now...oh well.....later taters

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 6
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 1:15:45 AM   
Jason Petho

Two different beasts, I believe.

Jason Petho

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 7
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 1:19:55 AM   
marcbarker

Yeah I think so...nice though...I see though why he wanted a copy of the data base. thats cool I hope he can do alot more with it. I know I have. I incorporated the Platoonxx.oob thru battalion for the dynaic OOB generator. I am just weak on VB is all. Wished I knew alot more.

Post #: 8
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 1:31:24 AM   
cpdeyoung

Hey Marc,

No way do our tools compete!  I have been working with these ideas awhile and am sure we have two very "different beasts".  Mine is dynamic, reading the scenario files and gleaning what I can from them.  I do not intend to duplicate your spectacular depth on the established scenarios.  In fact if you will allow it I would like to try to integrate your webpage into my program by putting a HTML parser on it and loading your index page.  I have not begun anything like this yet, but if you do not mind a "link to" I will give it a try.

If I can help you with your programming I would be happy to.  We can share a lot, Marc, and it's all good!

Chuck

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 9
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 1:41:37 AM   
marcbarker

not a prob...whatever you want to do... i ain't one like some people I know in this business that goes ape over crap. Me CS is a hobby.....Guess what I do for a living. I am a codeveloper of a program called circuit flash. It is a wire trace program with automated hyperlinks that Highlight wiring schematics and link to the components and also do trouble shooting manuals for aircraft. google Circuit Flash Gulfstream Aerospace....I am a wiz at the post script side linked with cad programs etc.

The reason why I got into CS was that it is fun and the ability to mod was there. I have a knack for scripting into programs and get what I need it to do. I would love to have Jpg of all the Scenario maps. This cut and paste routine is tedious at best. Once the Jpg files are ready the linking part is easy. I create battle area maps from these. that link to CS and start the scenario from there.

Once you put your mind to it it is amazing what you can accomplish.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 10
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 2:12:48 PM   
cpdeyoung

Good morning all,

Here is shot of the latest version. A more detailed scenario list.

Thanks to all who have suggested ideas.

Chuck

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 11
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 2:37:28 PM   
marcbarker

You know it may not be a bad idea and combine the 2. I bet that would be a kick butt thing...what say you

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 12
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 2:44:02 PM   
cpdeyoung

I agree, and will try adding a browser element asap.  I will be driving four hours this afternoon, and am working this morning, but I should have something pretty soon.  As I understand your program all I need to do is get the user to your entry, index, page.  They will be able to use your internal navigation to get from document to document.  I will make the control big, because you have a lot to look at!

Chuck

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 13
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 3:04:24 PM   
Huib

The minutes indication is sort of not necessary. The six minutes thing is one of the most unclear things about the whole game. Better to leave that out. It's a discussion in itself but I've heard players say the most hilarious things about the timespan of CS turns. It is probably not for nothing the John Tiller in all his later games states that turn timespans are variable per scenario.

< Message edited by Huib -- 7/25/2008 3:06:19 PM >

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 14
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 3:15:20 PM   
marcbarker

why not make the standard 5 minutes for turn based options...ie 12x 5 = 60 min battle so a full days battle would be 144 turns... there is a rounding effect why 6 min anyways?

(in reply to Huib)
Post #: 15
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 3:28:26 PM   
Jason Petho

6 minutes is the number used to determine how far a unit can move during the course of a turn.

6 minute turns have nothing to do with combat, which I believe is the biggest issue for creating historically related scenarios.

Jason Petho

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 16
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 3:41:57 PM   
cpdeyoung

The .scn file actually has the "minutes" and not the "turns".  I took the value stored and divided by six to get turns.  Actually I have never had a bad feeling about the turn taking about six minutes.

I am driven by how I interpret the scenario file, and there is much I do not know.  My "complexity index" is determined by the amount of space used to describe the units in position and renforcements.  If anyone knows data I can mine from from the scenario file please let me know.

Here is what I "think" I "know".

Line : Contents
====   ========
01 :
02 : Title of scenario
03 : ??? ??? ??? NumberTurns*6
04 : ??? ??? ??? ??? VisibilityHexes
05 : AlliedAir AxisAir AlliedSmoke AxisSmoke AlliedAmmo AxisAmmo
06 : AxisFirst(1)AlliedFirst(0)
07 : MajDefeat MinDefeat MinVictory MajVictory ScenarioType(0-11)
08 : AlliedAI AxisAI ??? ???
09 : Map file name
10 : Org file name
11 :
12 :
13 : NightBool(0,1) AlliedStarshells AxisStarshells

Chuck

Post #: 17
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 6:13:19 PM   
Huib

For CS designing the designer needs to filter out all the moments that there was no action in the historical battle. So by definition the designer defines the # of turns that works for a certain battle in a certain timeframe. If you have a scenario of 144 turns and you don't move any units in 120 of them you would probably have a realistic representaion of reality. We all know the game is not designed that way.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 18
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 7:33:23 PM   
marcbarker

I was thinking of a way to transition day to night in that context for the reason as to not have to edit the file at all:

each turn represent a time of day: this would be based on the 5 minute thing

1-54 = night (night rules)
55-84 = dawn (limited visibilty)
85-216 = day
217-246 = dusk (limited visibility)
247 - 288 = Night (Night Rules)

Could not an alogirithm, be calculated so that when time is selected it automatically calculates the start turn add the turn numbers to that and for each turn a visibility check is then initiated to calculate the range of sight right after each turn?

(in reply to Huib)
Post #: 19
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 7:36:07 PM   
marcbarker

Did not the Battleground Series cover this? I know they have scenarios that do transitions day to night why not incorporate that structure?

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 20
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/25/2008 7:42:05 PM   
marcbarker

found the transition stuff it does make sense like this. So the question I have why doesn't matrix do this for CS?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 21
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/26/2008 12:53:57 AM   
cw58

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

The .scn file actually has the "minutes" and not the "turns".  I took the value stored and divided by six to get turns.  Actually I have never had a bad feeling about the turn taking about six minutes.

I am driven by how I interpret the scenario file, and there is much I do not know.  My "complexity index" is determined by the amount of space used to describe the units in position and renforcements.  If anyone knows data I can mine from from the scenario file please let me know.

Here is what I "think" I "know".

Line : Contents
====   ========
01 :
02 : Title of scenario
03 : ??? ??? ??? NumberTurns*6
04 : ??? ??? ??? ??? VisibilityHexes
05 : AlliedAir AxisAir AlliedSmoke AxisSmoke AlliedAmmo AxisAmmo
06 : AxisFirst(1)AlliedFirst(0)
07 : MajDefeat MinDefeat MinVictory MajVictory ScenarioType(0-11)
08 : AlliedAI AxisAI ??? ???
09 : Map file name
10 : Org file name
11 :
12 :
13 : NightBool(0,1) AlliedStarshells AxisStarshells

Chuck

I believe the four numbers in line 4 (before visibility) are the conditions of the scenario; trees, ground, water & fields, in that order.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 22
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 5:55:24 AM   
cpdeyoung

Folks,

I have implemented many of the ideas of the testers, and added a link to Marc Barker's webpage, currently under construction.

Chuck

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cw58)
Post #: 23
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 12:32:29 PM   
billk111

This is probally a stupid question but, where do you load in this program, in the root directory of JTCS folder or in each games folder?

Bill

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 24
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 2:36:14 PM   
marcbarker

I have discontinued my browser and have stopped work on it till my trademark and copyrigt goes trough. nothing else will be published nor dispalyed

(in reply to billk111)
Post #: 25
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 3:54:15 PM   
cpdeyoung

I recommend placing it in the folder "User_Mods" under JTCS, and then putting a shortcut on your desktop. It is very important to use the "Start in :" feature to assure that the application runs from the folder above "East Front", "West Front", and "Rising Sun". For me the "Start in:" line is "C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series" and it may be for you too. If you are running Vista please remember to uncheck the desktop composition just as in the JTCS link.

You may want to put the program, and dll file in their own folder, inside the User_Mods.

I enclose a snapshot of the properties of the link page so you can see how to set the "Start In:".

Chuck

Attachment (1)

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 26
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 4:04:17 PM   
cpdeyoung

I will take the pointer to Marc Barker's page out promptly.  I did not realize there were issues.  Only three people have that version and I will send them fresh programs as soon as I remove the link.

Future directions : I intend to allow filtering for complexity and length and scenario type.  A list of all scenarios in all three folders.

If my Sunday goes as planned I will have a new version today.

Chuck

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 27
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 4:21:26 PM   
marcbarker

I will need the name of your attorney or legal person, I will show and have shown as a program this type of program has been around as early as 1999. With date stamped emails to talonsoft of both the program and concept. Along with an ealry version of a visual basic program along with a compiled executable that was encrypted with time markers. very similiar to yours as well as layout.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 28
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 4:30:51 PM   
marcbarker

I am making sure this is in a public forum as to a record of events and timeline. I do not mind giving what I have away to any that ask on one hand but then given a push button on a program as a secondary thought. You have updated your program to include the launch, rating, etc. It would have been nice to have been asked to incorporate my stuff..... not pawn it off as to it was yours...I have learned my lesson. I will still develope stuff for my own but I will only hand it out on a per email basis FREE as a finished product. I will periodically post to the web site what I have accomplished and who is interested I will send them the necessary files. Thanks for everyones input and insight.

(in reply to marcbarker)
Post #: 29
RE: Beta testers, please - 7/27/2008 4:51:24 PM   
billk111

Thank you Chuck,works great, You did a bang up job on creating the program,am looking forward to it's use.

Bill

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Beta testers, please Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI