Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Building bridges

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Building bridges Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Building bridges - 5/19/2002 12:22:04 AM   
BIG_AL_UK

I realise the timeframe for most SPWAW games is pretty small but is there a chance to introduce bridge building into the game?
The 1st scenario in LV is frustrating with all your vehicles stuck on the left bank of the river. It would be great if Engineers could knock up a pontoon bridge or maybe have the middle sescion of a blown out bridge able to be repaired.

Al
Post #: 1
- 5/19/2002 12:57:11 AM   
Belisarius

There was a discussion in a related thread a few months ago regarding bridge-building. Although there are units able to put up a bridge within the time frame of SP:WAW, the consensus was that it was unnecessary.

Btw, for the first mission in LV, you're better of without them tanks. ;) I marched my infantry in lines between the bunkers using smoke for cover, then fanned out around them when reached the bunker line. Don't worry too much of covering fire, use your arty to block LOS for the bunkers. They're sitting ducks.

Got StuG?

(in reply to BIG_AL_UK)
Post #: 2
Re: Building bridges - 5/19/2002 5:48:06 PM   
Henri

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BIG_AL_UK
[B]I realise the timeframe for most SPWAW games is pretty small but is there a chance to introduce bridge building into the game?
The 1st scenario in LV is frustrating with all your vehicles stuck on the left bank of the river. It would be great if Engineers could knock up a pontoon bridge or maybe have the middle sescion of a blown out bridge able to be repaired.
[/B][/QUOTE]

There ae no bridges in the first scenario and you cannot build any. You can use your tanks to ping away at some of teh bypassed bunkers, but they are basically useless in this scenario, unless the enemy crosses some units over to attack your mortars.

Henri

(in reply to BIG_AL_UK)
Post #: 3
- 5/20/2002 1:47:27 AM   
RockinHarry

In fact building bridges is far outside the scope of SPWAW! It would take at least several hours to build any, and there need to be a bridgehead first, free of enemy interdiction and LOS. Anything else would be unrealistic and unhistorical.;)

If you play further you´ll notice that the first LV battles deal with this topic in a certain way (crossing river, building bridgehead, expanding/securing bridgehead....ect.)...and don´t miss reading the scenario introduction text! It tells you much on this..

If a scenario designer wants to have damaged bridges repaired by engineers then he can place some amount of obstacles/wire on the bridge hex, this way simulating "repair".

have fun

_______
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to BIG_AL_UK)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> Building bridges Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI