Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CSA Naval builds in 1.03b

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> CSA Naval builds in 1.03b Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 10/30/2008 8:38:39 PM   
silber

For the first time I've seen the CSA build commerce raiders after the EA. They are now up to 10, and have only finally stopped building them six months after the EA. It's early 1863, and I have a hard time, with thirteen cruisers (under two commanders, with a full rota of sub-commanders) catching any of them. If I'm lucky, less than half will actually raid.

Interesting. Maybe next time I play I will pull all of my cruisers off of blockade duty.

BTW, I know that only cruisers can intercept raiders, but how are gunboats and ironclads at blockade?
Post #: 1
RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 10/30/2008 8:46:12 PM   
Joel Billings

They are worth 1 blockade point while cruisers are worth 2.

(in reply to silber)
Post #: 2
RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 10/31/2008 1:53:27 AM   
Treefrog

The Union typically needs 20 cruisers with appropriate leaders (and in supply) to eradicate the CSA pirates.

The cost benefit analysis on this is probably that building 20 is too steep in terms of cost and that a longer campaign of only your 13 is better. However, in the world of instant gratification, it is sweet to sink 1 or 2 per turn until they rascals are all gone.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to silber)
Post #: 3
RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 10/31/2008 3:01:01 AM   
Erik Rutins

The key with the raiders is to be on top of it as the Union from Turn 1. Commit cruisers to the raider box and never let the number of raiders get higher than the number of cruisers. In the long run, this strategy seems to work best.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 4
RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 10/31/2008 10:12:16 AM   
GShock

No no...they key is not to forget you need to keep the cruisers in supply or they will never catch a raider. 

When i realized that i felt the greatest of the dorks, lol

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 10/31/2008 7:31:03 PM   
silber

How do you keep them in supply?

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 6
RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 10/31/2008 9:16:40 PM   
Doc o War

put a transport out in the sea area to supply the ships

Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.

(in reply to silber)
Post #: 7
RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 10/31/2008 10:53:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

All your ships need to be connected by a transport chain to friendly (home) territory. So just keep a single transport in the zone that's next to the New England Coast and the Blockade zone and you'll be fine.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Doc o War)
Post #: 8
RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 11/3/2008 5:44:24 PM   
silber

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

All your ships need to be connected by a transport chain to friendly (home) territory. So just keep a single transport in the zone that's next to the New England Coast and the Blockade zone and you'll be fine.

So you don't need one in the Blockade zone itself, just the adjacent. Does this also apply for the raider box, or do you need a transport there as well.

Post #: 9
RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 11/3/2008 6:47:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

Correct, just need to have it adjacent if you're supplying the ships. Note that for those blockade areas that you've taken the islands on, you will need a transport in the sea zone to supply any troops on the island.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to silber)
Post #: 10
RE: CSA Naval builds in 1.03b - 11/16/2008 4:43:46 PM   
spruce

About supplying the ships - it's not very clearly in the manual I must say ! I lost my second Union game - do you guys know how many hours I spend on that ?

And a second thing - the manual says clearly to go and blockade the Confederate ports first and afterwards focus on the raiders - this thread suggests otherwise ! Now I come to think of it - if the raiders can hurt you for 3 years - 3 points a month - that's over 100 points ! And can indeed make the difference...

< Message edited by spruce -- 11/16/2008 4:44:10 PM >

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> CSA Naval builds in 1.03b Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI