Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

naval SAMs don't shoot

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> naval SAMs don't shoot Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
naval SAMs don't shoot - 11/4/2008 2:24:18 AM   
VictorInThePacific

I have a number of questions and comments about Harpoon.

First of all, whether this is an appropriate place to ask such questions. I have what is probably the original version of Harpoon, from 1989, actually running on a PowerMac would you believe. I believe that this version is now being called Harpoon Classic. I am assuming that the data for the units at the time was as correct as was then known, and that the main modifications to the game involved adding features and capacity (and scenarios, units, and that sort of thing). But it may be that the game is now sufficiently different that my questions and comments have no relevance. If this is the case, somebody please say so and I will stop posting what is irrelevant to this forum.

The second question is how I get my air-defence to shoot down targets that I consider to be threats. The problem can be illustrated with the following example. My Soviet fleet has multiple Grumble launchers and about 200 Grumble missiles (and lots of other stuff). The ships are using only passive radar and sonar. I have helicopters on patrol to scan the surface. They detect a handful of cruise missiles inbound, over 100 nm from the fleet. These (NATO) missiles travel at less than 20% of the speed of the Grumble. Whether my ships now use active radar or not has no effect on what follows (except as noted at the end). I can see the missiles approach my ships over the course of more than 10 min, maintaining full detection on them at all times. The air defence does not start shooting until the missiles are at point-blank range, at which time it really is too late.

I am not allowed to manually control the naval (or any) SAMs, so there does not seem to be anything realistic that I can do. (I do have several unrealistic solutions. For example, I have put a sub on the surface in front of the fleet with all its sensors active. It was quite amusing to watch 50 SSMs head for the last known location of my submersible and vanish.)

Over the course of a fair bit of testing, I think I have determined that the issue is that the air defence routines do not perceive enemy anti-ship missiles to be a threat unless they are actually locked on to a friendly ship. The computer appears to like to launch weapons at the first possible opportunity, which appears to include shooting at a lot of poorly detected targets. I can see the missiles come in over a long distance, and I know their course. I also know that none of my ships is on that bearing, typically because I try to evade the missiles by movement. When the enemy missiles approach within about 5 nm of one of my ships, their own guidance activates and they head for that ship (I can see the course change). That's when my air defence starts shooting, but it is generally too late.

I have observed this sort of problem in many situations. However, generally, when I am shooting missiles at ships, I overwhelm the target with stand-off weapons (they are free, right ?), and when my ships might get shot at, I never let the enemy detect them. In either case, it doesn't matter if the air defence shoots or not. But in certain scenarios, such as The Duel (GIUK), the surface units have to close and slug it out, so the air defence parameters are really important.

What I, as fleet commander, want to be able to do is to decide which enemy units are threats and which are not. If an enemy missile on a ballistic course is going to pass several nm by the outside of my formation (because I have evaded by moving the fleet sideways), I may decide to not shoot at it. But if an enemy missile on a ballistic course is headed towards the middle of my fleet formation, it most definitely is a serious threat, because it WILL find a target. Obviously, in the first case, I will want my active sensors to be OFF, while in the second case, it won't help much.

To conclude, this may simply be an issue with the original version of the game, and therefore irrelevant to HCE. It may be due to some part of the game mechanics that I do not understand. Or it may be an accurate representation of the way air defence computers function.
Post #: 1
RE: naval SAMs don't shoot - 11/4/2008 2:53:30 AM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: VictorInThePacific
To conclude, this may simply be an issue with the original version of the game, and therefore irrelevant to HCE.
Emphasis mine.

Afraid so.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to VictorInThePacific)
Post #: 2
RE: naval SAMs don't shoot - 11/4/2008 3:06:09 AM   
NefariousKoel

Sounds like the old version's issue.

You should buy the latest and greatest.

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 3
RE: naval SAMs don't shoot - 11/4/2008 4:25:05 AM   
TonyE

While I concur that HCE has made a lot of progress, you will see many of the same behaviors that are grating on you. Plus we're still working on the game so buy a copy and come be a tester/help writer/...

1. Your Grumbles, if the radars are on, will do a number on the incoming missiles. That said, Harpoons are flying at VLow which neccessarily decreases the range of intercept due to the short radar horizon. If your radars are off, you'll get pummeled.

2. HCE doesn't allow you fine-grained control of SAM usage. Some changes will be made at some point but I doubt you will be able to say, "Fire two SAMs at unit XY01". More likely you will tag a group of incoming missiles with a certain priority. I would consider it likely in a future development that you will be able to tell each group not to engage targets outside of a certain range.

3. The AI still tends to fire missiles as soon as it gets in range of the first unit.

4. The air defense routines do fire at incoming missiles not targeted on the firing group/unit. So much so that a number of years ago I started (and haven't finished) a re-worked area air-defense model where a ship prefers to defend itself and only grudgingly defends other groups (that's an oversimplification).

5. Hehe, weapons are free but we've got our approach at limiting them broadly defined so they won't be free forever.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> naval SAMs don't shoot Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI