Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis Cossacks?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Axis Cossacks? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis Cossacks? - 4/29/2002 6:22:08 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

I recall reading years ago that a group of Cossacks fought for the Germans. All I can remember is that they were called Lyansk Cossacks (sp?). They fought with the Germans until the end of the war, when they fled West and surrendered to the U.S. forces, hoping to receive sanctuary against reprisals by the Soviets. Sadly, for them, they were handed back to the Soviets, and most of them were executed by the Soviet forces as payback for joining with the Axis against the U.S.S.R.

Can anyone fill in the gaps as to where they fought, and their combat record?

Will we see any of these Axis Cossack allies in LV? (I hope!). Thanks!

Eric Maietta
Post #: 1
- 4/29/2002 4:38:20 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Well,for what i know they also played a good role in Normandy in summer 44....they were spread in different german units at that time(so not fighting togheder)....with some Geaorgians (if i do not remember bad)....I think i remember that were cossaks that composed the patrol that cought the General Allied invasion plan ina landing boat abbandoned on the coast......but here my memory stops....
hope that helps

(in reply to AbsntMndedProf)
Post #: 2
- 4/30/2002 12:49:03 AM   
Belisarius

The Cossacks I know of are the Don Cossacks, who formed an own regiment / battallion with the 3rd Army and later Army Group South.

I quick search on google found this, which is a fairly detailed report, although somewhat hard to read due to poor text formatting...

[URL=http://members.tripod.com/~marcin_w/index-3.html]The Wehrmacht cossacks[/URL]

Got StuG?

Post #: 3
Cossack details - 5/6/2002 1:26:39 AM   
Oxtane

Prof,

Here is some more info for you from "The Calvary of World War II" Janusz Piekalkiewicz.

The German army was boosted in 1943 by the creation of a Cossack Cavalry Division under the leadership of Lt-Gen von Pannwitz. Later it became the 2nd Div and was subsequently combined with the 3rd Div, which was being formed during the later stages of the war and became the XV Cossack Calvary Corps.

Cossack horses were contorlled by weight of pressure and the "Nagaika" - the Cossacks thick plaited whip. The officers wore spurs as they had in the time of the Tsars. Curbs were scarcely used at all; the snaffle alone was suited to the Cossack style of riding. The horses were superbly trained. They would obey one rider alone, his voice or his whistle. There were about 160 Germans on the staff of a Cossack regiment of about 2000 horsemen. There were also "welfare officers" who looked after the Cossacks.

1st Cossack Div:
With the Von Pannwitz Mounted Force (formed on Nov 15, 1942) as part of Army group A) as the headquarters staff, two units were added on Aug 4, 43 to form a division. These were the Cossack Platow Cav Reg and the Von Jungschultz Cav Reg (formerly Prince von Urach).

1st Brigade. CO-Colonel Wagner - 1st Don Cossack Reg, 4th Kuban Cossack Reg, 2nd Siberian Cossack Reg, Caucaus Artillery Batalion.
2nd Brigade. CO-Colonel von Schulz. 3rd Kuban Cossack Reg, 5th Don Cossack Reg, 6th Terek Cossack Reg, Caucaus Artillery Battalion.

These two brigades were converted into division during the later months of 1943, with a fresh distribution of divisional troops and laster formed the Cossack Corps with Lt Gen von Pannwitz as commanding general. Both divisions saw action in 1944 in Croatia against Tito's partisans. The divisional command of the 2nd Div was stationed at Novo Gradiska. Except for the 5th Don Cossack Reg, which was led by the old Cossack General Kononov, all the regiments had German commanders. The language of command used in all regiments was Russian.

In December 1944, the Cossack Div was taken over by the Waffen-SS and converted by the SS command to form the 1st and 2nd Cossck Divisons of the XV SS Cossack Cavalry Corps on Apr 30, 45.

2nd Cossack Cavalry Div:
The 2nd Cossack was taken over by the Waffen-SS. It included the 3rd Kuban Cossack Reg, the 5th Don Cossack Reg, the 6th Terek Cossack Reg, and the 2nd Divisional units.

Uniforms: There were two types of Cossack headress:
Kubankas - the traditional fur caps of the Kuban and Terek Cossacks
Papaschas - the taller caps of the Don Cossacks.
Officers fur caps were made of astrakhan or black lambs skin, with the badge of the German Army in the front. The Siberian Cossacks wore white fur caps. The fur was topped by cloth, in each case in the appropriate colour for the army the man came from. All ranks wore a silver embroidered cross on top of their caps. The Cossacks spurned the use of steel helments, even in action.
From 1944, the 2nd Div wore the uniform and badges of the German Army-that is, normal service blouse with braided collar; shoulder straps and the national emblem, and the badge of the appropriate army unit. For the Cossack regiments, the service colour was yellow-gold for the cavalry and bright red for the artillery. Badgesand symbols of rank were German, with Cossack NCOs and sergeant majors wearing silver-braided collars.

Various members of the Cossack regiments wore a special badge on their left sleeve-a diagonally quartered shield in two colours, with a field grey strip on its upper edge adorned with the Cyrillic initial of the relevant army in light grey. Officers wore officers brown belts, and other ranks had normal army belts. Often they would carry a Shashka-the Cossack sabre with a brass handle but no hand-guard, and black leather sheath. They wore either field-grey or dark blue riding breeches with a stripe down the outer seam, plus black riding boots with strap-on spurs.

Both in and out of service the Cossacks wore Purkas - stiff capes of black pressed camel's hair. The purka was held by a buckle atthe neck. When riding, it would cover the horse from the saddle to the croup, providing protection from damp and cold. The so-called Baschlyk, a big hood with two long scarf-like ends, worn round the neck and tied with a cord, would flutter from the shoulders during the ride.

From 1942, the Cossacks had been eligible for a decoration for "bravery and merit of the peoples of the east", and later they were also awarded the normal German medals.

Hope this is enough info for you! LOL

Post #: 4
- 5/7/2002 3:06:06 AM   
Akmatov

As I remember it the Allies were totally startled to realize in Normandy that they were taking prisoners who spoke Russian. Kind of a first hint that all was not well in Uncle Joes Worker's Paradise.

There was also the Vlasov Army numbering in the thousands recruited out of the German POW camps, such as there were.

Additionally, according to a book I scanned in B&N years ago (it was gone when I went back to buy it the next day) many Russians were never passed to the rear, but were rather recruited by their capturing German divisions. Initally, they went into logistics support, but there were reports of there being a Russian platoon in many German companies in some divisions. This isn't well known because the author found he had to go into the individual division and regimental records to find the data. The fighting units despirately needed men, but the staff types back in Berlin, let alone the Nazis, were totally against such a scheme. If anyone knows the title I'd really like hearing so I can track it down.

At the end of the war most Russian POWs were turned back over to the Soviets. In Soviet law any soldier captured was concidered a traitor. There was a documentary on a while back where a Brit related his experience in Austria of repartriating Cossacks to the Russians. When the train pulled into the border station blood was leading from the doors - an entire trainload of hundreds of Cossacks had done a Masada - committed mass suicide, men, women and children. He also recounted watching other trains arrive on the soviet side where the POWs were met by the NKVD. Officers, NCOs and anyone else attracting the attention of the NKVD were taken to one side of the rail yard and machineguned by the hundred. The 'luck' ones went to the Gulag.

Post #: 5
- 5/7/2002 10:21:12 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

Thanks for all the information!

Eric Maietta

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Axis Cossacks? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI