Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Spencer Rifles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Spencer Rifles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spencer Rifles - 9/23/2008 3:33:40 AM   
haruntaiwan

Just had some battles against the Yankees where they were fielding elite brigades with Spencer rifles. Ouch. The best solution is to flank them. And hope they drop those rifles when they flee. I also try to surround and force surrender for any elite units.

As usual, the artillery unit got surrounded but held out morale wise so I didn't capture those guns either.

I'm playing either Lt. or Cpt. level with the July scenario, and I am finding it much tougher than the autumn scenario where the Rebs get the free level II forts in Virginia. (Man, try to build those forts on your own as the Confederacy....impossible.)

I also see more naval invasions by the Union in this scenario.

Why don't they do those in the Fall scenario? (I'm at work, so I forget the actual names of the scenarios.)
Post #: 1
RE: Spencer Rifles - 9/24/2008 5:30:13 PM   
Gil R.

No one's ever reported that there are more Union amphibious invasions in the July scenario than the November one. There's certainly nothing in the code. Are you sure of this? Could it just be a matter of "dice rolls" being different in the two games?

If this pattern does exist, the one thing that occurs to me is that maybe in July there are more unattached Union divisions, since in November most Union divisions start in the AOP army containers. But the AI will create more divisions and have those available for invasions soon enough.

(in reply to haruntaiwan)
Post #: 2
RE: Spencer Rifles - 9/25/2008 5:03:56 AM   
haruntaiwan

It is something I have noticed, but I would say its anecdotal. If no one else is seeing that, it might just be random. This game the Union consistently lands at New Orleans, besieges until I kick them out, then they come again. Its a pain in the rear (ha) for me to keep heading down there to do that, so its a good AI move.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Spencer Rifles - 9/25/2008 7:21:48 AM   
jkBluesman

Which version are you playing?

Post #: 4
RE: Spencer Rifles - 10/15/2008 8:49:02 AM   
haruntaiwan

I am not sure what version, but its fully up to date.

I just won the game last night. After a while the Feds stopped invading New Orleans - I would wait with a division or two nearby and as they got besieged down to low numbers I would come in and fight them, hoping to capture a few brigades and send them home to Annapolis.

That worked okay, but the fort repaired slowly, and eventually they took down the fort. Luckily that was their last invasion.

The whole East became a sitzkrieg, while the West was crazy, with two big Federal armies under Sherman and Sheridan scaring the bejeebus out of me. I finally wore them down after capturing a lot of their artillery in attack after attack they made. (I like them losing units and me gaining units.) At the very end, those two armies were left with such elite units that I couldn't capture them - they fight to last man.

Tough game.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 5
RE: Spencer Rifles - 11/12/2008 6:49:04 AM   
2ndACR

I have alot of Rebs armed with Spencer rifles and carbines for my Cavalry........They are very powerful.

I have seen a couple times where the Union does alot of sea invasions........heck the game I am playing now, newest version, Coming Tide scenario (not the balanced economy) the Union has launched 16 sea invasions on Mobile. I have the fort heavily built up, rifle pit, abaitis......but only 12lb artillery with 3 brigades with Spencers as a garrison. Not a single invasion has come close to taking the fort, I have seen sieges end after the turn it starts because there is no one left. 6,000 on the first go around and 4-6,000 on the second. Insane.

Waiting on the AI to wise up and either bring more troops, lots of artillery or at least try something other than frontal attacks. I think this is why my field army is wiping the field with the AI, he is losing too many troops attacking the same fortress. Oh yeah, I saved and pinched alot of penny's and built a Fort 3 there.

But when he does try for the place seriously, I will send my Cavalry Division down to take care of things.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Spencer Rifles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI